Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Do you care about the plot?
Yes - I couldn't care less about the characters. 5 6.85%
Yes - because it is at least one half of a successful formula for a well written show. 53 72.60%
No, plot means ZILCH without good characters 11 15.07%
No, I could watch 45 minutes of Starbuck noodling on the piano every week 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19 2009, 03:25 AM   #76
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Who cares what the plot is?"

[QUOTE=Milo Bloom;2727558]
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post

Now, one simple way to understand the distinction is with a story like "The Little Tailor."

The story is: a young man of modest accomplishment is mistaken for a hero, grows into that role and finds true love.

The plot is:

1) A tailor is annoyed by flies while eating a sandwich. He swats them. He discovers that he's killed seven flies with a single swat.

2) So impressed is he by this accomplishment, he embroiders a shirt to read "Seven At One Blow" (yeah, I know, what can I say, colloquial usage changes)...

3) The tailor sets out on a journey...

Quick aside, I was somewhat amused to see this example in a BSG thread, it was the first thing I thought of when Pegasus took out three basestars in Exodus pt 2.
It came to mind because of Heinlein's claim that there are only three basic stories, period: "The Man Who Learned Better," "The Little Tailor" and "If This Goes On..."

Most folks who've done the exercise claim more than three stories. There are, of course, myriad plots and variations on plot...
Old March 19 2009, 03:29 AM   #77
cbspock
Rear Admiral

This whole conversation is based on RDM's comment which has been taken out of context here.

-Chris
Old March 19 2009, 03:39 AM   #78
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Or is it remotely minutely possible that things like this have broad meanings and usages beyond a brief summary in a reference work?
Of course, everyone knows that this is true, including those folks who will continue to insist for the sake of an argument that "the" dictionary is the be-all-and-end-all.
You were the one who came in here insisting that story > plot. Insisting that your definition was *the* correct one and that others were misinformed and shouldn't contribute. I came up with another definition and DS9Sega came up with a third from legitimate sources. Others questioned your definition as well.

No one's opinion on the finale is misinformed. No one's (at least in this thread) take on the plot vs story angle has been misinformed. We all added something legitimate to that discussion. And, I'm including you in that, Dennis. Just because we have a different interpretation on that issue doesn't make me think you're misinformed. I disagree, but it's just a difference of opinion. As DS9Sega says, some things have broader meanings.

Dennis, the only beef I have with you is you trying to insist that your take on plot vs story is the correct one and that others are misinformed.

Now let's just all hope that we get a kick ass finale where we're all happy. Preliminary reviews suggest that this will be the case. No need to hurl insults and get defensive over trivial distinctions between definitions.

Mr Awe
Old March 19 2009, 04:52 AM   #79
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
In the Last Frakkin Special, Ron Moore stated:

"Who cares what the plot is? Why are we spinning our wheels with plot?"

I know I do. I know that watching the characters I love doing nothing (or the same thing) week after week is boring as shit.

If YOU think that Ron Moore should have been concentrating on both the plot and the characters during these last 5 episodes, please post here.

Or, if you think that at this late point in the game the characterizations should have been pretty much developed and it should have been either mostly plot, or a higher mix of plot, say so here as well.

And, if you disagree - if watching Adama lose it against a wall again or watching him stare at cracks in the hull over and over are fine with you - speak up as well!

Maybe you just think that was a cop out remark from a guy who couldn't solve a problem? Or maybe you just think we deserve ANSWERS after all this buildup of a plan? Maybe you think that the characterizations haven't even been that great over the past 5 episodes(example Ellen Tigh acting one way, then another, then back to the first way) to begin with!

So, if YOU care about the plot (or not) please post in this thread. Thank you.
OMG I was going to post about this quote on this forum!!!! I cannot believe Ron Moore said this...characters are great but they are there to tell a story, its not a soap opera!!!...oh wait, it IS! This makes him a liar...I fear that Caprica will turn into self-indulgent nonsense a lot quicker than this show did. *sigh*

RAMA
Old March 21 2009, 12:59 AM   #80
WendellM
Commodore

Rewatching The Last Frakkin' Special just now, I noticed that RDM states that the last ep will be a "meditation" on the characters. That particular wording reminded me of the final two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion (if you don't know, you're better off ), which I thought were the best part of that series, but which most fans hated. I expect what we'll get will be more-approachable and plot-driven, but I guess the measure of how close Moore gets to that will be the number of death threats he receives.
Old March 21 2009, 01:44 AM   #81
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I'm watching this now and it looks like Moore does care a a great deal about the show's mythology. He talked about the fact that there's something bigger going on than just the day to day happenings of the characters.