Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 17 2009, 04:17 AM   #1
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Will Caprica be... you know, good?

I'm optimistic about what how you guys think Caprica will do. What about you guys?

I'm really looking forward to learning more about life in the Twelve Colonies. Ever since I got into BSG I've been fascinated about the idea of a culture that's almost identical to our own, from suits with neckties to limos to swear words like 'Frak', yet it's developed on a totally different planet with different nationalities represented. With the exception of the, you know, space ships and killer robots, it's essentially a variant of 21st Century Earth.

I also think it's really neat how the good guys are polytheists and the bad guys are monotheists; usually in fiction it's the other way around.

Are you guys looking forward to Caprica? Do you think it will do well?
Old March 17 2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Gregsmack
Captain

Re: Will Caprica be... you know, good?

Not sure about it doing well, but I'm definitely interested.

On that note, I just watched a pilot for a new NBC series called 'Kings'. Decent, interesting, and potentially watchable, which probably means it's doomed.
Old March 17 2009, 04:28 AM   #3
Fury
Captain

Having read the two hour pilot script I have to say I really liked it. It's no BSG in terms of being compelling (the apocalypse is a tad hard to beat), but it stands on its own on creating a universe that feels fresh and still has room for plenty of twists. I really liked Joseph Adama and the some of the unlikely dynamics they set up with his character and background. There were a lot of interesting ideas introduced concerning cultural decadence and literally having a society spiraling out of control that I thought had tangible connections to our world.

I wasn't blown away by the plot with the Greystones, though the drama with Daniel Greystone's daughter should definently lead in interesting directions. I'm also curious about the direction they're going in concerning religious tolerance and artificial intelligence.

The pilot ends on a bit of a cliffhanger (or more accurately, a set up) and I found myself wondering what would happen next. I have admit I was pretty skeptical initially; I've always really enjoyed the military and political aspects of BSG and wasn't sure that a prequel that had a different emphasis would do it for me. I wouldn't say Caprica looks to be a replacement so much it will serve as a compliment to BSG. Anyways, I can't wait for the dvd to come out next month.
Old March 17 2009, 04:36 AM   #4
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Not sure about it doing well, but I'm definitely interested.

On that note, I just watched a pilot for a new NBC series called 'Kings'. Decent, interesting, and potentially watchable, which probably means it's doomed.
Wikipedia'd it. Looks pretty cool. I like the idea - that's what I was talking about. Contemporary society yet, in a totally fictional setting. I'm sick of all these sci fi shows set in a futuristic New York City (and it's ALWAYS NewYork City). It's downloading now.

And Fury, how did you get a hold of the script? Lucky you . Do you think us BSG fans will enjoy it? How much of a science fiction element does it keep?
Old March 17 2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Fury
Captain

[quote=What's his face;2720888]
Gregsmack wrote: View Post

And Fury, how did you get a hold of the script? Lucky you . Do you think us BSG fans will enjoy it? How much of a science fiction element does it keep?
A friend linked me to one of those general tv spoiler sites which had numerous pilot scripts including Kings and Virtuality. Caprica has been taken down since, but Virtuality (also by Ron Moore and Michael Taylor) can be found here:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3236363/...y_1x01_-_Pilot

Just a caveat; this is from an earlier draft and may not hold up.

As for Caprica, the science fiction elements are definitely there. We literally get to watch the race to develop artificial intelligence that can be utilized in a military setting, there is a version of the internet that is virtual reality which is taken to it's most logical extreme and excesses. Not much interstellar travel-- references to other colonies might as well be referring to neighboring states or foreign nations across an ocean. There are no scenes involving space travel, or at least nothing substantial happens out there (it's been a few months since I read it though). Technology is shown being advanced, but it's not overwhelming advanced and remains like BSG-- natural to the plot and seems plausible.

Caprica in many ways reminds me of what we saw in the Kings pilot. It's a society that feels very reminiscent of our own but has alien elements. Moreover, the Caprica pilot begins to explore the national and cultural differences between the colonies. There's not a ton, but it seems to be setting up for future development. Caprica is shown as a the first world of the colonies, while Tauron is referenced to have had a civil war or something resulting in refugees. There are distinct cultural differences referenced. The Tauron mob is a portrayed as being quite a force on Caprica (I actually really enjoyed that plotline-- it'll be fun to see where that goes).

The script wasn't totally clear on the governmental structure of the colonies, though the Caprican government is seen to be doing business with another business based on another colony. Maybe there was a loose confederation before the creation of the federal government that emerges during the 1st Cylon War?

