RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,698
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 436
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 17 2009, 03:05 PM   #16
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Will Caprica be... you know, good?

cultcross wrote: View Post
CaptainHarlock wrote: View Post
Good, but boring.
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
Do you mean good but not action-packed?

I'll be very interested to see Caprica. It sounds more character, concept based Sci-Fi with the advantage of having backstory and so on set up from BSG, without the previous series stepping on its toes particularly, as it was completely different.
I really hope they take this in new and intersting directions, and don't fall for introducing sexy female cylons by episode 5 to keep the ratings up.
* Yes, is contraditory, but it´s like I feel now for the lastest episodes. You know they are good writing, the story is good. But are boring to watch.

Maybe the problem was that Ron Moore have fewer episodes (and budget) to do a new full new arc of story before the end, but have more episodes than he needs to end the story.
Old March 17 2009, 07:42 PM   #17
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

Fury wrote: View Post
Based on the script I read, the first spoiler is not accurate.
Ah, that's good. Thanks for the info.
Old March 17 2009, 09:14 PM   #18
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to a tv movie that fleshes out some nubsg backstory. I doubt the series will go farther than one season.
Old March 17 2009, 10:57 PM   #19
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

I have the feeling that RDM, et al, will take all the lessons learned from BSG and make Caprica even better (ie things like at least having an idea of who the 12 Cylons were, even if you change them mid-stream; having an idea of The Plan, even it changes mid-stream) This is bittersweet because it will make Caprica even better as it explores the philosophical issues of AI and slavery, but will be frustrating to think things like "why didn't they do BSG like this?"

Have no doubt, I want to like it, I am worried about SyFy forcing pro-wrestler cameos here and there, but I think it will be nice to watch.

I also hope RDM sketches a three season/thirteen ep each plan and sticks to it (more or less).
Old March 17 2009, 11:05 PM   #20
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I think it will start off good but I don't trust Jane Espensen's writing skills at all so I'm very worried about where the show will end up.
Old March 17 2009, 11:07 PM   #21
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

I want to like it. From what I have seen it looks more like a lower level sci-fi show than BSG. What I mean by that is it looks to be on the level of like a 4400 or one of those shows that you follow but don't care too terribly if/when it gets cancelled.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's amazing and better than BSG itself. Who knows? I'll sure give it a chance - even with my current disillusionment with the ending arc of BSG.
Old March 17 2009, 11:53 PM   #22
Seven of Five
Commodore

I don't have very high expectations of it at the moment, the little bits I've heard here and there just don't sound too appealing. If it can add to the mythology in a positive way, and have good characters too then I'll be happy to watch. It needs to be what Angel is to Buffy. (Does that mean leave Espensen behind and bring in David Greenwalt? I'm confusing myself.)
Old March 18 2009, 02:57 AM   #23
Brolan
Commodore

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
I think it will be pretty good but I predict cancellation after 1 season.

I call your 1 season cancellation and raise to a 4 episode cancellation.
Old March 18 2009, 05:11 AM   #24
Harvey
Admiral

^^
Since they've ordered a whole first season, and don't have the money to let that go to waste even in the face of absymal ratings, I highly doubt that.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 18 2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
^^
Since they've ordered a whole first season, and don't have the money to let that go to waste even in the face of absymal ratings, I highly doubt that.
Indeed - at the very least they'd get it on DVD.
Old March 18 2009, 10:03 PM   #26
cultcross
Say my name...

One particularly interesting thing for me might be the opportunity to actually see a couple more of the 12 colonies - after all, in nuBSGs entire run we only ever saw Caprica. It would be nice to see what Saggiteron or Tauron is (was?) actually like.
Old March 19 2009, 03:12 AM   #27
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

The Amazon.com Exclusive Clip actually caught my interest. I am cautiously optimistic about this thing.

Oh, and it looks like Temis was right about Esai Morales. He feels like an Adama to me.
Old March 19 2009, 03:24 AM   #28
Ward Fowler
Commodore

Magic 8 ball says "Are you f-ing kidding me?"
Old March 19 2009, 04:58 AM   #29
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I fear 85% no, 15% yes. We'll probably get a show that could be aired on CBS and the avg public will not know that its not a 21 century, contemporary drama..except for phone lines that look like they are circa 1958. Plus its kind of like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...we know they're doomed anyway.

RAMA
Old March 19 2009, 04:59 AM   #30
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm definitely interested in Caprica. I think it has a good chance of being creatively successful and not a bad chance of financial success - being on cable makes it a lower hurdle.

Oh, and it looks like Temis was right about Esai Morales. He feels like an Adama to me.
Based on his performance in Jericho, it was a slam dunk (and I'm reasonably sure that performance factored into his getting this gig - he was basically playing Jericho's version of Bill Adama.)

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; March 19 2009 at 05:49 AM.