Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 21 2009, 05:19 AM   #211
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Question: What colony was the strip club on? I could have sworn I heard somebody say it was Picon or something. I did think that was one of the coolest cityscapes I've ever seen in sci-fi.

Shit, Tigh's got some guts if he takes his *wife* to a strip club...
Tigh was teasing about he only had to pay 30 on Picon and 40 there. I think it's meant to be Caprica.
It was Caprica. I'm sure many of those night-time exterior shots we saw will be reused in the TV show.

Tigh: "Forty? I only had to pay thirty on Picon!"
Dancer: "This isn't Picon."
Old March 21 2009, 05:19 AM   #212
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Of course they can have sex, but only as an animal might. Instinctively, primitively. The colonials on the other hand are intelligent beings.
The natives didn't look like dumb animals. If they have enough smarts to walk single file, organize hunts, carry tools, etc., then they must have some form of intelligence.
They have no language. That's pretty damn primitive. Racoons can walk single file too, you know. Sure they are a step above animals but still.
Old March 21 2009, 05:20 AM   #213
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Kelso wrote: View Post

That's what's disturbing, they might, but they don't have the mental reasoning to really give consent truly. It's like statutory rape. That part bothers me.
They can build spears but they don't have the mental reasoning to have sex?
I've bolded the part of my quote that you seemed to not read.

Of course they can have sex, but only as an animal might. Instinctively, primitively. The colonials on the other hand are intelligent beings. It's a mismatch of intellect and maturity and therefore has undertones of statutory rape.
I read it. It still didn't make any sense.

The sex act is natural... it doesn't require a higher level of development. These humans are clearly tribal and have the ability to build and use tools, weapons, hunt for food, organize themselves, etc. I think they would be capable of choosing a sexual partner.

Did George Taylor and Nova give you the heebie-jeebies?
Old March 21 2009, 05:21 AM   #214
Skywalker
Admiral

Well, maybe it's the introduction of the Colonial humans' DNA that spurs the development of Earth's humans into what we became. Homo sapiens idaltu emerged some time around 150,000 BC in Africa.
Old March 21 2009, 05:21 AM   #215
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Well, maybe it's the introduction of the Colonial humans' DNA that spurs the development of Earth's humans into what we became. Homo sapiens idaltu emerged some time around 150,000 BC in Africa.
So Moore was sort of ripping off TNG's "The Chase"?

Another ending would've been to have 150,000 years later...and there's a show about A.I. on and we see the backs of peoples heads watching it...then their faces...Cavil, Doral and Simon.
Old March 21 2009, 05:23 AM   #216
nx1701g
Admiral

I still kinda hoped for the ending that EJO proposed.
Old March 21 2009, 05:23 AM   #217
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The women folk didn't fare well on this show.

-Roslin is dead.

-Kara disappeared and probably died in Season 3.

-Race Track is dead.

-Dee committed suicide, Cally was murdered, and Kat died.

-Tory and Boomer got killed.

I think that was it for the major/minor female characters (Tory and Boomer aside). Caprica, Athena, and Ellen are Cylons and Hera is half-Cylon.
Old March 21 2009, 05:24 AM   #218
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
mattwitz wrote: View Post
I really liked the episode; my only worry is that in 10 years that robot montage is going to look really dated. I kind of wish they had shown the presence of emerging AI in a subtler way. Other than that, I thought the episode was really good and a fitting end to the series.
I think just showing the robot on TV would of been enough and people would of got the message. The montage of different robots was really unnecessary.
Heck, even just a montage of robots that weren't all toy-like and cutesy japanese would have been more appropriate.

I don't mind the end, as some here do but I do think it will look really dated because it already looks out of left field and kind of silly. It sort of douses the dramatic flame of epic-ness that all the open fields and lone humans lit up in the previous scenes.
Old March 21 2009, 05:24 AM   #219
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

They can build spears but they don't have the mental reasoning to have sex?
I've bolded the part of my quote that you seemed to not read.

Of course they can have sex, but only as an animal might. Instinctively, primitively. The colonials on the other hand are intelligent beings. It's a mismatch of intellect and maturity and therefore has undertones of statutory rape.
I read it. It still didn't make any sense.

