Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 24 2009, 03:46 AM   #541
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
I was just thinking with the fleet now living on earth would they have illness that the natives would have no natural deferences against.
Which could wipe them out?

and vis versa.

-Chris
Old March 24 2009, 03:59 AM   #542
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Is it realistic to think that humanity would give up all their technology?
It's not realistic to think that those people would all give up their technology. They just had a big, frakkin' mutiny because the people in the fleet couldn't agree on what to do! Now they all act cooperative? Bullshit!

Apollo's logic WHY they should give up their tech is way too airy-fairy to have convinced many people. Give up your tech and the cycle of violence stops? How? Why? What is the mechanism by which that would happen that guarantees it would happen?

And in fact, there was no guarantee, because the cycle of violence didn't stop. Just look at the violence that has plagued Earth in the last 150,000 years. Looks like the Colonials didn't accomplish a frakkin' thing. Should have kept their goodies.

I would imagine there were a few dissenters who were simply drowned out. It's not like you can allow 15% of the population to take all the technology. Guess which group ends up enslaving the planet in a few generations?
Yup. So why didn't they just grab the tech and do as they pleased? They could have enslaved the others immediately, why wait?

1. Technology is not necessary for violence. Those cavemen walking across the savannah that the Colonials glimpsed were plenty violent. Just give them a stick or a rock, and intrude on their hunting grounds.

2. Robots are not necessary for violence. The Cylons behaved no worse than humans have been known to.

So - why eschew technology or robots? They aren't the problem!!!

Well, it's been 145 years since we've enslaved any Negroes and no one has tried to kill all the Jews in the last 63 years.
What the frak!?!? There are slaves in Africa now. There are groups dedicated to the extermination of all Jews now.
Old March 24 2009, 04:22 AM   #543
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

boozebum wrote: View Post
What Lee says is meaningless sophist BS. Technology is simply neutral like how a hammer is neutral. How we use it is what morality covers.
We saw how the Colonials used it, and that led directly to the utter nuclear destruction of twelve colonies and 99.9999 percent of humanity.

Your suggestion that they'd do better morally or in terms of judgment as they struggled with one another on Earth for the remaining scraps of Colonial tech is, well, meaningless sophist BS.
Old March 24 2009, 04:46 AM   #544
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

Well given that on Kobol, technology lead to mankind's ruin. Then it happened on the original Earth and again on the Colonies. Baltar was attempting to restart research on AI in the miniseries.

They clearly kept some technology, to what level we don't know. But Lee's plan worked. The cycle didn't repeat for over 150,000 years and it may have ended completely. Mankind did survive and hadn't developed more Cylons, so far.
Old March 24 2009, 05:02 AM   #545
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Well given that on Kobol, technology lead to mankind's ruin. Then it happened on the original Earth and again on the Colonies. Baltar was attempting to restart research on AI in the miniseries.

They clearly kept some technology, to what level we don't know. But Lee's plan worked. The cycle didn't repeat for over 150,000 years and it may have ended completely. Mankind did survive and hadn't developed more Cylons, so far.
It's true, their previous best record was - what, a few thousand years between holocausts? At least Lee managed to stretch it out a bit.
Old March 24 2009, 05:54 AM   #546
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
1. Technology is not necessary for violence. Those cavemen walking across the savannah that the Colonials glimpsed were plenty violent. Just give them a stick or a rock, and intrude on their hunting grounds.

2. Robots are not necessary for violence. The Cylons behaved no worse than humans have been known to.

So - why eschew technology or robots? They aren't the problem!!!
Because a baseship, armed with nukes, run by pissed off robots is a bit more of a threat to the human race than a slingshot.
Old March 24 2009, 06:10 AM   #547
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

It was not plausible for many reasons but the silliest thing is not only have we seen these people repeatedly squabble over the last scrap of material WE JUST SAW IT in part 1 (or maybe the previous ep) when they are dismantling Galactica.

Sure, it's not completely out of character and yeah 2 sentences from Lee will cover it, no problem.
Old March 24 2009, 06:21 AM   #548
Soar_Dude
Lieutenant Commander

Magisterfrodo wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
It wasn't realistic that all of them gave up their technology. I can see some following Lee's way but no all. Having everyone agree to a plan like that is too much like Star Trek. On BSG, the fleet is ready to mutiny at the drop of a hat.
I would imagine there were a few dissenters who were simply drowned out. It's not like you can allow 15% of the population to take all the technology. Guess which group ends up enslaving the planet in a few generations?
I think you might be missing the Atlantis angle myth has them doing acts that would seem magical to primitive folk. It could also explain why their technology did not survive as the contenient sank in a cataclysmic earthquake or volcanic eruptions.

