Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 25 2009, 01:45 PM   #601
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

^ Aye
Old March 25 2009, 02:06 PM   #602
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
They are doing things differently. They are doing things completely differently. Clean slate does not = the memory wipe of 38,000 people. If anything, technology would have scarred them for life.

Yes. Who cares whether or not they died? They would have died in the fleet or on Earth regardless. The screen has faded to black already. Speculating about what happened is only speculation. Maybe they all made a really good go of it for a while. All that matters in this fiction is the choice that they made. This endless argument about technology/no technology is completely absurd.
We'll have to agree to disagree but I strongly disagree on both points. A clean slate is not the solution and it didn't work. And, I do care about these characters!

Mr Awe
I'll agree to disagree. I have no problems and no hard feelings.

But I do have to ask why you think a clean slate is not the right solution. I don't understand your reasoning whatsoever. Is there some precedent here you're referring to that the Colonials are tragically repeating? How did not it work? What didn't work? Obviously if NYC exists, there hasn't been another AI holocaust in 150,000 years -- a way better margin than the 2000 year intervals they had going there.
For me, it comes down to the philosophy of learning from your mistakes. If you wipe the slate clean, you're not really doing that. If they keep their knowledge and technology but set out to do something different, I think they'll have better odds.

It's true, there is no precedent either way. We don't know what choice would've been better, clean slate or not. I'll give you that. But, I'd still lean towards the option of retaining your knowledge, etc and learning from past mistakes.

It's true that in the series NYC exists 150,000 years later. But, our society is apparently headed on the same course, but we've lost the knowledge of the cycle and mistakes that were made altogether. I couldn't guarantee you that the other choice would produce a better outcome (who could) but it again goes back to that philosophy of retaining knowlege to learn from your mistakes.

Additionally, I think a huge part of why the colonials had no impact in our history (in the fictional universe) is that most died within a couple of years due to starvation, disease, and injury.

Onto a larger issue, I'm genuinely happy for those for whom this worked. Really. This includes you middyseafort, who I tried extending an olive branch too before. I don't want to rain on your parade and I'm pretty much done discussing the finale; I don't want to belabor points.

The finale and series mostly worked for me. For me, it's one of the most enjoyable series ever. Maybe I've just become a curmudgeon but there are just some things that didn't work for me. These things dampened my personal enjoyment as much as I tried to overlook them. I still gave the finale an Above average. It was a very entertaining episode that is far better than most things available on TV.

In the end, it worked perfectly for a lot of people and it didn't work perfectly for me. I certainly don't want to detract from anyone's enjoyment. But we all have different tastes, different expectations of what would've worked or not worked, different approaches, etc.

Mr Awe
Old March 25 2009, 04:39 PM   #603
Atlantia
Cadet

G'Day All

Gotta say, it took four years for the new series to hook me, fourth season did it!
As for the ending, it had some outstanding moments.
For me, 8/10.

'Where you can stand under a hundred billion stars at night...and never get bored with doing so!'
Old March 25 2009, 05:14 PM   #604
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
For me, it comes down to the philosophy of learning from your mistakes. If you wipe the slate clean, you're not really doing that. If they keep their knowledge and technology but set out to do something different, I think they'll have better odds.
Just because they gave up their advance technology doesn't mean they wiped the slate clean. The kept some of the more rudimentary technology like farming and though they didn't write down their history they must have passed the stories down to their descendants. Eventually these story came down to us as myths. Let's remember human survived for 150,000 compared that to the 10,000 year period between Kobol to Caprica.
Old March 25 2009, 06:46 PM   #605
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^^ They spread out very diffuse, the majority will die in a couple years, etc. The result is that, today, there is no knowledge of the cycle, what has happened before, etc. We're ready to repeat the same thing from scratch. The Colonials have had no impact.

Yeah, it's 150,000 years because the primitive humans didn't have the technology to destroy themselves but they had plenty of violence. The original Earth humans, Kobol, and the colonies all had the technology.

