Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 26 2009, 09:10 PM   #631
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
From the article...
Isn't it an amazing coincidence that not only human life, but animal life as well, evolved exactly the same way on different planets light-years apart?
So even though we can't find existence of any kind of similar life outside of Earth, we're supposed to believe that Caprica evolved in exactly the same way, with humans looking identical as us (and sounding it, too) and even animals (like those pigeons we saw so much of in the final episodes) being the same? With the only real differences between us and them being that they liked to cut the corners off of their paper goods and say "frak" instead of our preferred F-word? And that the original 13th tribe also had a society that looked remarkably like ours, but with humanoid Cylons thrown into the mix? What. Are. The. Odds. Wasn't this supposed to be a science-fiction show?
If he thought about it a little more, he'd probably come up with a better answer. Maybe humans were transplanted to different worlds at some point in the past. Or maybe they moved around on their own in some past cycle. Also, their societies look the same because they were created out of the same "collective unconscious". To be fair though, that was explained by Moore and wasn't actually in the show. However, what was in the show was the whole "it happened before and it'll happen again" theme. I think that's a good enough way to explain why the same society keeps popping up again and again if you're not into examining the issue too deeply.
Any direct answer stated aloud by a character, say Head-Six or Head-Baltar, would've been pedestrian and not as interesting as what we the audience come up with to "fill in the blanks," imo.

I agree with you, "all this has happened and we'll happen again," is all I need to get that the same culture, society, and mistakes keep popping up time and time again.
Old March 26 2009, 09:20 PM   #632
RoJoHen
Awesome

N-121973 wrote: View Post
When Kara jumped the Galactica I thought she'd taken them back to the Earth from the mid-season cliffhanger
That would have been depressing as hell.
Old March 26 2009, 10:26 PM   #633
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The colonials forgot the lessons of the First Cylon War just forty years later.
How so?

Yes, they were still using technology, but they weren't building robots with AI to do their bidding.
As the behavior of Baltar and everyone else in the miniseries suggests, they were networking their computers again and well on their way to repeating the same mistakes. At least, that's my read on the scenario.
Networked computers = evil?

It was a tactical mistake, to be sure, but hard to say it's a moral one.

Old March 27 2009, 02:04 AM   #634
Aragorn
Admiral

^ I dunno, have you seen the people who play World of Warcraft?
Old March 27 2009, 03:15 AM   #635
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
How so?

Yes, they were still using technology, but they weren't building robots with AI to do their bidding.
As the behavior of Baltar and everyone else in the miniseries suggests, they were networking their computers again and well on their way to repeating the same mistakes. At least, that's my read on the scenario.
Networked computers = evil?

It was a tactical mistake, to be sure, but hard to say it's a moral one.
No--networked computers, plus the attitudes of most of the characters in the Miniseries equals Cylons all over again--if the Cylons hadn't intervened. The networked computers were just the first step towards recreating Cylons. I can speak of my view only, of course, and it is just speculation.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 27 2009, 03:18 AM   #636
Agent Richard07
Retired

"Revelations" got an 84% Excellent rating in the grading thread and "The Oath" got 82% Excellent. I wonder what this will get.
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Probably not as high. As a series finale, a lot of people may be disappointed. This is pretty much what it all comes down to. It's one thing to make a single pivotal episode, but to have a unanimously adored finale is something entirely different.

Which is not to say it won't be incredible, but different strokes for different folks.
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I've seen it quoted quite a bit and I think I too have the same view, but this episode will go a long way towards me thinking if this was a good series or not. I know a lot of people love this show and even if it's just watching Tigh or Adama drink, it would still be awesome (Perhaps that's a bit of an overexaggeration, but it helps the point), I feel there is a lot riding on this episode because it's the end of the series and the writers have made a lot riding on this episode. I hope it's good, I can't wait, but there is still a part of me that is really wondering what to expect and whether or not I will be slightly (or more) disappointed when it's all said and done.
As of this posting, we have 400 votes and the "Excellent" rating sits at exactly 72%. That's fourth place after "Revelations" (84.06%), "The Oath" (82.44%) and "Blood on the Scales" (79.66%).
Old March 27 2009, 03:22 AM   #637
RoJoHen
Awesome

"Revelations" got an 84% Excellent rating in the grading thread and "The Oath" got 82% Excellent. I wonder what this will get.
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Probably not as high. As a series finale, a lot of people may be disappointed. This is pretty much what it all comes down to. It's one thing to make a single pivotal episode, but to have a unanimously adored finale is something entirely different.