Soar Dude
Old March 24 2009, 07:22 AM   #549
species5618
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I dont think they spoke English at all. Nor was Galactica written in English...but it was used to make the story workable and accessible to viewers.
I thought that at first too. It's a widely used convention in science fiction. This time though I can accept that the Colonials actually were speaking english and had the same written language we do. Pretty much everything we have and use was developed before, so why not language as well?
I suppose if their architecture, music, system of government, cars, clothing (I could go on here...) are all similar to ours, why not language and writing as well?

Unless they weren't really driving Hummers and wearing suits, and those elements too were 'translated' from some alien equivalent for the viewer's benefit. I don't think so, though. I think somehow (and I refuse to speculate beyond 'somehow') culture, language and all the rest was passed down through the ages.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old March 24 2009, 08:04 AM   #550
Saul
Rear Admiral

Excellent. I didn't expect it to end this way. I thought the old man and the ship would bite the dust. Loved the first hour of it. Balls to the wall action with Cylons taking on Cylons. I thought everyone was going to die in the final shootout between them all when Galen killed Tori.

I didn't expect Laura to make it to Earth or for Starbuck to just disappear. Was her Viper an angel too?

It's a pity they didn't have a final Adama and Tigh moment though.
Old March 24 2009, 08:39 AM   #551
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

I don't think that everybody gave up their technology... after all, we have to consider the myth of Atlantis. That being said, I have a feeling that we'll be debating/arguing over this for many more years.
Old March 24 2009, 08:40 AM   #552
Foxy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I loved this ending and I'm glad they didnt try to over explain everything. Tigh and Adama had one last sceen face to face in the CIC directing the battle which I thought was good, so I guess that was their moment before they all moved on.

At 1st I wasnt sure about the 150,000 years later bit, but after watching it again it really sort of fell into place ... for me at least
Old March 24 2009, 09:04 AM   #553
AlanC9
Fleet Captain

Did the Colonials have any realistic way to maintain their technology if they wanted to? With 40,000 people you can maybe make Iron Age technologies work. You've got no chance of industrialization; you'll get killed on economies of scale. And there's no reason to suspect that they've got the skills to make, say, medieval techs work. Is there even one blacksmith? One stonemason who won't be helpless when the last spare parts for the power tools are used up?

I figured Lee was trying to put a positive spin on a bitter and brutal truth
Old March 24 2009, 09:32 AM   #554
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

After listening to the podcast for this, it feels a lot like what happened during the ending of season 3. They put a lot of plot threads in the air, but they went nowhere because the one supporting them was dropped. In season 3, the Saggitaron plot lead to Baltar's stabbing, the Trial, The Woman King, and whatever else. When they dropped the Saggitaron plot, it all sputtered out.

According to the podcast, dropping Ellen as a villian and removing the fullscale revolution changed everything. Deadlock is dead in the water since it doesn't leads to Ellen siding with Cavil. It also screwed up the CapSix baby plot. Hera was suppose to go to CapSix as a replacement baby after her miscarriage. Now, her whole pregnancy goes nowhere and Tigh drops her like a brick without even a second look or kind word. Not only that, it makes the whole opera house thing much ado about nothing. Baltar's cult with guns also now goes nowhere because they dropped the revolution/cult plot in favor of an earlier and smaller mutiny plot. Removing the revolution also killed the significance of the whole rebel basestar. I'm also guessing the whole 'Roslin in sickbay putting X's on peoples heads' thing was originally going to feature Athena/Helo dying, and at that point she decides to go after Hera.

I don't see why he had to change the whole ending to the series just because he didn't want Ellen as a villian. If there was no strike, the ending would have been much tighter.

Last edited by T'Pers0n; March 24 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old March 24 2009, 09:47 AM   #555
Aragorn
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Galen couldn't have been the ancestor of anyone. He specifically said that there were no people where he was going.
I'm sure a couple dozen Sharons followed him up there. He probably wouldn't complain after being by himself.