The sex act is natural... it doesn't require a higher level of development.
Of course it does. The key word is consent. Sex doesnt require a higher level of development, but consent does. That's of course not an issue between primitives, but when one party is a high thinking person, it becomes an issue, I think. That's just the feeling I get, I'm not saying this is necessarily true, I just wonder about that. It's a hypothetical psychological and sociological question that doesn't really apply in our world.
Old March 21 2009, 05:25 AM   #220
Samson88B
Lieutenant Commander

OK - in true celebratory fashion I enjoyed watching the last episode with my wife and some beer and wine. We voted excellent. With all of the speculation on this site I have to admit that I was kind of concerned that there would be too many questions unanswered. I but personally think that was not the case.

On the critical side, I had problems with Galatica being so beat up and hanging by a thread before the final attack. Then being able to take such a assault and then ram into another object - and then surviving a jump. It seemed a bit of a stretch. That being said, I was glad the OLD GIRL made it through. Very emotional to see her make it through. It was bitter sweet to see her and the RTF go into the sun.

For me enough of the questions were answered to keep me satisfied. IMHO I think Kara was a angel that had a different purpose than the head six an Baltar. Boomer got what she deserved as some on this site had speculated. Galactica did Ram the Cylon ship as some speculated, but that was not her end. I'm sure there are more that some on this site deserve a pat on the back for but I have had too much to drink to remember. Oh! Gayland killing that other witch of a cylon was well deserved! The fans on this board have been incredible acrurate in predicting things that would happen on this series. I have to say however, through all of the charactors and plot devices I feel Ron and the crew pulled it together in the end.
Galactica was one hell of a ship and so was her crew. For me this was not a let down and an excellent end to a excellent series (despite some minor flaws)

As Sam said ...."See you on the other side!"

SO SAY WE ALL! SO SAY WE ALL! SO SAY WE ALL!

SO SAY WE ALL!!!!!!!

Last edited by Samson88B; March 21 2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old March 21 2009, 05:25 AM   #221
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

[It's a mismatch of intellect and maturity and therefore has undertones of statutory rape.
That's touching, but you'll need to work a little harder at defining the exact ooginess of it all - statutory rape is a very modern concept.
Old March 21 2009, 05:25 AM   #222
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I think that's a little unfair. "The Chase" is an insult to real science. "Daybreak," at least, may be walking the line, but it isn't outright offensive like "The Chase" was.
My blog
Old March 21 2009, 05:26 AM   #223
nx1701g
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I think that's a little unfair. "The Chase" is an insult to real science. "Daybreak," at least, may be walking the line, but it isn't outright offensive like "The Chase" was.
The Chase was the way they explained the makeup budget.
Old March 21 2009, 05:26 AM   #224
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Meh. That's what I'm feeling right now. Lots of questions unanswered, which I figured. RDM pretty much said that everything wouldn't be tied up with a nice bow on it. But, IMO, there were TOO MANY unanswered questions left when the credits rolled. Given the overall lack of forward plot movement over the last two or three episodes, the writers could have taken the time to start answering things early since they obviously weren't going to have time to answer everything in the finale.

I feel a little bummed that the opera house visions we've been seeing since season one weren't more. I'm disappointed that no explanation was given for Starbuck's death and resurrection, why her father knew "All Along the Watchtower", how her Viper was re-created, what lay in the space between life and death, and who Starbuck was talking about when she told Apollo "they're waiting for me" shortly before her death in "Maelstrom". I mean, seriously.... NOTHING?!

The character moments at the end were nice. The scene where Starbuck and Apollo say goodbye to Adama and Roslin was beautiful. Starbuck disappearing into thin air was unexpected - but as mentioned above, I wanted more explanation before she left.

As for the ending, I guess I understand how it fits into the context of the series. But it isn't the ending I would have given it.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old March 21 2009, 05:26 AM   #225
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
The women folk didn't fare well on this show.

-Roslin is dead.

-Kara disappeared and probably died in Season 3.

-Race Track is dead.

-Dee committed suicide, Cally was murdered, and Kat died.

-Tory and Boomer got killed.

I think that was it for the major/minor female characters (Tory and Boomer aside). Caprica, Athena, and Ellen are Cylons and Hera is half-Cylon.
Right after Dualla's suicide it struck me that BSG suffers from a bit of the "women in refrigerators" syndrome, yeah.