Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 22 2009, 01:06 PM   #436
amdmiami
Commander

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

Epic! Loved it!

I mean it could have been better but but it was still amazing. I loved the battlescenes and all the destruction on Galactica!
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
Old March 22 2009, 02:22 PM   #437
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ratings-...e-1004266.aspx The BSG Series Finale Rating was only 2.4 million people which was still the best ratings since 2X11. I expected more for a series finale...
Old March 22 2009, 02:43 PM   #438
commodore64
Vice Admiral

I thought the finale was subpar.

I think I was disappointed to hear/read that Moore wasn't sure that there were a final five, didn't know Chief was one of them and had to retrofit a solution so that his and Cally's son wasn't a hybrid. It tells me Moore didn't really have a plan.

I was also disappointed b/c early into the series, I surmised that we are the children of human/cylon pairings. I was hoping to be wrong, instead of right.

I also felt like some of the theads were left dangling or not explained.
Old March 22 2009, 03:27 PM   #439
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Just watched it a second time - both parts together.

Enjoyed it even more. Explained what needed to be explained. Dotted most of the I's, but it didn't cross all of the T's.

Moore still sticks out, but its Ronald D Moore so I'll let him off.

Old March 22 2009, 03:59 PM   #440
Vampire Kirk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My expectations weren't necessarily met, but I did find the finale fitting. Much watch again...
Old March 22 2009, 04:06 PM   #441
MPH
Rear Admiral

commodore64 wrote: View Post
I thought the finale was subpar.

I think I was disappointed to hear/read that Moore wasn't sure that there were a final five, didn't know Chief was one of them and had to retrofit a solution so that his and Cally's son wasn't a hybrid. It tells me Moore didn't really have a plan.

I was also disappointed b/c early into the series, I surmised that we are the children of human/cylon pairings. I was hoping to be wrong, instead of right.

I also felt like some of the theads were left dangling or not explained.
Most TV shows are written on the fly! Very few are planned out from the beginning.
And for me there was no real questions left unanswered.
Old March 22 2009, 04:13 PM   #442
The Great Meech
Vice Admiral

I thought it was above average, but that it didn't feel much like BSG in its second half. For a series that prides itself on clarity--the camera work intended to evoke a documentary, for example--the second half, and the answers it provided, were not as clear as I had expected.
Old March 22 2009, 04:52 PM   #443
species5618
Commodore

Overall, excellent. I had a few quibbles here and there, specifically how Kara's end was handled and the fact that 38,000 people would come to a consensus on living a subsistence lifestyle in so short a time, but I suppose I can overlook those things.

I'm hoping answers to some of our remaining questions might be found in "The Plan" but I'm not super optimistic as I've read it focuses on events during seasons 1 and 2, so unless they shoehorn in some more insights on Kara or the nature of God, I'm guessing we're out of luck. I heard that the DVD version of Daybreak is somewhere in the vicinity of 15-20 minutes longer, so that may offer some new information.

One thing I'm happy about is that we discovered what time period BSG was set in. I was convinced the show took place thousands of years in the future until they arrived at 'our' Earth and found the inhabitants--a nice subversion of my expectations.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old March 22 2009, 05:02 PM   #444
Gregsmack
Captain

^ One question I have is, because the episodes will be extended on DVD, will they also be rearranged? I believe the 'Pegasus' episode is slightly differently arranged in the TV and DVD versions. For example, the cut from Daybreak 1 (Adama's agreeing to the mission) segues right into the Caprican nightlife flashback(when you remove the Previously-On from DB2). I imagine it being awkward as one long episode and that a little bit of rearranging of clips and beats may be in order.
Old March 22 2009, 05:14 PM   #445
species5618
Commodore

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
^ One question I have is, because the episodes will be extended on DVD, will they also be rearranged? I believe the 'Pegasus' episode is slightly differently arranged in the TV and DVD versions. For example, the cut from Daybreak 1 (Adama's agreeing to the mission) segues right into the Caprican nightlife flashback(when you remove the Previously-On from DB2). I imagine it being awkward as one long episode and that a little bit of rearranging of clips and beats may be in order.
Yeah I think they tweaked 'Pegasus' for the extended version (not just throwing in a deleted scene here and there, but actually re-cutting parts of the episode) and I remember that they really re-edited the extended 'Unfinished Business' so I expect the same will apply to any longer episodes on the 4.5 set.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old March 22 2009, 05:43 PM   #446
Gregsmack
Captain

^ Totally forgot about the extended Unfinished Business. Thanks for clearing it up. Here's hoping the majority of the extra time goes towards the Colonials on Earth.
Old March 22 2009, 05:48 PM   #447
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Cylons have plans; Moore had VISION.
Old March 22 2009, 05:58 PM   #448
Alex1939
Captain

I have to say reading some of the comments and threads here about the finale has particularly annoyed me.

Seeing the vote here though, 85% above average or better... helps me realize that it's only a small minority being extremely vocal about their displeasure in the finale.

Through these last weeks I've been amazed at all the whining about not enough answers about the plot/story. Seems to me there were plenty answers coming along this half of season 4, and the finale pretty much tied everything in a nice bow.

It's puzzling why they would abandon technology.. but it's not really that hard for me to believe given everything these people have been through. A fresh start makes sense to me.

I'm fine with the God and Angels aspect. People are arguing "why would god allow all the sorrow" blah blah. Doesn't the final scene answer this: Repeat complex mathematical equations enough and you'll eventually get a different outcome. It's to see if humanity can rise above it's destructive nature.

Regardless, I loved the series, I thought the finale was excellent, I'm overly satisfied with how everything was tied up. Seems I'm in the majority.

And as it gives me no pleasure to read constant, and in many cases, unjustified criticism of the show... I really don't have a reason to continue visiting this forum.

I'll check back in awhile to see if there are any interesting conversations regarding the content of the show, once the vocal minority quiets there bitching down.

And really... no one made anyone watch this show... if you don't like it, or quit enjoying it, you should've just stopped watching it. That's what I've done with Heroes. And I didn't feel the need to relentlessly bash the show on Heroes forums. And really it's pretty sad if all you have to do is bash something others enjoy on a forum.. what's the point?
Old March 22 2009, 05:58 PM   #449
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

It doesn't surprise me. Moore never really seemed to care about the mythology of the show. It always felt to me that it was a small bone thrown to the audience. I don't have a problem whether he had it all planned out from the beginning or put it together as the series went along just so long as it worked onscreen. However, Moore really didn't care too much about it and his interview with TVGuide posted in another thread just shows it. It is clear in how he responds to the questions posed to him that he hadn't given it too much thought and it was all really secondary or tertiary to him. He can't really provide a concrete answer.

He responds that it could be this or it could be that or that could work too. It doesn't surprise me though since BSG was never well plotted and its form was flabby.

I'm glad though I realized this early on and didn't invest an awful lot of time in the mythology because if Moore isn't going to why should I. It isn't as convoluted as the X-Files mythology but it in the end it fell just as flat. It certainly isn't a good sign when several different interviewers have the same questions over and over about a show's mythology and it isn't a good sign that a writer had to repeatedly explain or clarify certain things because they weren't clear enough just from the episode itself.
Old March 22 2009, 06:26 PM   #450
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Tombfyre wrote: View Post
I honestly can say.... i didn't like it. I have no problems with characters believing in religion... taking events that occur as mystical occurances...ect. But that was a flat out statement that in the BSG universe.... god\angles\ect are 100% real. I had no problems at all with the characters forming religions and such.. thats interesting and is part of human civlization. But common....
Why shouldn't religion be real in BSG? It's real in the real world too.