Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old March 16 2009, 06:15 PM   #1
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

New Adventures of Flash Gordon Vs. Defenders of the Earth

I've finally talked my six year old into watching some shows with me! We watched all of the New Adventures of Flash Gordon which we really liked and have started on Defenders of the Earth!

My son likes Defenders better but I like Flash Gordon more. I was curious which show has the bigger following? Which one do you prefer?

Oh, and has anyone seen the 90's animated Flash, is it worth a watch?
cb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2009, 07:07 PM   #2
cylkoth
Commodore

Re: New Adventures of Flash Gordon Vs. Defenders of the Earth

You mean the Hearst produced 90s Flash Gordon where he and Dale were teens? And blaring rock music theme? It's been a while... I loved the Filmation version, but I confess, I don't think I gave the syndicated Hearst show a fair shot. Might be interesting to revisit it, and judge it on it's own merits, rather than on how it wasn't the Filmation show.
Old March 16 2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

I didn't like the '90s Hearst show at all. After the two really smart and adult-oriented (albeit horribly animated) series that Hearst had previously produced, The Legend of Prince Valiant and Phantom 2040, this dumbed-down, kid-oriented Flash Gordon was a real disappointment. It was probably a matter of executive fiat, since it was developed by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, who'd been the main creative forces behind Phantom 2040 as well.

Defenders of the Earth was a typical '80s cartoon, not very good.
Old March 17 2009, 07:46 PM   #4
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

The Filmation Flash was excellent. I even thought Defenders was fun. The idea of taking all the King Features characters and making them a team was cool. I think that idea still could work now. Just don't let the brainstems responsible for the horrible SciFi channel abortion do it.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 08:16 AM   #5
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

The first season of the Filmation series is VERY good. The second, not so good. Hated "Defenders..." and was "meh" about the 90s Flash.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
The first season of the Filmation series is VERY good. The second, not so good.
"Not so good" is way too generous. It was horrible.

The original Filmation movie is the best of all. Much of the first season is a recut, redrawn, relatively kiddified version of the movie. The film was made for prime time and is more sophisticated and adult. There's a whole opening sequence in Nazi-era Europe where Flash, Dale, and Zarkov first meet. It was considered too adult for Saturday morning, which is why the series opens in medias res with the heroes already in space with no explanation of how they got there.

Unfortunately, the film was only aired once, in 1982, and has never been broadcast or released since then. Which is a tragedy, since it's the best filmic adaptation of Flash Gordon ever made.
Old March 18 2009, 06:10 PM   #7
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Original Filmation movie is the best of all. Much of the first season is a recut, redrawn, relatively kiddified version of the movie. The film was made for prime time and is more sophisticated and adult. There's a whole opening sequence in Nazi-era Europe where Flash, Dale, and Zarkov first meet. It was considered too adult for Saturday morning, which is why the series opens in medias res with the heroes already in space with no explanation of how they got there.

Unfortunately, the film was only aired once, in 1982, and has never been broadcast or released since then. Which is a tragedy, since it's the best filmic adaptation of Flash Gordon ever made.
Yes, I was hoping this version would be on the complete series release of The New Adventures but sadly it was not.
cb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Morpheus 02
Commodore

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
The first season of the Filmation series is VERY good. The second, not so good.
"Not so good" is way too generous. It was horrible.

The original Filmation movie is the best of all. Much of the first season is a recut, redrawn, relatively kiddified version of the movie. The film was made for prime time and is more sophisticated and adult. There's a whole opening sequence in Nazi-era Europe where Flash, Dale, and Zarkov first meet. It was considered too adult for Saturday morning, which is why the series opens in medias res with the heroes already in space with no explanation of how they got there.

Had no idea baout the movie!

As a kid, loved the 1st season. If that was the kiddified version (with Hawkmen being vaporized in the same fashion every other episode -- stock footage!), the movie must've been great!

2nd season was maybe OK (don't remember..it's been a whole lifetime ago!).
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 07:57 PM   #9
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

I have some memory of it. What I do remember was once Flash, Dale, and Zarkov landed on Mongo, they were immediately put in chains and treated rather harshly. Pretty intense for an animated piece.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Davros
Fleet Admiral

The Filmation Flash Gordon series was one of the best saturday cartoons ever made.
Old March 18 2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

cylkoth wrote: View Post
You mean the Hearst produced 90s Flash Gordon where he and Dale were teens? ...Might be interesting to revisit it, and judge it on it's own merits, rather than on how it wasn't the Filmation show.
Nah, don't bother. Just trust me on this one.
Alpha_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 08:09 PM   #12
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Alpha_Geek wrote: View Post
You mean the Hearst produced 90s Flash Gordon where he and Dale were teens? ...Might be interesting to revisit it, and judge it on it's own merits, rather than on how it wasn't the Filmation show.
Major Matt Mason here would never steer ya wrong.
Old March 18 2009, 09:45 PM   #13
cylkoth
Commodore

blockaderunner wrote: View Post

I have some memory of it. What I do remember was once Flash, Dale, and Zarkov landed on Mongo, they were immediately put in chains and treated rather harshly. Pretty intense for an animated piece.
Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post

Had no idea baout the movie!

As a kid, loved the 1st season. If that was the kiddified version (with Hawkmen being vaporized in the same fashion every other episode -- stock footage!), the movie must've been great!

2nd season was maybe OK (don't remember..it's been a whole lifetime ago!).
The whole movie's up on You Tube if you'd like to see it. I really wish it could be released on dvd. IIRC, BCI which released the tv series, doesn't have rights to the tv movie, nor does a satisfactory print of it still exist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJ1wE0vvno
Alpha_Geek wrote: View Post
Alrighty...curiousity mode deactivated.