Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 29 2009, 01:41 AM   #166
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: TMP's uniforms

Once again, TGT, you have proven you know everything!

I assumed that GR's 'relaxed' views of Earth might included some more 'casual' dress codes, but I had no idea...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 01:42 AM   #167
Drake
Lieutenant

As far as the in universe "reality" of Star Trek is concerned, the spray and wear technology must have had some flaw or disadvantage, because they went back to hanging uniforms in closets at some point. That was shown in at least one of the WOK era movies as I recall. I don't think I'll speculate too much on what the problem may have been, but the tutu concept mentioned above comes to mind.
Old March 29 2009, 01:42 AM   #168
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The more I read about GR - I've got to ask, does he write anything that doesn't involve sex, people taking their clothes off, having three breasts or hypersexuality?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 01:43 AM   #169
Drake
Lieutenant

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The more I read about GR - I've got to ask, does he write anything that doesn't involve sex, people taking their clothes off, having three breasts or hypersexuality?
Not often. It seemed to be foremost on his mind a lot of the time.
Old March 29 2009, 02:14 AM   #170
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Drake wrote: View Post
Not often. It seemed to be foremost on his mind a lot of the time.
Indeed, given the abundant cocaine use and liberated sexuality, I expect the 70s were a fun time for him.

Ironically, I remember reading he had some impotence issues. Probably the cocaine.

I wonder then if the 2270s were anything like the 1970s? Clearly the fashions bore some similarities.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old March 29 2009, 02:25 AM   #171
Data Holmes
Admiral

The godfather of Trekkies.
Old March 29 2009, 02:25 AM   #172
Drake
Lieutenant

One could make some interesting in universe speculations about the different time periods of the future, based on the various artifacts shown on screen. But, I would put myself to sleep if I tried to do that in detail. Clearly something had altered in the fashion sense between TMP and WOK.
Old March 29 2009, 02:34 AM   #173
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I like to think it has something to do with deterioration of relations between the Klingons and Romulans, and the feeling that a quadrant-wide war might break out at any moment.

Or certain shrinkage-prone admirals got sick of having the spray-ons fail at the wrong moment.
Old March 29 2009, 02:36 AM   #174
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I mentioned this before - the TMP novel is quite interesting is that it suggests that the members of Star Fleet are effectively throwbacks, too savage to be happy on earth.
Old March 29 2009, 02:40 AM   #175
Drake
Lieutenant

Praetor wrote: View Post
I like to think it has something to do with deterioration of relations between the Klingons and Romulans, and the feeling that a quadrant-wide war might break out at any moment.

Or certain shrinkage-prone admirals got sick of having the spray-ons fail at the wrong moment.
I've read that theory about increased tensions in the late 2270s and I find it very plausible. The same might also apply to the early 2370s with the onset of the Dominion and Borg threats and the "First Contact" uniforms. As for shrinking prone admirals....thank goodness I'm just a hyperinflated captain (not referring to the same anatomical regions).
Old March 29 2009, 02:41 AM   #176
Drake
Lieutenant

I mentioned this before - the TMP novel is quite interesting is that it suggests that the members of Star Fleet are effectively throwbacks, too savage to be happy on earth.
Thank goodness for throwbacks.
Old March 29 2009, 02:46 AM   #177
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I have actually always been interested in (and a little scared of) reading this.

Drake wrote: View Post

I've read that theory about increased tensions in the late 2270s and I find it very plausible. The same might also apply to the early 2370s with the onset of the Dominion and Borg threats and the "First Contact" uniforms. As for shrinking prone admirals....thank goodness I'm just a hyperinflated captain (not referring to the same anatomical regions).
I agree with regard to the 2270s (well-through the 2340s, apparently) and 2370s being more militaristic and the uniforms thus reflecting the 'mood' of the era.
Old March 29 2009, 02:57 AM   #178
Drake
Lieutenant

I have actually always been interested in (and a little scared of) reading this.
I read it when it first came out (dates himself again) and it's been years since I've looked at it. As I recall, it contains references to open, contractual marriages (Kirk was in one with a vice admiral prior to the events of the movie), neo-humans who were very much into group identities rather than individuality, and considerable information (TMI?) regarding Deltan sensuality and their potent pheromones causing some embarassing moments for our stalwart heroes. Sulu, in particular, chose to remain seated at his console at one point.
Old March 29 2009, 03:03 AM   #179
Christopher
Writer

elton wrote: View Post
Seems impractical to replace something as simple as fabricated clothing with an electrical device that might be susceptible to failure, leaving the subject bollock naked should it happen.
It's equally impractical to replace something as simple as prison bars with a forcefield device that might be susceptible to failure, or to replace something as simple as towing cable with a tractor beam that might be susceptible to failure, or to replace something as simple as wheels with a levitation system that might be susceptible to failure. It's a common conceit of science fiction to replace practical engineering with overcomplicated energy-based alternatives for the sake of seeming futuristic.

You say that as though there were something wrong with it.

And it's not as if it was unique to GR. You ever read Larry Niven's Ringworld and other Known Space books? Nudism licenses on Earth, ritual interspecies sex as a Ringworld norm, etc. Plenty of '60s and '70s science fiction explored futures with more liberal sexuality than our own. It was an extrapolation from the Sexual Revolution of the time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2009, 03:12 AM   #180
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
elton wrote: View Post
Seems impractical to replace something as simple as fabricated clothing with an electrical device that might be susceptible to failure, leaving the subject bollock naked should it happen.
It's equally impractical to replace something as simple as prison bars with a forcefield device that might be susceptible to failure, or to replace something as simple as towing cable with a tractor beam that might be susceptible to failure, or to replace something as simple as wheels with a levitation system that might be susceptible to failure. It's a common conceit of science fiction to replace practical engineering with overcomplicated energy-based alternatives for the sake of seeming futuristic.

You say that as though there were something wrong with it.

And it's not as if it was unique to GR. You ever read Larry Niven's Ringworld and other Known Space books? Nudism licenses on Earth, ritual interspecies sex as a Ringworld norm, etc. Plenty of '60s and '70s science fiction explored futures with more liberal sexuality than our own. It was an extrapolation from the Sexual Revolution of the time.

I read ringworld at 11 in the school library, it blew my mind and then I had to write a book report and read it to the class.

"Then they meet those aliens and have sex with them and.."

The books swiftly moved from the library...