Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 25 2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Write Your Own Coda

Lots of us who were disappointed by the ending were particularly galled by the coda. I know I was. (And did anybody catch the fact that Hera will not live very long? The skeletal remains were of a "young woman." Sorry, kiddo.) So I decided to try to think of a more satisfying way to bring Galactica forward and to a close. Here are the two I came up with, the first playing off the "there were already primitive humans here when the Colonials arrived" angle:

EXT. TIME SQUARE

We see, from the rear, a long-haired man in a white suit looking up. We pan back to see that he is looking at a large electronic billboard which says:

GEICO--So Easy, A Frakking Caveman Could Do It

REVERSE ANGLE ON MAN

Showing that he has the distinctively heavy features of a Neanderthal.

MAN: That is so fucking condescending.

Alternately, had the coda flashed forward just another few hundred years:

INT. FUTURISTIC APARTMENT

We see a small robot holding a laser weapon and standing over the charred and smoking corpse of a rather portly gentleman in white spaceman togs.

ROBOT: Bidibidibidi, bidibidibidi. Viva la revolucion, Buck.
Old March 25 2009, 03:33 AM   #2
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Re: Write Your Own Coda

It was great as is I think, though the robot montage could have been shortened up.. the sillier looking ones were not needed.
Old March 25 2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Gregsmack
Captain

My coda would be:

Adama on the hill next to Roslin's grave, fade to black....... roll credits, the end.
Old March 25 2009, 03:40 AM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

No coda! No coda! I want Adama at Laura's grave to be the final fade-out!

The scenes with Six and Baltar and the Agathon family should take place before the Adama scene.

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
It was great as is I think, though the robot montage could have been shortened up.. the sillier looking ones were not needed.
They were all silly looking! I refuse to acknowledge robots until they look like Sam Anders.
Old March 25 2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
No coda! No coda! I want Adama at Laura's grave to be the final fade-out!

The scenes with Six and Baltar and the Agathon family should take place before the Adama scene.
They did, didn't they? After Adama on the hilltop it went to Hera frolicking and the "150,000 years later" shot.

I would've either: (a) just panned over the robots on TV, to a billboard, then caught the two walking down the street or (b) while having them walk through Time Square just showed the abundance of technology -- people texting, on their phones, playing with their iPods, etc.

Actually, on second viewing the coda wasn't to bad. It's really the robot montage that makes me go "eh" the rest of it I was okay with. Even if I truly feel Adama on the hilltop was the perfect ending.

-nobody
Old March 25 2009, 03:52 AM   #6
What's his face
Rear Admiral

They should've replaced the silly dancing robots (which were really out of place just 2 minutes after we learn of the origin of the frikkin human race and that one of the main characters is god) and replaced them with clips of robot arms you see in factories, etc.

That or fade to a laboratory somewhere on New Earth where a bunch of scientists are working on a prototype cylon.
Old March 25 2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Aragorn
Admiral

Go ahead and show all the stuff from 150,000 years in the future, but instead of head Baltar and head Six, have someone recite "There are those who believe that life here began out there..."
Old March 25 2009, 03:55 AM   #8
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

What's his face wrote: View Post
...and that one of the main characters is god)
Who?
Old March 25 2009, 04:01 AM   #9
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

It should be noted that the final shot of Head six walking through times square was planned to be the final shot since season 1
Old March 25 2009, 04:28 AM   #10
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
What's his face wrote: View Post
...and that one of the main characters is god)
Who?
Well, an instrument of God. I was referring to Kara.
Old March 25 2009, 04:52 AM   #11
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

-No X-Years later notice
-Pull out from six smiling/talking at a baby in a stroller.
-Six slowly walking through the street. Maybe looks at a toy in a window or a billboard.
-She takes in the culture for a long while to establish the setting.
-Later, Baltar walks down the other side of the road.
-They hold a gaze until they pass each other. After they pass, Six grins.
-No diaglogue. Pull out to Time Square. Cue Hendrix
-credits
Old March 25 2009, 07:20 PM   #12
MicahBrack
Lieutenant Commander

OK, here ya go:

Head Six: At a scientific conference this week at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, the startling announcement was made that archaeologists believe they have found fossilized remains of young woman who may actually be "mitochondrial Eve." Mitochondrial Eve is the name scientists have given to the most recent common ancestor for all human beings now living on Earth. She lived in what is now Tanzania. Over 150,000 years ago.

Head Baltar: Along with her Cylon mother - and human father.

(Head Six looks around)

Head Six: It's astonishing. The Kobol-evolved human capacity for genetic memory might have become latent when they interbred with the native humans, but after tens of thousands of years it actually managed to resurface. It started with the Greeks when they unconsciously but perfectly recreated the Colonial religion.

Head Baltar: Well, I wouldn't say perfectly.

Head Six: Lords of Kobol, Gods of Olympus. No matter the exact phrases they used, it was still the same thing. The subconscious racial memories of Colonial society seeped into their conscious minds from humanity's collective unconscious. Since then, the cascade's continued. Over the centuries, fragments of Colonial ideas and concepts leaked into the minds of a multitude of people.

(Head Baltar smiles)

Head Baltar: And eventually, those fragments coalesced into the complete reconstruction of Colonial society.

Head Six: Because of their genetic memory, virtually every cultural aspect of Colonial society has reemerged. These people don't even know it, but from architecture and engineering to language and fashion, they live in a near perfect replication of the society of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol, an ostensibly alien civilization...(Head Six pauses to collect her thoughts)...that existed more than 150,000 years ago. In terms of aesthetics, their culture is identical.

Head Baltar: Yes, yes. All of this has happened before. But the question remains, "Does all of this have to happen again?"

Head Six: This time I bet no.

Head Baltar: Huh! You just pointed it out. The cycle of human self-destruction and rebirth is literally encoded in their DNA. Besides, I've never known you to play the optimist. Why the sudden change of heart?

Head Six: Mathematics. Law of averages. Let a complex system repeat itself long enough and eventually something surprising might occur. That too is in God's Plan.

Head Baltar: You know it doesn't like that name. In any case, it would have required mankind in all its flaws to have learned from its mistakes.

Head Six: Stranger things have happened.

(Head Baltar looks around at people)

Head Baltar: You're right, it IS astonishing. Humanity goes about its way completely ignorant to the fact that at least partially..life here...

(Head Baltar looks at the sky)

Head Baltar:...began out there.

(Head Baltar and Head Six look at each other and smile)

(They then both walk away with their arms interlocked while Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower" plays in the background.)

Last edited by MicahBrack; March 25 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old March 25 2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Koinek
Vice Admiral

I think I would have shown the last of the colonials being killed by the natives and/or dying out due to disease/famine (special points if it's Lee Adama dying on screen praying for an antibiotic). Then a native stumbles upon the remaining raptors and starts hitting buttons...fade to black.
Old March 25 2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I didn't think the robot montage needed to be shorter... i thought it needed to be longer with more varied looking robots. Throw in metal arms spinning, prosthetics, some cutesy ones, some more advanced ones, terminator-esque metal skeletons, IBM deep blue beating Kasparov in chess, etc etcetc. They were all too cutesy.
Old March 25 2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Seriously? Frak, I intended this to be a joke thread but okay: the robot montage needed to be presented entirely as a news story, on the tv or the huge screens in Time Square. And yes, some assembly line robots and Deep Blue would have been nice, too.