Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old December 7 2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Captain Zog
Lieutenant Commander

If you were the creator of ENT, what would you have done differently?

This is how I'd have handled things:

1. Minimal use of the Klingons before Season 4.

2. No exposure to holodecks or holographic technology.

3. The crew would be armed with lasers instead of phase-pistols and there would be no photogenic torpedoes. Instead, Enterprise would be armed with more 'primitive' plasma weapons - and possibly also some nuclear weapons, which would be considered standard by this time.

4. I would have made some design changes to the exterior of the NX-01 to make it appear more like a forerunner to Kirk's Enterprise rather than to 24th century starships.

5. The transporter would be a purely experimental device used solely for the purpose of on-loading and off-loading supplies. It would break down frequently, with the dematerialized matter never reappearing.

6. There would be less time travel and no Temporal Cold War.

7. The Xindi would only play a minor role. The attack on Earth at the end of Season 2 would be carried out by a long-range Romulan weapon, laying the seeds for the EArth-Romulan War.

8. The final episode would be completely changed. It would not serve as a pseudo-TNG ep, but would involve an elderly member of the senior staff (I got this idea from a previous poster) reminiscing about the establishment of the Federation in 2161 against the backdrop of the nascent Earth-Romulan War.
Old December 8 2008, 12:16 AM   #2
HeyLookItsMe
Cadet

Re: If you were the creator of ENT, what would you have done different

As much as many of these kinds of continutity issues and nitpicks drove me and so many other people crazy over four years, they aren't really what leaves everyone with such a bad taste in their mouth. What was a perfectly good premise for a Star Trek series was simply poorly written, and had to many poorly or inconsistently written characters. Had the focus been less on blatant attempts to increase viewership (the T & A Chamber ect) and more on producing a show of the caliber of TOS, TNG, DS9, or early VGR then the latter issue would have addressed the former.

No hating! I stuck with the show, beginning to end, and loved it when it was *on*. I just wish they had been a bit more able to knock them out of the park regularly, and less willing to sell out a characters integrity for what ultimately garnered nothing but a cancelation.
Old December 8 2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Captain X
Rear Admiral

I'd do this.
Old December 8 2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

Captain Zog wrote: View Post
3. The crew would be armed with lasers instead of phase-pistols and there would be no photogenic torpedoes.
You really want ugly torpedoes? Photogenic torpedoes hehe
Old December 8 2008, 12:52 AM   #5
SFRabid
Commodore

Put a scientist on duty to review all scripts.
Old December 8 2008, 06:45 AM   #6
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

No Temporal Cold War.
No catsuits.
No transporter.
No phase cannons.
No Klingons (just because I was sick of them by the end of DS9).
No alien SuperDoctor. I never liked that doctors in "future Trek" had a worse track record than Phlox.

I'd have a smaller, less advanced ship. 50-60 crew. They'd have to return to Earth once in a while for supplies and to make reports (and since my Star Trek -- the one I was hoping we'd get -- would be very dangerous, they also have to bring home their dead and pick up replacements). And they wouldn't be able communicate instanteously with Earth.

T'Pol would be (unwillingly) assigned as an observer, which would tick off the otherwise all-human crew who don't want Vulcans evaluating them. She would never be science officer, first officer or Porthos' pooper scooper.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
Old December 8 2008, 07:39 AM   #7
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I agree with all the poster's ideas. The only specific change I can think of - which I know is totally fan-wank - is the ship would be based on the early Enterprise seen in the rec-deck scene in TMP. That would have been a great bit of continuity which I, for one, would have appreciated.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
Old December 8 2008, 05:05 PM   #8
BeautifulAndTerribleRomantic
love me and despair

MerryJinXmas wrote: View Post
T'Pol would be (unwillingly) assigned as an observer, which would tick off the otherwise all-human crew who don't want Vulcans evaluating them. She would never be science officer, first officer...
I'm curious...what would she do, if she were only an observer? If she had no duties or responsibilities as a crewmember, and she was there exactly for the reason Archer suspected--to report back to the VHC--where's the drama?
Old December 8 2008, 05:54 PM   #9
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

HolidayRomantic wrote: View Post
T'Pol would be (unwillingly) assigned as an observer, which would tick off the otherwise all-human crew who don't want Vulcans evaluating them. She would never be science officer, first officer...
I'm curious...what would she do, if she were only an observer? If she had no duties or responsibilities as a crewmember, and she was there exactly for the reason Archer suspected--to report back to the VHC--where's the drama?
I would have kept T'Pol as science officer. For the most part humans wee going into space blind. Whether they liked it or not it made sense to have someone with more knowledge and experience on the staff to help out.

