TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 18 2009, 12:56 AM   #31
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile
Re: Stream of Stars podcast is up - RDM discusses Daniel theories

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
"Kara Thrace is really dead."
- Just saying...
If you go back and listen to the Maelstrom podcast, he never says a single thing that wasn't true. Either related to the shows plot or the real life conversations with Katee etc... it was all true, he just left out the bit about her returning.

This time he is explicit. There is no Daniel/Starbuck connection. I believe it.
Its been awhile since I listened to the podcast for Maelstrom, but I do remember thinking, he's being lawyerly in how he's dealing with Starbuck's "death" which basically told me Kara was coming back in some manner even as howls raged around this place at how badly Katee Sackhoff was treated and that she left because of some dispute or some such.

I had a similar response when RDM somewhat uncharacteristically (a fact he acknowledges) tackled this particular issue, it just rung in my ear as out of sync. It seemed (to me) he should have waited until after the Finale to respond to this issue in interviews or whatever... He could very well being upfront in this matter and if so, good I'd like to be surprised!

Sharr
Old March 18 2009, 01:04 AM   #32
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Daniel being Starbuck's father would have rendered the entire Hera storyline pointless. I'm SO glad they didn't go there and make super Kara the first true hybrid. What would have been the point of Hera otherwise?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old March 18 2009, 01:39 AM   #33
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

Daddy Thrace performed at the Opera House. There's your missing link to bridge All Along The Watchtower and the Five Cylons.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old March 18 2009, 01:39 AM   #34
MPH
Rear Admiral

Either way we better get some resolution to her story in the final ep and who the hell are those head people? If we don't I will be really pissed off
Old March 18 2009, 02:26 AM   #35
cbspock
Rear Admiral

She really has gone where no (wo)man has gone before, to paraphrase Dr. McCoy from ST4.

-Chris
Old March 18 2009, 02:41 AM   #36
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Kelso wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
As to RDM's Daniel comments (I just listened to the podcast), I'm actually a little relieved. To manufacture Daniel so late in the game and have him be a major player seemed a little too contrived for me.

At the same time, if Daniel has nothing to do with the story then why manufacture him at all?

We were getting along fine without him.
Because they needed another way to make Cavil look like a giant ass. I'm a little surprised that the Daniel/ Starbuck connection has been shot down. I'll be interested to see then what the connection between nuKara and the five is (I phrase it as nuKara simply because there may have not even been a connection between Kara and the five initially... Kara may have had to die to be somehow connected to the bigger picture.).

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 18 2009, 04:48 AM   #37
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Seven Of Five wrote:

^Why was Daniel conceived if not to be Starbuck's father? To explain why there was no Cylon model #7, which in turn added to the even-nastier side of Cavil we saw in 'No Exit.'

The first seems unnecessary and the second redundant. Cavil's nasty side has been displayed more than adequately on the series. Killing a faceless Cylon off-screen pales in comparison to his actions on New Caprica.

Dorian Thompson wrote:
Daniel being Starbuck's father would have rendered the entire Hera storyline pointless. I'm SO glad they didn't go there and make super Kara the first true hybrid. What would have been the point of Hera otherwise?
Whether or not Hera is the first hybrid is irrelevant... since nobody knows otherwise. IMO, her destiny was fulfilled when a unified group of Humans and Cylons volunteered to lay down their lives for her.

Damn it... is it Friday yet?!?

Edit: For clarification's sake... I don't care if Daniel and Kara are related. I simply enjoy speculating.

Last edited by Kelso; March 18 2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old March 18 2009, 04:52 AM   #38
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Kelso wrote: View Post
Seven Of Five wrote:

^Why was Daniel conceived if not to be Starbuck's father? To explain why there was no Cylon model #7, which in turn added to the even-nastier side of Cavil we saw in 'No Exit.'

The first seems unnecessary and the second redundant. Cavil's nasty side has been displayed more than adequately on the series. Killing a faceless Cylon off-screen pales in comparison to his actions on New Caprica.
It was also there to show how "flawed" Cavil was and how angry he was with the Five and Ellen specifically. He offed her favorite "child" to get back at her for making him so weak and so useless.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 18 2009, 04:00 PM   #39
Gregsmack
Captain

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
One thing that (I find) plagues a lot of science fiction sagas both on TV and in literature is the writer's tendency to try and answer Everything, tying the entire history of the universe into the details of his plot. I've been nervous about BSG's finale for that reason, hoping RDM wouldn't limit the scope of his universe with gift wrapping and bows. However, because of details like this, I am all the more intrigued about where this is all going than I might otherwise have been.
That seems to be a bit of an overgeneralization. I've read a lot of science fiction and have watched it on TV and I don't recall that being a big problem. Do you have examples of what you mean?

Mr Awe
For one, Ds9. Sisko couldn't have just been a man, he had to be the son of a Prophet. In the Dune series (admittedly, the lesser novels written by Herbert's son), everything was made to tie back and connect to other parts, lessening the scope substantially. Nothing could just exist in the universe, but had to come as a direct result of something the reader already read.

That's all I can give you this early in the morning. Maybe my original post was too much of an umbrella statement, after all, but I still think it's a valid point on many science fiction sagas (I think also of the Hyperion series, many posthumous 'continuations' of HP Lovecraft's work, and, quite obviously, Star Trek). This criticism is more of a personal beef than anything. One of the reasons I think Lord of the Rings (as a fantasy) is brilliant is because it creates a fully living, breathing world that exists as a canvas for the plot rather than directly affecting it at every turn.
Old March 18 2009, 11:06 PM   #40
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Killer Koinek wrote: View Post
So they spent an entire episode on an issue that could have been resolved in three lines:

"Here you go Starbuck! I drew this for you!"
"Oh my it's the same song my dad taught me!"
"OMG how do you know that song?!"

Instead, we got 40 minutes of emo.
Oh come on, by your argument every episode of TNG should never have been made because the plots are still the following: -

RIKER: "OMG, we have an alien doohicky causing us problems"
PICARD: "Its OK, fortunately one of the senior officers is having a personal revelation that includes a solution."
RIKER: "Excellent, how about a game of poker?"

Or DS9: -

KIRA: "OMG, we have an alien doohicky causing us problems"
SISKO: "Its OK, fortunately one of the senior officers is having a morally grey personal revelation that includes a solution."
KIRA: "Excellent, how about a Klingon coffee?"

or ENT: -

T'POL: "OMG, we have an alien doohicky causing us problems"
SAM BECKETT: "Its OK, fortunately one of the senior officers is having a personal revelation very similar to one on TNG or VGR that includes a solution."
T'POL: "Excellent, how about a naked gel massage?"

I could go on...
Old March 19 2009, 12:04 AM   #41
chrisspringob
Commodore

In the podcast for "No Exit", didn't Moore say that Daniel would play a role both in the final arc of BSG and in Caprica, or am I remembering that wrong?

If so, then Daniel could still turn out to be important in "Daybreak, Part 2", just not as Starbuck's father.
Old March 19 2009, 12:07 AM   #42
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
In the podcast for "No Exit", didn't Moore say that Daniel would play a role both in the final arc of BSG and in Caprica, or am I remembering that wrong?

If so, then Daniel could still turn out to be important in "Daybreak, Part 2", just not as Starbuck's father.
It was a somewhat absent minded remark that Daniel would be "important to Caprica" of course the podcast was being recorded while the writers were off on their writers retreat for Caprica. After he said it there was a LONG pause and moved on to another topic.

Sharr