Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 28 2009, 03:26 AM   #151
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP's uniforms

Christopher wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
In fact, the TMP uniforms were test dyed for a variety of colors, including Navy, to see what would take the best. Maroon took the best; thus also giving us the color of the officer's coats so as to match the re-purposed TMP uniforms.
So that's why the jackets are that ugly maroon? Due purely to fabric-dyeing considerations?
Pretty much. Although, it seems that I misremembered. I recalled maroon/dark red being the color that took the best... maybe from another interview, or my short-circuit memory.

It is discussed in this interview with Fletcher:

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tmp_5.php

Emphasis mine

They decided to salvage what they could from the existing costumes by changing the tailoring and the colours. A series of dye tests showed that the old uniforms would take three different colors well: a blue-grey, a gold, and a dark red. The plan was to use the modified uniforms for the junior cadets, and enough money was found to design an entirely new wardrobe for the ship's officers.

Fletcher was careful not to reproduce any specific naval uniforms and used the dark red colour that had been discovered during the dry tests. Meyer was keen on this approach, since it made the costumes dramatic and created a strong contrast with the background.
QuasarVM wrote: View Post
Here's a variant of the TMP uniforms (a one-piece uniform with an external pants pocket and cuffs on the sleeves) that were in some of the publicity photos (this particular shot is a scan from one of the Topps ST:TMP trading cards from 1979), but I do not recall seeing them in the film itself...

They wore those uniforms underneath their landing party jackets. Scotty wears one in the final scene on the bridge and Decker wears it in his first scene in the film and in the infamous "woody shot" in the corridor.

Moreover, these were the jumpers that were altered to be the enlisted (black collar) and trainee (red collar) jumpers in TWOK.

Decker:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture0251.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture0286.jpg

Kirk with jacket off, showing the jumper (as seen in the pic above):

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture1498.jpg

Scotty in his:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture1499.jpg
Old March 28 2009, 07:05 AM   #152
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I guess they weren't in that big of a rush to save Earth if they had time to change into the one-piece uniforms. I thought they'd just thrown the jackets on over what they were wearing before.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 05:54 PM   #153
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I thought so too.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 05:56 PM   #154
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
I guess they weren't in that big of a rush to save Earth if they had time to change into the one-piece uniforms. I thought they'd just thrown the jackets on over what they were wearing before.

Must've been one of the cut scenes where Illa tells them they have time to change because V'Ger is still fixing their milk and cookies.
Old March 28 2009, 05:58 PM   #155
Christopher
Writer

Well, given the clothing-materialization technology implied in Ilia's shower scene, perhaps the idea was that changing uniforms was as simple as stepping into a booth and pushing a button. The jumpsuits might've been deemed more appropriate for an away mission for some reason.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 06:02 PM   #156
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, given the clothing-materialization technology implied in Ilia's shower scene, perhaps the idea was that changing uniforms was as simple as stepping into a booth and pushing a button. The jumpsuits might've been deemed more appropriate for an away mission for some reason.
I'd forgotten about the "spray and wear" concept in TMP. The jumpers are more utilitarian, so I can see them taking the time to spray and go.
Old March 28 2009, 06:19 PM   #157
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Was the "spray and wear" clothing part of GR's concept for Phase II? I could see them getting some great comedy out of those... all it takes is one computer virus and you've got Scotty in a tutu and Spock dressed like Captain Jack Sparrow.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 06:35 PM   #158
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

Was the "spray and wear" clothing part of GR's concept for Phase II?

I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned in anything on Phase II, but it certainly could have been since a lot of what was PII went into TMP. The first time I saw the term "spray-and-wear" was in the Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture book. I just looked up the chapter on Robert Fletcher and it only mentions that GR believed in "throwaway" fashions in the 23rd Century, not where the concept originated.
Old March 28 2009, 07:22 PM   #159
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's what I always thought! Oh the details!
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 11:16 PM   #160
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Was the "spray and wear" clothing part of GR's concept for Phase II?
"The same distinction between Earth and space-faring lifestyle will apply to clothing. Style and material of space uniforms and working clothes will be functional and professional, suited to the occupation of the wearer.

For all we know, there may be very new types of clothing in the world of the future. Rather than using the really archaic, bothersome clothing that we are accustomed to, requiring change, cleaning, pressing, mending, tailoring, buttoning, zippering, and so on, future folks will have non-reusable clothing that is recycled after each use through total breakdown into its constituent elements by that great innovation of the future: the fusion torch.

Even better, many future people will carry nothing but a belt. But what a belt!

This small device contains a rechargeable power source, a tiny microprocessor/computer, a force field generator, and a selector keyboard that allows almost infinite settings. By punching up coded combinations, the power belt wearer dresses by establishing fabrics if force fields around his or her body: selectively skintight or flowing, opaque or transparent, any desired texture, cut, fashion, size, shape, color and hue. The garment never needs cleaning, and its wearer can get undressed at the push of a button (no mess of discarded clothes), has no recycling problems, and can change attire at the flick of a finger. Of course, a safety switch protects against accidental exposure (and practical jokes aimed at attractive wearers). On the other hand, seduction intentions will never again be frustrated by stuck zippers or lengthy disrobings.

With power belts like this, it will be quite a widespread custom (are you ready?) for office girls to change from office attire to after-work topless by pressing a button, in order to signal that they are going off duty. (For office boys, other and even stranger customs will prevail.) Naturally, there will be a flourishing fashion industry selling pushbutton code combination for new and popular styles."
- The 23rd Century: A Vision for Star Trek by Jesco von Puttkamer (1976).

You know, it just occurred to me that JvP's "forcefield couture" would be rather easy to depict with modern CGI.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 11:24 PM   #161
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

With power belts like this, it will be quite a widespread custom (are you ready?) for office girls to change from office attire to after-work topless by pressing a button, in order to signal that they are going off duty. (For office boys, other and even stranger customs will prevail.)

Their cocks will pop out?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 11:36 PM   #162
GodThingFormerly

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I suppose that one could only get so descriptive in a G-rated MediaSF magazine such as Future Life which is where this particular (undoubtedly edited) memo was reproduced.

TGT
Old March 29 2009, 12:59 AM   #163
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

Seems impractical to replace something as simple as fabricated clothing with an electrical device that might be susceptible to failure, leaving the subject bollock naked should it happen.
Old March 29 2009, 01:23 AM   #164
Data Holmes
Admiral

The God Thing wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I suppose that one could only get so descriptive in a G-rated MediaSF magazine such as Future Life which is where this particular (undoubtedly edited) memo was reproduced.

TGT
I'm shocked you haven't been able to track down a copy of the actual memo.
Old March 29 2009, 01:39 AM   #165
GodThingFormerly

elton wrote: View Post
Seems impractical to replace something as simple as fabricated clothing with an electrical device that might be susceptible to failure, leaving the subject bollock naked should it happen.
JvP was discussing civilian fashions on 23rd century Earth, and since Gene Roddenberry wanted to depict casual public nudity in ST:TMP I don't think that such malfunctions (intended or otherwise) would be grounds for a rehab session at the Tantalus V penal colony.

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I'm shocked you haven't been able to track down a copy of the actual memo.
Actually, there is rumored to have been a mysterious B&E into the Alexandria, VA. residence of a NASA HQ manager several years ago that has never been solved...

TGT