I'd say the same for keeping Phlox too.

I wouldn't change much about the design of the ship. The Enterprise needs to retain a certain style to seem 'Trek' enough and taking away a lot of the detail and TOS'd would have been absolutely pointless. Not only would it look dreadful on screen, but you can't have your first ship be streamlined and perfect.

Weapons, I'd agree, should have been less advanced and the transporter should have had the 'Fly' effect on organic matter and not yet been refined.

The Xindi arc was probably the best idea they had, keeping an ongoing story instead of one offs which would dry up the idea of this being the first ship, really quickly. But maybe a moe familier enemy...

Less TNG elements, no Borg or Ferengi, much more of a struggle and no Scott Bakula.
Old December 8 2008, 06:26 PM   #10
Penguin
Commander

No Three "B's": Berman, Bragga and Bakkula.

An action "A" thread and a interpersonel "B" thread that would forward inter personal chracterization and relationships. the B thread could be woven into the A Thread on occasion otherwise it would be used on occasion to forward relationships and character growth.

NO Xindi. would rather have the Orion sydicate as the main enemy until a good romulan vs Terra/vulcan/Andoran coalition war was started.

T-Pol as cience Officer and Trip as first Officer and Chief Engineer. T-Pol's rank as Lt commander to avoid this crap about her outranking Trip.

Different captain (if he were younger, about 60, Brian Keith taking the role) More vigerous but one who stays on board, doesn't go on away mission but fights the Enterprise for all it is worth.

The series a true Ensemble series, no one Hero series. That is one thing that killed the series for me was too damned much Archer. I kept hoping he would get killed off at some point but didn't happen.

More backgound on Reeds days in secion 31 and HOshi's days as a Gambler having a black Belt and able to use the odl style phaser guns.

MoRE Travis.
Old December 8 2008, 09:43 PM   #11
SFRabid
Commodore

No dog on the ship.
Old December 9 2008, 02:21 AM   #12
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

HolidayRomantic wrote: View Post
Sorry. I should have been clearer. She'd be assigned as an observer for a single mission in the pilot, but the Vulcans would conclude that her experience could mitigate the recklessness of Archer and crew and so they prevail on SF to permit her remain on board in a limited capacity as an adviser. She'd attempt to educate Archer -- sometimes he'd listen, sometimes not so much. Sometimes things would work out anyway, and sometimes not so much.

My main point is that my Archer isn't going to invite a member of a species he despises to join his crew as science officer, much less first officer.

It makes more sense to me to have them forced to work together. Conflict would be a natural outcome of the officers' and crew's resentment of being told they're not ready to go it alone. And this way, when the VHC recommends at the end of their first year in space that the NX-01 should be recalled, T'Pol sticks up for them, stating that the humans experiences and first contacts have not gone any worse than those of the Vulcans in the early years of their own explorations; that they have demonstrated their capacity to learn from their mistakes; and have earned the right to continue their work.

Her support helps to transform her relationship with her fellow shipmates.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
Old December 9 2008, 02:24 AM   #13
Penguin
Commander

Sfrabid. No Dog? What would Archer do for a love life?
Old December 10 2008, 02:42 AM   #14
Praetor
Vice Admiral

No Temporal Cold War.
No catsuits.
No transporter.
No phase cannons.
No Klingons (just because I was sick of them by the end of DS9).
No alien SuperDoctor. I never liked that doctors in "future Trek" had a worse track record than Phlox.