Which is not to say it won't be incredible, but different strokes for different folks.
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I've seen it quoted quite a bit and I think I too have the same view, but this episode will go a long way towards me thinking if this was a good series or not. I know a lot of people love this show and even if it's just watching Tigh or Adama drink, it would still be awesome (Perhaps that's a bit of an overexaggeration, but it helps the point), I feel there is a lot riding on this episode because it's the end of the series and the writers have made a lot riding on this episode. I hope it's good, I can't wait, but there is still a part of me that is really wondering what to expect and whether or not I will be slightly (or more) disappointed when it's all said and done.
As of this posting, we have 400 votes and the "Excellent" rating sits at exactly 72%.
It should also be mentioned that "Below Average" and "Poor" sit at a combined total of 9%.
Old March 27 2009, 03:22 AM   #638
Gregsmack
Captain

^ Interesting. Although the 'excellent' rating isn't as high as 'The Oath' or 'Revelations', I think the truth lies in the Average, Below Average, and Poor counts: less than 5% each.
Old March 27 2009, 11:43 AM   #639
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Out of how many voters? I mean for The Oath, Blood on the Scales and Revelations?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old March 27 2009, 02:47 PM   #640
Agent Richard07
Retired

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Out of how many voters? I mean for The Oath, Blood on the Scales and Revelations?
By the way, I should clarify that the finale came in fourth place this season.

Anyway, here's the info...

1) "Revelations" - 276 votes, 84.06% Excellent
2) "The Oath" - 262 votes, 82.44% Excellent
3) "Blood on the Scales" - 290 votes, 79.66% Excellent
4) "Daybreak, Part II" - 402 votes, 71.89% Excellent
5) "Sometimes a Great Notion" - 276 votes, 71.38% Excellent
Old March 27 2009, 07:22 PM   #641
Ethros
Vice Admiral

It should also be mentioned that "Below Average" and "Poor" sit at a combined total of 9%.
And how many of those are the usual fuckwits who vote without having seen the episode?

Or the sort who say "oh well I saw about 10 mins of an episode once a few years back and I didn't think much of it, so therefore I know everything about the show and can come in here shouting my mouth off about things I know nothing of and say things like "no I am right and you are wrong. Fact. End of. Period." Whilst ignoring the fact that I then look like a complete fool and a twat"
Old March 27 2009, 11:42 PM   #642
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I can't believe it's been a week since the finale. No more BSG.
Old March 28 2009, 06:07 AM   #643
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

So I just spent a good half hour composing my closing thoughts, I didn't see the finale until tonight. And the frakking BBS choked when I hit submit. I lost the whole damned thing.

So frak it. It was Excellent. I will miss this show for the rest of my days. And I'll never forgive this godsdamned site for blowing up and losing probably the most thought out thing I ever tried to write for the BBS. Eh, fuck it, it probably wasn't nearly as profound as I thought it was. Suffice to say I laughed out loud and cried like a little kid.
Old March 28 2009, 06:15 AM   #644
Aragorn
Admiral

For anyone who forgot to record tonight's episode, it took place a week after last week's episode. Helo caught some virus and Cottle used Hera's blood to save him. Tyrol was attacked by a savage and when he cut off his head, lighting struck him and someone Tyrol become "more." And Baltar had sex with a hairy cave woman.
Old March 28 2009, 07:47 AM   #645
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Aragorn wrote: View Post
For anyone who forgot to record tonight's episode, it took place a week after last week's episode. Helo caught some virus and Cottle used Hera's blood to save him. Tyrol was attacked by a savage and when he cut off his head, lighting struck him and someone Tyrol become "more." And Baltar had sex with a hairy cave woman.
This gives me the horrible idea of putting together faux grading and live discussion threads where we just make shit up about these character's lives on Earth.