Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 26 2009, 05:19 AM   #1
T'Baio
Admiral

Terminator 3 - Just terrible...

I just watched T3 for the first time since I saw it in the theatre, and I find it sad to say that I found it just as terrible, if not worse, than the first time I saw it.

The style is horrible, bad transitions, lame expositional dialogue explaining exactly what you're currently seeing (hence, not needed), lame humour like the gay stereotypes, sunglasses (really, three times!?!), the T-X grabbing his crotch and inflating her breasts and somehow controlling mechanical things like gas pedals and clutches by remote control, piss poor acting from Claire Danes (who I normally love) and mediocre acting from Nick Stahl, ridiculously stupid and non-sensical "nod to the fans" moments like Silberman!?! It was mostly just a terrible movie. The humour is just horrendous.

If it wasn't for the very end, the movie would be a complete write off.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Re: Terminator 3 - Just terrible...

the movie was rushed through post so the DVD's would come out around the time for the California Governor elections, I watched it recently for the second time last week and noticed a TON of stuff, if editing/finalizing a film was my job, and I had done that, i'd keep it off my resume
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

You should look into a "fan-edit" called The Coming Storm, I found it really brought out the best in that movie.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Harvey
Admiral

I don't think it's as good as the previous two installments--especially the first--but I don't find it to be as bad as many science fiction fans make it out to be. The critics agree with me, too, giving the film good, if not great marks (here and here).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 07:00 AM   #5
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

I was pleasantly surprised by this film, it ended up being much better than I expected.
cb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

When I saw it I described it as feeling like a pilot of a Terminator TV show. That's not a compliment.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I thought it was a piece of garbage myself. I never saw it in theatres so I bought the DVD and when I finally got around to watching it it was seriously disappointed. I wish it could be purged from film history.

Last edited by Savage Dragon; March 26 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Checkmate
Commodore

I really hated it myself.

The story was bad, the evolution of the Terminators into the super-science category was bad (especially since it wasn't logical; if Skynet had access to nanites and had a way of sending them back, as it apparently did, there's nothing Connor or anything else could do to stop them... instead, they were just a new form of robot that was slow, stupid and illogical), the acting was bad, and the casting was bad.

Just a really awful movie all around.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 12:43 PM   #9
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

SKYNET is SOFTWARE. Judgement Day not preventable.

Why the fuck didn't "Uncle Bob" mention that in T2?

"Oh, by da way. Evareeting we did to stahp skynet was meaninless, da fewshure is set."

Biggest crime Terminator 3 had...not using the classic theme music until the end credits.

The movie shouldn't have been made without Edward Furlong anyway.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 02:15 PM   #10
clint g
Admiral

I actually liked terminator three, especially the ending I suppose I just have a thing for the end of the world

I will agree with some things though, like the whole remote control gas pedal thing
Old March 26 2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Goliath
Vice Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
SKYNET is SOFTWARE. Judgement Day not preventable.

Why the fuck didn't "Uncle Bob" mention that in T2?

"Oh, by da way. Evareeting we did to stahp skynet was meaninless, da fewshure is set."
Actually, that was the one part of T3 that I liked, and which made sense.

To understand what was going on, you have to keep in mind that, by sending the Terminators back into the past, Skynet actually changed history.

Let the timeline leading up to Skynet's decision to send the Terminators back in time be TL1.

Skynet sends the first Terminator back in time, to kill Sarah Connor, and prevent John Connor from being born.

This attempt fails, and in the process, creates a new timeline, TL2, in which Skynet is developed and built, not the way it was in TL1 (which was not shown), but in a completely different way--out of the remnants of the destroyed Terminator.

Skynet then sends the second Terminator back in time, to kill the young John Connor. This second attempt also fails, and the remnants of all three Terminators are destroyed.

All this does, however, is create another new timeline, TL3. And in this new timeline, Skynet is developed independently of the events of either two movies, much as it was before the first movie.

The movies seem to assume that there is some kind of irresistible historical momentum leading toward some kind of Skynet. The events of the first movie accelerated this process, while the events of the second movie slowed it down--but nothing, it seems, can stop it.

But in each case, Skynet is a different entity, springing from different origins, and developing in different ways toward three similar (but not precisely similar) futures.

That said--yeah, T3 was pretty bad, all things considered.
Old March 26 2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

That's one aspect of the ideas presented in T3 that kind of throws me : Skynet will somehow inevitably emerge and his threat evolves with each successful attempt to stop this. But if you kill John Connor anytime prior to JD, its game over for us. So, no other leader will emerge, perhaps someone content to follow Connor in the original timelines? Perhaps this person, not trapped by the time-loop's 'Must Do This/Can't Allow That' foreknowledge, might actually do better?
Old March 26 2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Goliath
Vice Admiral

^Well, we just don't know, because John Connor has never yet been killed.

What we do know is that, under his leadership, the human resistance succeeds, and Skynet and the machines are defeated.

So, while someone else might be able to do it better, John Connor is a sure thing.

Suppose a doctor told you that you had flesh-eating disease in your leg. He can either amputate your leg, and save your life for sure--or he can try an experimental treatment, which will save your leg, but which gives you just a 50/50 chance of surviving.

I don't know about you, but at that point, I would say: "Why is my leg still attached? What's the hold-up with that amputation?"
Old March 26 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
NJOberheim
Captain

I actually didnt think it was that bad. It's not as bad as let's say, comparing Alien 3 to Aliens.

My only complaint was that some of the scenes seemed rehashed from T2. Like when Arnold first arrives and how he obtains his clothing. I can't remember any more off the top of my head, but i know there were a few toward the beginning.
NJOberheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 03:53 PM   #15
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

The big crane truck chase through Los Angeles is one of my favorite action scenes of recent memory and I fucking love the ending, I will give the movie those two props.