Will all BSG fans like it? No, not everyone is going to stay for it. It's not going to be an action show by any means. It seems to operate at a different pace and the characters aren't going to appeal to everyone who loved BSG.This is just a prediction, but I forsee more character based episodes, something that I know will frustrate certain fans.

It's a fundamentally different type of show. That's not a bad thing; it's just different from say the Star Trek or Stargate spinoffs which all shared very important story elements. If Moore had wanted to do a Star Trek style spinoff he would have just slapped the name Battlestar on the title and made it another space based show with a new Commander, XO etc...

On the other hand, a lot of fans will like this because it's thought provoking and has characters that have complexity. The writing is a cut above most of tv. At the end of the day isn't your standard fare bubblegum sci-fi that the "Syfy Channel" revels in. The show seems to be interested in commenting on society and dealing with the implications of technology that BSG never reallyl examined beyond the simple premise that the Cylons came back to kick our asses. The show is also dark and doesn't shy away from making our protaganists go through bad things. It's not as dark as Galactica, but more so than the average show.

Overall, I doubt Caprica will surpass BSG. I don't think it's really meant to. I think it's meant to be it's own type of show and I think once fans accept that it'll be fun for them to watch.
Old March 17 2009, 08:11 AM   #6
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I think it will be pretty good but I predict cancellation after 1 season.
Old March 17 2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Zod
Commander

I am disgusted with this network and the direction they are taking it but hopeful that Caprica will be interesting. By the time it starts there will be Caprica, and SG:U and what? All reality TV and wrestling and now even game shows? Maybe we need a new Sci Fi network for these shows to thrive because if I didn't know what I was looking for I wouldn't channel surf to this network anymore. Not many Sci Fi fans that I know would either, so they are messing with their core audience.

With the name change I guess though we are not considered the core audience anymore. They are going for the kids I guess.
Old March 17 2009, 10:30 AM   #8
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

I'm really curious about Caprica and looking forward to it. I think it will probably be good, maybe even great. I think it's very good they're clearly setting it apart from nuBSG on some level and giving it room to breathe.

I am a little concerned as to whether or not it will survive, however. nuBSG's ratings were falling right from the start. And I doubt this will be starting on as high a level as the Mini series. But hope dies last.
Old March 17 2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
I am a little concerned as to whether or not it will survive, however. nuBSG's ratings were falling right from the start. And I doubt this will be starting on as high a level as the Mini series. But hope dies last.
I feel the same way, but, I know how we criticise them (often with justification) but the channel execs can't be complete idiots, right? They must already have some idea of what they're doing with Caprica, surely?

Personally, if it weren't for the fact I'm so excited for "Daybreak Part 2", I'd be champing at the bit over Caprica. Much as I love Battlestar and scifi action shows in general, I think there's a serious niche to be filled with a proper scifi drama series set in civilian life. I really hope Caprica is it, because then it can only complement a series and universe that I'm already in love with.
Old March 17 2009, 11:28 AM   #10
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

* I believe that will be like the lastest episodes of Galactica. Good, but boring.
Old March 17 2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I am cautiously optimistic after reading Fury's post.

Particularly:

The show seems to be interested in commenting on society and dealing with the implications of technology that BSG never reallyl examined beyond the simple premise that the Cylons came back to kick our asses.
Considering this is what I've been whinging on about, I have little choice.
Old March 17 2009, 11:42 AM   #12
cultcross
Say my name...

CaptainHarlock wrote: View Post
Good, but boring.
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
Do you mean good but not action-packed?

I'll be very interested to see Caprica. It sounds more character, concept based Sci-Fi with the advantage of having backstory and so on set up from BSG, without the previous series stepping on its toes particularly, as it was completely different.
I really hope they take this in new and intersting directions, and don't fall for introducing sexy female cylons by episode 5 to keep the ratings up.
Old March 17 2009, 11:51 AM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

From the little I've seen, I'm not very excited. However, good scifi is hard to come by these days, so I'll definitely give it a shot.
Old March 17 2009, 01:41 PM   #14
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

Well, I mainly wonder how Caprica's story will fit in with what has been established by BSG:

Old March 17 2009, 02:03 PM   #15
Fury
Captain

Cid Highwind wrote: View Post
Well, I mainly wonder how Caprica's story will fit in with what has been established by BSG:

Based on the script I read, the first spoiler is not accurate.