TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 27 38.57%
Above Average 32 45.71%
Average 11 15.71%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19 2009, 10:02 PM   #76
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Lost 5x09: "Namaste"

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
I knew I wasn't crazy when I spotted that on my HD feed. Here's a brightened photo:

Looks like a blooper, one of their production crew got in the shot or something, a mistake, it doesn't look like claire to me at all.

Also, what people think is Smokey coming into the room when the door opens, it just looked like fog to me.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old March 19 2009, 10:05 PM   #77
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

InvisibleGT wrote: View Post
QCzar wrote: View Post
I especially like the scene towards the end with Jack and Sawy...uh...I mean LaFleur. The tension was palatable and conveyed genuine ambivalence the characters have for eachother even more so now than before. And because I always like when Sawyer puts Dr Self-Righteous in check.
To clear something up, did you mean "palpable," as opposed to "palatable?"

As far as the connection between Lil' Ben and Sayid, I'm not entirely certain that Ben would have known about Sayid earlier in the series. The way that this season has shown time travel memory to work is that, upon finding something out, that memory, in essence, is decoupled from the timeline, and travels to the "present." So, if anything, when Ben finally comes to on the Hydra Island, he would instantly be aware that Sayid is in the past.
That is my understanding of how Faraday explained it as well, plus that is how it worked with Desmond when Faraday told Desmond to find his mom, he just woke up in the future remembering it as a memory all the sudden.

Old March 19 2009, 10:07 PM   #78
Brent
Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post

Thanks for the update, I really, really don't remember that scene. I must have been in the bathroom or something.

So basically what this means is that Richard Alpert took advantage of psychotic kid to do his murdering for him. Nice.
Not really.
I'm not sure how else to take it. Maybe you can elaborate what you mean? The way I see it is, they had a truce, Richard meets with Ben, figures out the kid "ain't right" and later uses him to wipe out Dharma.

You should watch the episode, as it's the whole thing and not just one or two scenes. It sounds like you might have missed an episode. Do you remember Ben's birth? Or his little girlfriend Annie?.
Oh I definitely saw the episode, I remember the birth, Annie, the gassing, etc. Just not the dead mother and Richard Alpert scene.
Richard didn't use Ben, Ben wanted to do it for his own purposes. He had a drunk father and wanted to be with his mother, and sided with the Hostiles, he gassed his own father in the van remember, Richard didn't make him do anything, Ben volunteered to join the Hostiles, he wanted to kill everyone.

Old March 19 2009, 10:22 PM   #79
Mallet
Fleet Captain

Brent wrote: View Post

Not really.
I'm not sure how else to take it. Maybe you can elaborate what you mean? The way I see it is, they had a truce, Richard meets with Ben, figures out the kid "ain't right" and later uses him to wipe out Dharma.

You should watch the episode, as it's the whole thing and not just one or two scenes. It sounds like you might have missed an episode. Do you remember Ben's birth? Or his little girlfriend Annie?.
Oh I definitely saw the episode, I remember the birth, Annie, the gassing, etc. Just not the dead mother and Richard Alpert scene.
Richard didn't use Ben, Ben wanted to do it for his own purposes. He had a drunk father and wanted to be with his mother, and sided with the Hostiles, he gassed his own father in the van remember, Richard didn't make him do anything, Ben volunteered to join the Hostiles, he wanted to kill everyone.
Another question is: Do you have to kill your own father to become the leader of the Others?

We know Ben killed his father and then went back to Otherville and took charge of the "Hostiles". then when they were wondering if Locke was leader material they wanted him to kill his father, in fact when he wouldn't do it they seemed to loose respect for him and gave up on him. It was only after Locke got Sawyer to kill his (Locke's) father that he was accepted as being the new leader of the Others.

And how does this tie into Jack's father still being around? Will jack have to kill his father?
Old March 19 2009, 10:28 PM   #80
chrisspringob
Commodore

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I forget, when Locke visited the O6 in "Jeremy Bentham", did he ever tell them that the castaways left on the Island were jumping through time? Because, logically, he certainly would have mentioned that.
I don't believe he did, they were all very shocked to learn they were in the 70's.
Well, it would be rather ridiculous for Locke to try to convince them to come back to the Island, without explaining what has happened on the Island since they left. And even if he didn't volunteer that information, one would think they'd all ask him about what was happening there.
Old March 19 2009, 10:44 PM   #81
Aragorn
Admiral

Remember the first couple seasons when it felt like they didn't have 22 episodes worth of stories to tell and a lot of the plots were slowly treading along?

Now with the reduced number of episodes, the plots have sped up and they probably could fill out a full season now.
Old March 19 2009, 11:31 PM   #82
Gertch
Admiral

Looks like a blooper, one of their production crew got in the shot or something, a mistake, it doesn't look like claire to me at all.
They've been very good about keeping out bloopers.

