Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Do you care about the plot?
Yes - I couldn't care less about the characters. 5 6.85%
Yes - because it is at least one half of a successful formula for a well written show. 53 72.60%
No, plot means ZILCH without good characters 11 15.07%
No, I could watch 45 minutes of Starbuck noodling on the piano every week 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 17 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

"Who cares what the plot is?"

In the Last Frakkin Special, Ron Moore stated:

"Who cares what the plot is? Why are we spinning our wheels with plot?"

I know I do. I know that watching the characters I love doing nothing (or the same thing) week after week is boring as shit.

If YOU think that Ron Moore should have been concentrating on both the plot and the characters during these last 5 episodes, please post here.

Or, if you think that at this late point in the game the characterizations should have been pretty much developed and it should have been either mostly plot, or a higher mix of plot, say so here as well.

And, if you disagree - if watching Adama lose it against a wall again or watching him stare at cracks in the hull over and over are fine with you - speak up as well!

Maybe you just think that was a cop out remark from a guy who couldn't solve a problem? Or maybe you just think we deserve ANSWERS after all this buildup of a plan? Maybe you think that the characterizations haven't even been that great over the past 5 episodes(example Ellen Tigh acting one way, then another, then back to the first way) to begin with!

So, if YOU care about the plot (or not) please post in this thread. Thank you.
Old March 17 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral

Re: "Who cares what the plot is?"

I care about the characters (well, the well acted ones anyway), but plot is also important. If we get an end without a resolution of some sort for at least a few of the major plot points, it will lower my opinion of the show as a whole.
Old March 17 2009, 10:52 PM   #3
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

There is clearly a big misunderstanding here. Plot=/=story. That whole line is being blown completely out of proportion for reasons I can't understand. Come Friday you will be eating your words.
Old March 17 2009, 10:53 PM   #4
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've pretty much made my position clear this week so I'll just say I picked the second option. I will say however that hearing Ron Moore himself say that on the BSG special last night was absolutely shocking, especially since he also says he visits forums like this one.
Old March 17 2009, 10:54 PM   #5
flux_29
Commodore

Yes - because it is at least one half of a successful formula for a well written show.

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
Old March 17 2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
There is clearly a big misunderstanding here. Plot=/=story. That whole line is being blown completely out of proportion for reasons I can't understand. Come Friday you will be eating your words.
If I have a reason to eat my words I will HAPPILY do so. Of course I want an amazing finale! For me, this includes both great character moments AND answers to my questions about plot/story.

Also, respectfully - if plot does not equal story to you, then you and I have different definitions of plot.
Old March 17 2009, 11:00 PM   #7
sidious618
Admiral

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
Also, respectfully - if plot does not equal story to you, then you and I have different definitions of plot.
Stephen King wrote:
"I won't try to convince you that I've never plotted any more than I'd try to convince you that I've never told a lie, but I do both as infrequently as possible.

"I distrust plot for two reasons: first, because our lives are largely plotless, even when you add in all our reasonable precautions and careful planning; and second, because I believe plotting and the spontaneity of real creation aren’t compatible. ...

"[M]y basic belief about the making of stories is that they largely make themselves. The job of the writer is to give them a place to grow."
I think Ron subscribes to this style of writing. I think it's a legitimate one even if it's not the one I like to use.
Old March 17 2009, 11:00 PM   #8
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Come Friday you will be eating your words.
What words will we be eating, that plot is as important to a story as characters? I don't think so.

How would you like reading a novel with great characters and an interesting plot, only to find the final chapter missing? That's how I'll feel if too many loose threads are left hanging at the end of BSG.

---------------
Old March 17 2009, 11:02 PM   #9
sidious618
Admiral

scotthm wrote: View Post
Come Friday you will be eating your words.
What words will we be eating, that plot is as important to a story as characters? I don't think so.

How would you like reading a novel with great characters and an interesting plot, only to find the final chapter missing? That's how I'll feel if too many loose threads are left hanging at the end of BSG.

---------------

No, on Friday you will be eating your words about Ron not valuing the story of BSG.
Old March 17 2009, 11:04 PM   #10
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

You missed one-- "Yes, but not as much as I care about the characters."
Old March 17 2009, 11:10 PM   #11
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
You missed one-- "Yes, but not as much as I care about the characters."
Sorry, that makes sense. This is the first poll I have ever made and I always hate the way people makes polls with all these very specific descriptions that never match what I want and here I went and did it myself.
Old March 17 2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
Stephen King wrote:
"I won't try to convince you that I've never plotted any more than I'd try to convince you that I've never told a lie, but I do both as infrequently as possible.

"I distrust plot for two reasons: first, because our lives are largely plotless, even when you add in all our reasonable precautions and careful planning; and second, because I believe plotting and the spontaneity of real creation aren’t compatible. ...

"[M]y basic belief about the making of stories is that they largely make themselves. The job of the writer is to give them a place to grow."
I think Ron subscribes to this style of writing. I think it's a legitimate one even if it's not the one I like to use.
I've read On Writing years ago and I thought it was fantastic. That said, I completely disagree with this point.

Of course our lives could be said to be plotless in a sense (even though they aren't) and guess what? Our lives are boring - they aren't epic tales.

Interesting stuff.
Old March 17 2009, 11:19 PM   #13
sidious618
Admiral

I dunno, I think people's lives are interesting. Not on a minute by minute basis but if someone made a two hour movie of my life or yours it could be engrossing if done correctly.
Old March 17 2009, 11:35 PM   #14
Seven of Five
Commodore

I love the characters more than the plot. I think. I've certainly enjoyed the last two episodes more than some people have, but that's not to say that I don't enjoy a good 'No Exit' here or there. If the writers don't make you care about the characters, then the plot seems more irrelevant.

Moore says: "Who cares what the plot is? Why are we spinning our wheels with plot?" I think he's fibbing a bit there. I'm not exactly sure if every thread will be resolved but the history of the show generally shows he cares where it's going. I think people are getting a bit angsty because 'No Exit' was a big minddump, and there hasn't been anything similar since to wrap up the remaining mysteries.

Except the finale maybe? Meh, who knows? I was in tears last week when Roslin struggled to walk to join Adama for one last hurrah.
Old March 17 2009, 11:38 PM   #15
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

I dunno, I think people's lives are interesting. Not on a minute by minute basis but if someone made a two hour movie of my life or yours it could be engrossing if done correctly.
I completely agree. Heck look at something like My Dinner With Andre. What is the plot there? 2 guys having dinner? That is interesting stuff...but in the context of Gods, Creation, Humanity and Mythic Cycling of Robotic Rebellion isn't plot a little more relevant?

Especially when you hammer "all this has happened before and will happen again" into our heads. Shit happening? That's not characterization, that's plot.