Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 23 2009, 11:47 PM   #526
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

Galactica Sitrep reposts and links to a couple of very interesting posts directly relating to this, and more generally discussing the benefits of technology to quality of life, as well.
Old March 24 2009, 12:09 AM   #527
SeerSGB
Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
It wasn't realistic that all of them gave up their technology. I can see some following Lee's way but no all. Having everyone agree to a plan like that is too much like Star Trek. On BSG, the fleet is ready to mutiny at the drop of a hat.
Depends on how you sell the deal to each ship/group of people. For some the ideal of "A clean slate" might appeal to them, to others it might be the ideal of doing whatever the fuck they want without Adama or the Qurom telling them what to do ("here, have an island, do whatever you want we don't care").
Old March 24 2009, 12:17 AM   #528
Agent Richard07
Admiral

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I dont think they spoke English at all. Nor was Galactica written in English...but it was used to make the story workable and accessible to viewers.
I thought that at first too. It's a widely used convention in science fiction. This time though I can accept that the Colonials actually were speaking english and had the same written language we do. Pretty much everything we have and use was developed before, so why not language as well?
Old March 24 2009, 12:30 AM   #529
boozebum
Ensign

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
And all the people who completely missed the point of the story fail to realize that Lee and the Colonials decided that rebuilding a new society exactly like the one they just lost would defeat the point of beginning with a clean slate. Whether or not they caught diseases after the screen faded to black is irrelevant. What's important is that they decided for a change. If you've watched the series at all, the pre-Cylon New Caprica disaster illustrates their struggles in building a new society from scratch pretty well.
They ended up pretty much where they were 150,000 years later. Congratulations on the amazing change. Now they don't even have the knowledge to avoid the mistakes of the mistake. All they did was postpone their development and make their descendants ignorant. Something anybody at the time would have been able to see.

It's also blatantly stated by Lee during his bit about human technology moving faster than the human ability to control it. Just because you personally take issue with humans giving up technology after the apocalypse doesn't mean it is "monumentally retarded"
What Lee says is meaningless sophist BS. Technology is simply neutral like how a hammer is neutral. How we use it is what morality covers. Avoiding technology and purposely diving into ignorance isn't the high road, it's moral cowardice. Instead of learning to control themselves and technology they just leave it to their descendants to blindly deal with, without the benefit of the lessons of the past.

You make the black or white fallacy it's either Caprica sytle modern technology or the neo-luddite primitism.

They could have easily set up a primitive industrial society like the Amish. That way they won't "move faster than their ability to control technology" (meaningless load of BS by the way) instead they chose luddite primitism that condemn thousands of their people to starvation, death from easily curable diseases, death during child birth, being killed by hostile tribes, etc.

It condemned MILLIONS of their descendants to death because they felt they "lost control of technology" (aka built sentient robots). Surely rebuilding advanced society (over centuries) while keeping in mind NOT to create sentient beings for slaves would have been a better idea? That way they don't condemn millions of people to death because they might do something bad with technology in the future?

Surely, developing human ethics and morals to incorporate the hard lessons of the past is better than simply scapegoating technology?

Ah, I forgot this is a logic free zone.
Old March 24 2009, 12:37 AM   #530
boozebum
Ensign

Gregsmack wrote:
Just because you personally take issue with humans giving up technology after the apocalypse doesn't mean it is "monumentally retarded"
I find giving up their best tools for survival and revival after the near extinction of their race pretty retarded.
Old March 24 2009, 12:41 AM   #531
boozebum
Ensign

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I dont think they spoke English at all. Nor was Galactica written in English...but it was used to make the story workable and accessible to viewers.
It doesn't matter if its not English. It was obvious they were all speaking the same language. That means all the languages on earth should have descended from one language. Which they clearly didn't.
Old March 24 2009, 12:42 AM   #532
Gregsmack
Captain

boozebum:

I don't make any kind of fallacy here. The Colonials decided not to pursue a technological lifestyle after what they just went through. It has nothing to with the inherent good or evil of technology, you're right.

For argument's sake, say they could set up a primitive industrial society. And? What then? The fact is that they chose not to. And nothing about the ending suggested starvation or incurable diseases. What, exactly, would a primitive technological society make medicine or food out of? That's right. They have to hunt and harvest just like they would now. And they could be killed by hostile tribes or animals even with their technology. Things can go wrong. That's what the series is about. Just because you have a personal aversion to their choice doesn't make it stupid. What are you not getting about this fiction?
Old March 24 2009, 12:45 AM   #533
Gregsmack
Captain

boozebum wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote:
Just because you personally take issue with humans giving up technology after the apocalypse doesn't mean it is "monumentally retarded"
I find giving up their best tools for survival and revival after the near extinction of their race pretty retarded.
I'd like a list of all the best tools that the Colonials burned or destroyed on-screen on my desk by tomorrow. When you get it to me, I will concede to you this point.
Old March 24 2009, 01:34 AM   #534
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Is it realistic to think that humanity would give up all their technology?
Not at all. In real life they'd be insane to do with their fleet & ships what Adama did with his

On a tangent of sorts, in the context of nuBSG's Finale, perhaps Admiral Adama was the ultimate source & inspiration for the Biblical Adam of creation myths & tales.

Just a thought

Back to topic.

What they did with their fleet flies in the face of common sense.

I mean,

Seriously!
Old March 24 2009, 01:38 AM   #535
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Is it realistic to think that humanity would give up all their technology?
Not that specifically, but I did find it unrealistic that all these people that went through this four-year apocaplyptic ordeal together in order to survive would simply separate into very small groups across the planet with no way of getting back together. I think a few agraraian communities that remained relatively close together would have been a more realistic ending.
Old March 24 2009, 01:44 AM   #536
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
It wasn't realistic that all of them gave up their technology. I can see some following Lee's way but no all. Having everyone agree to a plan like that is too much like Star Trek. On BSG, the fleet is ready to mutiny at the drop of a hat.
I would imagine there were a few dissenters who were simply drowned out. It's not like you can allow 15% of the population to take all the technology. Guess which group ends up enslaving the planet in a few generations?
Old March 24 2009, 01:48 AM   #537
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

boozebum wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote:
I'd like a list of all the best tools that the Colonials burned or destroyed on-screen on my desk by tomorrow. When you get it to me, I will concede to you this point.
Here's a question...did they destroy all their books too?

I'm sorry but if I'm going to be spending the rest of my life in the wilderness, then I want a frakking book to read!
Old March 24 2009, 01:54 AM   #538
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Galactica sitrep has some links to a few articles on this topic of renouncing technology:
http://galacticasitrep.blogspot.com/...echnology.html

I have yet to read them but for those that are interested... there ya go.

Didn't see DAVID cgc's earlier post... mea culpa

Last edited by Ryan Thomas Riddle; March 24 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old March 24 2009, 03:36 AM   #539
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

I was just thinking with the fleet now living on earth would they have illness that the natives would have no natural deferences against.
Which could wipe them out?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Old March 24 2009, 03:45 AM   #540
Gregsmack
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

^ Which may be why Hera is important. On more than one occasion her biology is shown to be stronger and more suited for fighting off illness than both human and Cylon ('Epiphanies' and 'A Measure of Salvation' off the top of my head).