Also, what people think is Smokey coming into the room when the door opens, it just looked like fog to me.
It's definitely a greyish smoke and Christian even turns and smiles at it while the other two are looking at the picture.
Old March 20 2009, 12:12 AM   #83
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Gertch wrote: View Post

They've been very good about keeping out bloopers.
Yeah I know how meticulously they edit these things. No way there was a mistake. Especially in a scene featuring Christian. She's there on purpose but damned if I know who she is or what it means.
Old March 20 2009, 01:30 AM   #84
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Average.

I can't explain why, but this episode felt distinctly average to me even though a lot of cool stuff happened. The story in 2007 wasn't all that good and the story in 1977 was good and had some very good scenes but it just didn't feel all that compelling. It is right on the border of Above Average but it didn't quite make it. Normally I finish the episode and come right here to post about it, but this week I actually forgot and started posting in other forums instead.

Enjoyable to watch, but it was just pleasant and nothing more in my opinion. I can certainly understand why others think it is Excellent.
Old March 20 2009, 01:31 AM   #85
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Mallet wrote: View Post
Fuck Sawyer and his self-righteous speech to Jack. Sawyer has had three years, in a safe environment, with cars, doctors, food, water, guns, a security fence, plus a truce with his only enemies, the "hostiles".

When Jack was in charge for 108 days all the while they were being attacked from all sides by the Others with no safe haven, no security fence, little food, water, etc...

Jack did a great job keeping as many people alive as he did, right up until Widmore's people showed up and started killing everyone. And that was also partly Locke's fault because he threw a knife into the girls back and she then sent a warning to the people on the boat that there was trouble.

I like Sawyer, I love how his character has evolved, but he has no right to talk trash to Jack. Jack's the man.

Also, Jack, Kate & the rest risked everything and gave up everything to come back to the Island and save him.
Agreed. Jack didn't get anybody killed, really. Was he supposed to avoid going to the freighter and trust a guy like Ben and a nutso like Locke? And he's certainly not to blame that the Locke/Sawyer group pretty much all got killed.
Old March 20 2009, 02:15 AM   #86
zengoth
Fleet Captain

voted average - but not in a bad way.
it's a bridge episode, setting up chesspieces for the Next Big Thing.

Anyone else worried about just how tough Sun has gotten? "I lied."
I'd hate to think she spent 3 years learning how to play Ben's game too well.

What kind of aptitude test do you think Jack had to have taken to get a janitor gig?
Old March 20 2009, 03:01 AM   #87
McCoy
Commodore

InvisibleGT wrote: View Post
QCzar wrote: View Post
I especially like the scene towards the end with Jack and Sawy...uh...I mean LaFleur. The tension was palatable and conveyed genuine ambivalence the characters have for eachother even more so now than before. And because I always like when Sawyer puts Dr Self-Righteous in check.
To clear something up, did you mean "palpable," as opposed to "palatable?"

As far as the connection between Lil' Ben and Sayid, I'm not entirely certain that Ben would have known about Sayid earlier in the series. The way that this season has shown time travel memory to work is that, upon finding something out, that memory, in essence, is decoupled from the timeline, and travels to the "present." So, if anything, when Ben finally comes to on the Hydra Island, he would instantly be aware that Sayid is in the past.
That is my understanding of how Faraday explained it as well, plus that is how it worked with Desmond when Faraday told Desmond to find his mom, he just woke up in the future remembering it as a memory all the sudden.
I think that instantly spontaneous "memory creation" only works on Desmond though, because of the way he was unstuck for a time. Daniel did say that Desmond was special and the rules didn't apply to him.

So Ben did meet Sayid (and possibly some or all of the rest of the lostaways now in the past) in his youth. The question is whether he hasn't realized it, forgot about it, or is keeping quiet about it.

Knowing Ben, my bet is on that last one.
Old March 20 2009, 03:02 AM   #88
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

zengoth wrote: View Post
Anyone else worried about just how tough Sun has gotten? "I lied."
I'd hate to think she spent 3 years learning how to play Ben's game too well.
Yeah. I think poor Sun may be on her way to Villain Town.

What kind of aptitude test do you think Jack had to have taken to get a janitor gig?
The kind of phony baloney aptitude test Juliet could conjure up in half an hour? Keep in mind that they couldn't really say he was a doctor. I'd imagine there's a more rigorous scouting process for those types. Also, I'd guess they got jobs befitting what was needed so as not raise any suspicions.
Old March 20 2009, 03:31 AM   #89
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Not really.

Nevertheless, Alpert and the "Hostiles" benefited from Ben's behaviour.
Old March 20 2009, 03:53 AM   #90
Aragorn
Admiral

I'm guessing Jack and Hurley just got the jobs of the two people who didn't come to the island. Then Juliet had to make something up for Kate.