So, yeah, ditching the tech delayed it but, personally, I don't think it broke the cycle.

In the end we don't really know. You can argue one side and I can argue the other. I think we both enjoyed the finale which is what really counts.

Mr Awe
Old March 25 2009, 08:48 PM   #606
Harvey
Admiral

There's no knowledge of the cycle because it's been 150,000 years! There's no doubt that information was distorted with the passage of time, and possibly destroyed by any number of events. Nothing in the episode suggest the colonists plan on just forgetting everything. Hell, Lee's "you won't be forgotten, Kara" suggests the complete opposite.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 25 2009, 09:03 PM   #607
RoJoHen
Awesome

Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
^ I think Ethros was responding to Aragorn, about Lee hooking up with Ishay (the nurse portrayed by Bamber's wife).
Ah. I just jumped into this thread and did not have the patience to read it all (or even the last couple pages )
Old March 25 2009, 09:25 PM   #608
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Personally I voted Excellent.
Old March 26 2009, 12:10 AM   #609
cbspock
Rear Admiral

In the podcast RDM mentioned he chose 150,000 years ago because having them land at the time of the Greek and or the Roman Empire would have been too "Star Trek", and would only really connect them to Western civilization.

Although if he did do that, it would have directly connected the colonials into Greek/Roman mythology.

-Chris
Old March 26 2009, 02:25 AM   #610
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
It was not plausible for many reasons but the silliest thing is not only have we seen these people repeatedly squabble over the last scrap of material WE JUST SAW IT in part 1 (or maybe the previous ep) when they are dismantling Galactica.

Sure, it's not completely out of character and yeah 2 sentences from Lee will cover it, no problem.
Does anyone else get the feeling Lee was strung up with a primitive pulley mechanism made from the leather of the dead long before he ever managed to climb that mountain?

Old March 26 2009, 02:31 AM   #611
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Yes, because if there's anyone you can gang up on, it's Lee Adama. Lee Adama, who fought off about a dozen angry convicts hand-to-hand in "Bastille Day." Lee Adama, who subdued several thugs and assassinated the head of a merciless organized crime ring with nothing more than his fists in "Black Market." Lee Adama, who retook the Battlestar Galactica while wearing a suit and tie in "Blood on the Scales."

Yes, anyone who's lazy enough to bitch about having to pick their own berries could clearly take down Lee Adama.
Old March 26 2009, 02:35 AM   #612
nx1701g
Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
It was not plausible for many reasons but the silliest thing is not only have we seen these people repeatedly squabble over the last scrap of material WE JUST SAW IT in part 1 (or maybe the previous ep) when they are dismantling Galactica.

Sure, it's not completely out of character and yeah 2 sentences from Lee will cover it, no problem.
Does anyone else get the feeling Lee was strung up with a primitive pulley mechanism made from the leather of the dead long before he ever managed to climb that mountain?
I still find it interesting that they had everyone in the convoy of ships agree to it.
Old March 26 2009, 02:36 AM   #613
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Lee Adama is not Superman.

Old March 26 2009, 03:14 AM   #614
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post

I still find it interesting that they had everyone in the convoy of ships agree to it.
Like I've been saying, everyone agreeing on giving up their ships is way too Star Trek.

The Colonials in Greece or Rome would have been fun.

"It's frakking Alexander the Great!"
Old March 26 2009, 04:01 AM   #615
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
There's no knowledge of the cycle because it's been 150,000 years! There's no doubt that information was distorted with the passage of time, and possibly destroyed by any number of events. Nothing in the episode suggest the colonists plan on just forgetting everything. Hell, Lee's "you won't be forgotten, Kara" suggests the complete opposite.
The Colonist's "plan" all but guarantees that the knowledge of the cycle, Cylons, etc will be forgotten by the time humans would need it again the most, when they next develop the technology again.

I think the Colonials should've tried developing a new technological civilization while they still had that fresh in their minds. No way that the Colonials would've forgotten the attacks on the colonies.

Mr Awe