I'd have a smaller, less advanced ship. 50-60 crew. They'd have to return to Earth once in a while for supplies and to make reports (and since my Star Trek -- the one I was hoping we'd get -- would be very dangerous, they also have to bring home their dead and pick up replacements). And they wouldn't be able communicate instanteously with Earth.

T'Pol would be (unwillingly) assigned as an observer, which would tick off the otherwise all-human crew who don't want Vulcans evaluating them. She would never be science officer, first officer or Porthos' pooper scooper.
You must have read my mind.

All of these ideas are quite similar to a prequel concept that I was brainstorming before 'Enterprise' ever came up. (At the time it was called 'New Dawn' but in retrospect I'd have likely called it (and the ship) 'Phoenix'.)

I've revised my concepts a bit since 'Enterprise' came out, but obeys your 'no' rules - no catsuits, no transporter, no phase cannons/photonic torps, no Klingons (well, maybe ONE episode), no Alien SuperDoc. No Ferengi. No Borg. No Temporal Cold War. And no damn dog.

In short, for my show the main crew were all a bit older than their 'Enterprise' counterparts - military/NASA types who've trained their whole lives and are the best of the best. My first officer (and helmsman) would have been a boomer like the Mayweather character - I would have called him Rand and had him be the progenitor of the Rand Starfleet legacy. XO would have clashed a lot with the by-the-book Captain. The Archer 'warp five' plot would have gone to the Trip character. My Vulcan would have been assigned via an exchange program instituted by the VHC to keep an eye on human ships. She would have been similar to the aborted 'Xon' character from Phase II - young, brilliant (even for a Vulcan) and remarkably curious about humans and emotions. I might have adapted the idea that she was part (or completely) Romulan and raised by spy parents on Vulcan. (A scene I had written had the Vulcan character go to witness a hard-wired, two chamber transporter prototype demonstration on the ground... in a small auditorium. This would be the only transporter on the entire series.) The doctor would have been French of African ancestry or possibly from somewhere in the Caribbean. I would also have included a female Middle-Eastern navigator. The ship would be capable of landing, but would primarily rely on larger, more combat-capable versions of the shuttlepods.

There would be a lot of drama from Vulcan-Andorian conflicts, Orion piracy, and other skullduggery ultimately attributed to the Romulans, and I would build towards laying the ground-work for the Romulan War and the forming of the UFP. I would also have laid out a careful plan toward introducing any race from previous Trek lore, not just 'gee, let's see a Rigellian!' I would have liked to have included the Tzenkethi as a xenophobic, declining empire of dry-skinned reptiles with references from the ancient Egyptian, Chinese and Japanese cultures, including ships resembling flying kanji. (I have a drawing of that somewhere.)

My last episode would have probably been a flash-forward two-parter commemorating the tenth anniversary of the end of the Romulan War and the destruction of the ship at the pivotal Battle of Cheron. I might have also done a bookend framing story, forward into the TNG era, having Riker and Troi on the Titan arriving at Romulus post-Nemesis to receive the ship's dedication plaque recovered from Cheron and held for long by the Romulans.

Or not.

Maybe I'll copy-paste some of my notes later, or revise them to what I would do knowing what I know now, if anyone is interested.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old December 10 2008, 05:31 AM   #15
casey
Lieutenant Commander

Most of what I think has already be said. However:
No "Faith of the Heart!!!!!" I would use "Archer's Theme."
I would call it Star Trek from the beginning.
I would research Vulcan behavior, thus ensuring that "Stigma" never happened. I finally watched this for the first time yesterday and was actually in shock.
Hire writers with creativity. The problem with ENT is with consistency. Really good episodes with really really bland ones. Some of them are neither good nor bad, just bland, boring, and unwatchable. They need interesting concepts.
Shran playing a bigger role, eventually being second in command.
While they make interesting wall paper, I would like to see Hoshi and Maywether developed. Wait, I take that back. Now that I think of the episodes where they tried to develop them, they are some of the most bland episodes.
Manny Coto from the beginning!
Absolutely no time travel!
No ferengi or borg.

And no I don't hate ENT! It is growing on me, though I have yet to see all of season 1 and 2. I am hoping to get the DVDs for Christmas, then I will have a lot more to say.