New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 29 2009, 08:09 AM   #1
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Why not just go back to Caprica?

Anders and a whole bunch of survivors were living quite healthy and fighting lifestyles in Caprica after The Bombs Fell. So why not go back to Caprica (or the Colonies) at the end? Building back from the civilization they had would be easier than to start off from scratch, right? Or were most of the ships depowered too much to make that many jumps back to the Colonies? I am not critiquing the writing, I am talking of "in show" logic.

If the Cylons are our "allies" now, I'd definitely ask them to partially help rebuild at least Caprica,as only one planet would be enough to sustain less than 36,000 humans, right? After living in space for four years and a wet slurpy planet for one, most would definitely want to go back to familiar or semi-familiar settings of their homes. So why not take that chance?
Old March 29 2009, 11:16 AM   #2
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

Re: Why not just go back to Caprica?

In either one of the episodes or one of the podcasts, it's said that they ran out of anti radiation meds. With anti-human radiation, I guess they wouldn't survive on Caprica. One other thing to note is The Passage. I doubt they could make another trip through that. Then, there's the time factor. Supplies were low and time was running out.
Old March 29 2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Hermiod
Admiral

Ultimately, even if they had tried, Galactica would not have survived the trip. Even with the Cylon resin, the ship had only a few jumps left in her.
Old March 29 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
cultcross
Say my name...

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Ultimately, even if they had tried, Galactica would not have survived the trip. Even with the Cylon resin, the ship had only a few jumps left in her.

Exactly - bear in mind, ST1701, that just in the pilot 33, Galactica makes over 200 jumps - even if they weren't going in a straight line (which seems logical to assume) for the whole series so the shortest route back was quicker, we're almost certainly still talking hundreds of jumps. It's very unlikely the ships would make it.
Old March 29 2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Hermiod
Admiral

^Yeah, I always assumed that their jumps weren't in a straight line to keep them from being predictable.
Old March 29 2009, 02:43 PM   #6
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

The colonies are covered in radiation from being nuked. No more anti-radiation meds.

But, let's say they did have the meds. Were the meds a 100% cure? Besides just being exposed to all that radiation in the air, you have to remember that it's in the water supply and all the food.

I doubt the anti radiation meds could render all of that inert in people's systems forever.

And what about children and babies?

Would new born infants survive in that radiation? Can you pump them full of the meds? If not, then all of humanity would just die out in a few years.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
Old March 29 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
MicahBrack
Lieutenant Commander

T'Pers0n wrote: View Post
In either one of the episodes or one of the podcasts, it's said that they ran out of anti radiation meds. With anti-human radiation, I guess they wouldn't survive on Caprica.
Yeah, Caprica and the other colonies were for the most part irradiated.
Old March 29 2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Well, the most obvious answer is they couldn't go back due to radiation. The colonies are pretty much dead and it would be a long, long time before the planets would be habitable again. Not only would the humans suffer radiation poisoning without medication, but I assume the land could not be cultivated. How do you grow food in a nuclear wasteland? Earth (the original one) suffered its own nuclear holocaust 2,000 years earlier and there was still radiation in the soil and water.

Radiation issues aside, there are many other reasons not to go back. First, there is the issue of time and resources. The fleet had traveled so far away, it would take a very long time to get back. They would have to deal with more food shortages (something that already existed), fuel shortages, wear and tear on the ships, etc. Galactica probably couldn't have made it back to the colonies. Also, there is the threat of the cylons. Humanity wanted a new home, preferably one that the cylons didn't know about. People wouldn't want to return to the colonies and wait in fear to see if/when Cavil's baseships jumped into orbit and destroyed them all over again.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old March 29 2009, 06:37 PM   #9
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Radiation meds aside, didn't Kara only need a limited series of jumps to go back to get the Arrow of Apollo?
Old March 29 2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Hermiod
Admiral

^After only one season's worth of jumping away, and she used a Cylon ship to do it.
Old March 29 2009, 09:43 PM   #11
cultcross
Say my name...

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
Radiation meds aside, didn't Kara only need a limited series of jumps to go back to get the Arrow of Apollo?
That was because she was using a Cylon raider, which it was established had a much greater jump range than the human ships. And plus, they've moved on even further since then, tracking the 13th tribe.

Edit: D'oh, read all the posts before replying
Old March 29 2009, 10:10 PM   #12
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

^After only one season's worth of jumping away, and she used a Cylon ship to do it.
That's what I was saying. Use the Cylon's help to de-radiate Caprica, and use their jumpships to jump back to their world.
Old March 29 2009, 10:18 PM   #13
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
That's what I was saying. Use the Cylon's help to de-radiate Caprica, and use their jumpships to jump back to their world.
What evidence do we have that cylons can "de-radiate" a planet?
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
Old March 29 2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Harvey
Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
What evidence do we have that cylons can "de-radiate" a planet?
The evidence is to the contrary, since the Cylons couldn't "de-radiate" (is that even a word?) Earth, which had been decimated 2,000 years previous as opposed to 4 years.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 29 2009, 11:56 PM   #15
Uncle Tobias
Lieutenant

If they had decided to go with a rebuilding route, it might have been feasable to make some long series of jumps back to gather various supplies, because all the fleet's ships now had the superior Cylon FTLs like Kara used, but as said it would be a long time until they were habitable again. By then people would likely be settled on Earth and not want to risk it. The biggest argument against it, and risk, is that there are still hostile Baseships out there with Cavils/Simons/Dorals and hostile Centurions that would know where the 12 colonies are, while they had no idea where Earth is.