Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode:
Excellent 7 41.18%
Above average 4 23.53%
Average 3 17.65%
Below average 1 5.88%
Poor 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29 2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

Battlestar Galactica 5x04: "Plow Me Gently, Part 1"

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Battlestar Galactica 5x04: "Plow Me Gently, Part 1."
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

"Plow Me Gently, Part 1"

Against Cain's and Racetrack's objections, Kara and Anders accept help from Natalie and Boomer as they pursue an escape from the afterlife. While Lee takes a turn for the worse, Cottle makes a startling discovery about the plague. Not all is as it seems with the lives of the Colonials.

Previously on Battlestar Galactica...
Aragorn wrote: View Post
Tyrol returns just in time for the widespread illness to become a full blown epidemic... and may hold the key to the village's survival.
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The way they brought back ... Racetrack was really clever, and I'm glad we didn't have to wait 2 years for an explanation. Guess Moore learned his lesson.
Aragorn wrote: View Post
While trying to figure out how to cross the river back into the realm of the living, Kara and Anders receive help from an unexpected ally.
nx1701g wrote: View Post
The return of Admiral Cain ... were just too out there for my tastes.
hyzmarca wrote: View Post
That was Lee hallucinating on 'shrooms, the ghosts and the tiger, both. Remember how the natives wouldn't eat any that he offered too them, and he thought that they were just scared of him. Yeah, they had enough sense not to eat the powerful hallucinogen, unlike the VP. I don't think he's gotten over Dee's death, yet. I don't think he's even processed it, really. He's been going so hard for so long, he hasn't really had time to feel anything.
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Okay, so I took a close look at those flashes in the teaser for "Plow Her Gently, Part 1" and here's what I saw:
-Lee and what looked like Leoben in some kind of prison cell dunking a blond woman (Kara?) headfirst into a bucket of water,
-Adama sitting on a modern sidewalk in fithy closes; looks for all the world like he's a hobo begging for ailms.
-The Empire State Building.
Old March 29 2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 5x04: "Plow Me Gently, Part 1"

I didn't think it was possible, but somehow they managed to make Racetrack even more hot than in Season 4.
That afterlife really does wonders for ones looks.

Also: Did i sense some sexual tension between her and Leoben?

I'm not sold on the explanation for the virus. How the hell can Roslins cancer mutate into a virus postmortem and infect an entire village??
I suppose "God" did it?

I guess they have to engage in Cylon/human intercourse in order to sire new Hybrids, so that they can use their blood to cure everyone. Hence the episodetitle.
Old March 29 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
TheOnes
Lieutenant

Ok, hands down this was the worst episode ever. There was a huge build up with seeing the epic crossing of the river to the realm of the living, and i was anticipating it, and then they freaking time jump to Kara being captured by a surprised Leoban. I really hope theres a deleted scene out there because that was the worst moment in the history of moments.

That being said, the cliffhanger of the reveal that Anders and Kara's "spirits" mutating Roslins cancer, and being the source of the plague bodes some interesting questions about the afterlife. Maybe its all around us and just out of sync with our reality, which would make sense how they are able to cross back and forth in literally no time at all.
Old March 29 2009, 08:35 PM   #4
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

Any time that Jane Epenson writes an episode, you know it's going to suck, although there will be a couple of good lines thrown in, like Racetrack's brush-off of Cain.
Old March 29 2009, 08:39 PM   #5
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
I'm not sold on the explanation for the virus. How the hell can Roslins cancer mutate into a virus postmortem and infect an entire village??
I suppose "God" did it?
That wasn't an explanation, that was wild guessing on Cottle's part, and it was the cancer-preventing protien in cylon blood, which allowed them to safely rapid-grow new bodies when they still had resurrection, that he thought had mutated in Roslin's body. Caprica Six agreed that it was possible. If that's the case, then the disease of a communicable prion, not a virus, apparently leeched into the water table from Roslin's grave. This means that they'll need to rely on the raptors to haul water until they can find some way to neutralize it. Or move.

I liked the afterlife portion for once. So there are these things that take the form of your closest loved ones and torture you, but Racetrack was immune because she didn't rally love anybody. Interesting. I really loved the interaction between Cain and Fake Gina. I didn't think she'd break down so quickly.

Last edited by hyzmarca; March 29 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old March 29 2009, 08:41 PM   #6
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

That zombie sex scene was oddly arousing. I'm not sure what that says about me. Perhaps they'll use the zombie sex to even further advance the virus (an AIDS type thing)?

I wonder if Cottle, san cigarettes, will be able to make the perilous global journey in time to save Lee? It looks like he might hitch a ride with one of the afterlife escapees. Maybe God will send a nice, shiny, new Raptor for the journey (Racetrack is coming back after all).

Either way, the ax battle between Shat and Adama was a letdown. I know they both have great stares -- but 5 nonstop minutes of it? A little excessive.

-nobody
Old March 29 2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

How much money did they spend on that model of the ship of lights?

Adama fighting the lizard and making a rudimentary rocket was awesome!

Baltar sat on the cylon throne!

Where did Hera get a toy of the NCC 1701 enterprise?!
Old March 29 2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Where did Hera get a toy of the NCC 1701 enterprise?!
(1) It's all part of God's plan, of course.

(2) Just in time for a major motion picture crossover?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 29 2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Was I the only one who didn't find Ewan McGregor's caveman character to be unconvincing? He didn't even bother with a caveman accent.

And just who is the mysterious sunglasses badass in the afterlife? And why was he helping Racetrack?
Angel? One of the crewmembers from the ship of lights?
Old March 29 2009, 10:19 PM   #10
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

That's clearly Lee from the future.
Old March 29 2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the biggest "holy shit" moments in the show so far: the opening and closing scenes set on modern Earth, 150,000 years later.

So we have Galen running deli in New York with Adama as some kind of hobo who sits outside begging for money. It appears Galen (though it looked like he was wearing a name tag that said 'Pete') is on friendly terms with him.

And I love that the closing scene tied all the way back to something said in "Flesh and Bone":

LEOBEN: Maybe in a prior cycle, I was the interrogator and you were the prisoner. The players change, but the story stays the same.

At a guess, it looks like the writers are playing that out literally. Are these reincarnations of the colonials? People who just look like them. It's not clear yet...

It was creepy seeing Lee and Leoben do to Kara what Kara did to Leoben back in season 1. Lee espeically seems like a cruel hardass this cycle around. Though I like that the mention of being in the UK let Jamie Bamber use his real accent for once. Looks like there's going to be a lot more of this stuff next week according to the promos. Roslin in a courtroom again? Hmm....
Old March 29 2009, 10:35 PM   #12
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The Baltar suffering from impotence storyline was horrible, it makes no sense for his character. I really think they are struggling to give his character anything to do this season.
Old March 29 2009, 11:05 PM   #13
BigPharaoh
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok, what is up with that tribe of prmitive humans that have facemasks that look like the heads of centurions and body paint which stongly resembles starbucks mandalla? and how the hell is kat their leader? IMHO having her go topless is just to generate sex appeal and thus ratings.
Old March 30 2009, 12:00 AM   #14
Candlelight
Admiral

What are these threads? Are they fan made eps?
Old March 30 2009, 12:11 AM   #15
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

When I first saw "her" above, I thought it was Sarah Connor! It looks like they are getting into more of the mystery on the Island they've moved their camp to. Odd about the trees uprooting themselves, some new threat?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us