Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 17 2009, 07:59 PM   #16
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: Stream of Stars podcast is up - RDM discusses Daniel theories

^
Old March 17 2009, 08:00 PM   #17
CommodoreNero
Captain

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
^

You were right. This IS fun! haha.
Old March 17 2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
One thing that (I find) plagues a lot of science fiction sagas both on TV and in literature is the writer's tendency to try and answer Everything, tying the entire history of the universe into the details of his plot. I've been nervous about BSG's finale for that reason, hoping RDM wouldn't limit the scope of his universe with gift wrapping and bows. However, because of details like this, I am all the more intrigued about where this is all going than I might otherwise have been.
That seems to be a bit of an overgeneralization. I've read a lot of science fiction and have watched it on TV and I don't recall that being a big problem. Do you have examples of what you mean?

Mr Awe
Old March 17 2009, 08:06 PM   #19
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

I also think it's a little unfair to put it like that, really. You could basically sum up every episode like that if you wanted to, even those that are widely regarded as excellent.
Which is true of any plot in any series its why plot alone can't really sustain and you need to care about the characters or become invested in them at some some level.

I'm sure there will be some answers, perhaps not what we're all expecting but there will be though as the show has often shown answers tend to breed more questions...

Sharr
Old March 17 2009, 08:07 PM   #20
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
I also think it's a little unfair to put it like that, really. You could basically sum up every episode like that if you wanted to, even those that are widely regarded as excellent.
Which is true of any plot in any series its why plot alone can't really sustain and you need to care about the characters or become invested in them at some some level.
Who suggested it should be plot only? No one that I can recall.

Mr Awe
Old March 17 2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

What if nuKara is one of the head people? So the real Kara IS dead, and nuKara is one of the head people that are messengers from the higher beings or whatever pulling the strings.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old March 17 2009, 09:53 PM   #22
Berg417448
Commander

Brent wrote: View Post
What if nuKara is one of the head people? So the real Kara IS dead, and nuKara is one of the head people that are messengers from the higher beings or whatever pulling the strings.
So..a head Kara had a head creature of her own in the form of the piano guy?
Old March 17 2009, 10:19 PM   #23
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

* Donīt answer everything, or almost all things, is a cheap way. Itīs not artistic decision in most the cases. Is that you was writing without planning and donīt have how to answer.
Old March 17 2009, 10:28 PM   #24
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

CaptainHarlock wrote: View Post
* Donīt answer everything, or almost all things, is a cheap way. Itīs not artistic decision in most the cases. Is that you was writing without planning and donīt have how to answer.
I think that's simplistic and discounts how a creative process works as well as tries to make it all work always the same way.

Pre planning also doesn't have a jot to do with any of it being good or not. Something can be "well thought out" and yet not really hold any answers or resounding meaning.

Also I imagine that RDM just might have many specific answers, and knows very well how they all work in his universe, this doesn't preclude sill not spoon feeding what he knows to us all.

I can get why a writer/creator might hold back some of what he knows and allow for gaps. The real world doesn't have pretty bows all on it.

Sharr
Old March 17 2009, 10:34 PM   #25
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
As to RDM's Daniel comments (I just listened to the podcast), I'm actually a little relieved. To manufacture Daniel so late in the game and have him be a major player seemed a little too contrived for me.

At the same time, if Daniel has nothing to do with the story then why manufacture him at all?

We were getting along fine without him.
Old March 17 2009, 10:36 PM   #26
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Kelso wrote: View Post
At the same time, if Daniel has nothing to do with the story then why manufacture him at all?

We were getting along fine without him.
I wouldn't say he has nothing to do with the story. He plugged the gap in the Cylon model lineup and gave us additional background on Cavil and his motives.
Old March 17 2009, 11:48 PM   #27
Seven of Five
Commodore

Daniel isn't Starbuck's father? I like that idea. I still think he's special, but I'd favour an outcome where everybody isn't related to each other in some way.

^Why was Daniel conceived if not to be Starbuck's father? To explain why there was no Cylon model #7, which in turn added to the even-nastier side of Cavil we saw in 'No Exit.'
Old March 18 2009, 12:20 AM   #28
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
"Kara Thrace is really dead."
- Just saying...
If you go back and listen to the Maelstrom podcast, he never says a single thing that wasn't true. Either related to the shows plot or the real life conversations with Katee etc... it was all true, he just left out the bit about her returning.

This time he is explicit. There is no Daniel/Starbuck connection. I believe it.
Old March 18 2009, 12:27 AM   #29
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I am disappointed that Daniel/#7 is not Kara's father, I really liked that notion.
Old March 18 2009, 12:29 AM   #30
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
I am disappointed that Daniel/#7 is not Kara's father, I really liked that notion.
I did too, at first, but then when it became accepted as almost fact by everyone since it fit so nicely, I began to dislike it because there would be too obvious.