Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 3 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Extrocomp
Captain

TV order vs DVD order

Almost all TV shows are released on DVD in the same order that they were shown on TV. The only exceptions I can think of are Firefly and Star Trek TOS Remastered. Are there any other shows where the DVD order is different from the TV order?
Old April 3 2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: TV order vs DVD order

^I'm fairly certain Babylon 5 and the spin-off Crusade had different ordering.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Kirkman1987
Commodore

The Prisoner dvds place the episodes in a fan produced proper chronological order, that varies from original order.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Extrocomp
Captain

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^I'm fairly certain Babylon 5 and the spin-off Crusade had different ordering.
You're wrong, the DVD order is the same as the original broadcast order for both series. I checked Wikipedia to see the broadcast order and Amazon.ca to see the DVD order.
Old April 3 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Hermiod
Admiral

^See the Wikipedia article here.

While the DVDs and the television airings may follow the same order, that order is incorrect and there are some significant continuity errors created by this, such as a temporary protection against the virus being used before it was created and the Apocalypse Box warning Gideon not to trust Galen after Galen had already betrayed Gideon.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 02:29 PM   #6
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
Are there any other shows where the DVD order is different from the TV order?
There are some flat out screw ups on the Dukes of Hazard DVDs. I can't remember now which season it was now, but some episodes that contain the character "Hughie Hogg" are completely out of order as they were originally shown. In fact I don't think they even got them in the right season, let alone the right order within a season.

In the TV run, there was a specific episode that originally introduced the character. But in the DVD sets, they replaced that intro episode with a later episode involving the character. Then much later on in the DVD releases, like in the next season I'm thinking, we get the original intro episode.
Old April 3 2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Mistral
Vice Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
There are some flat out screw ups on the Dukes of Hazard DVDs. I can't remember now which season it was now, but some episodes that contain the character "Hughie Hogg" are completely out of order as they were originally shown. In fact I don't think they even got them in the right season, let alone the right order within a season.

In the TV run, there was a specific episode that originally introduced the character. But in the DVD sets, they replaced that intro episode with a later episode involving the character. Then much later on in the DVD releases, like in the next season I'm thinking, we get the original intro episode.
You paid money for The Dukes of Hazzard on dvd?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 01:15 AM   #8
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

Almost all TV shows are released on DVD in the same order that they were shown on TV. The only exceptions I can think of are Firefly and Star Trek TOS Remastered. Are there any other shows where the DVD order is different from the TV order?

Nope, remasters are in the right order as far as the order that the were originally released when TOS first aired..
CaptainHawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 03:19 AM   #9
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

I seem to recall reading that the DVDs for the "Batman" animated series are in production order instead of airing order, save for two-parters which I think were occasionally produced out of order but aired together.
Old April 4 2009, 06:57 AM   #10
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

the Futurama dvds.
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 08:19 AM   #11
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
The Prisoner dvds place the episodes in a fan produced proper chronological order, that varies from original order.
Really? How interesting... They don't in this country. In fact, every video and DVD release of The Prisoner has always been in the original screening order. Out of interest, what order are your DVDs in?

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 11:46 AM   #12
chrisspringob
Commodore

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^See the Wikipedia article here.

While the DVDs and the television airings may follow the same order, that order is incorrect and there are some significant continuity errors created by this, such as a temporary protection against the virus being used before it was created and the Apocalypse Box warning Gideon not to trust Galen after Galen had already betrayed Gideon.
Yes, but there is no "correct" order for Crusade which manages to eliminate all the discontinuities. There's a JMS-preferred order, but it has more continuity problems than the TV broadcast order.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 11:49 AM   #13
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Mistral wrote: View Post
You paid money for The Dukes of Hazzard on dvd?
Yes.

I love that show.
Old April 5 2009, 01:45 AM   #14
Extrocomp
Captain

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
Really? How interesting... They don't in this country. In fact, every video and DVD release of The Prisoner has always been in the original screening order. Out of interest, what order are your DVDs in?
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/prod...id=1238891495/

This is the episode arrangement of The Prisoner Region 1 DVD set. It is not in broadcast order. Are your DVDs Region 2? I can't find any place on the internet that shows episode arrangement for The Prisoner UK Region 2 DVDs to confirm that it's different.
Old April 5 2009, 02:47 AM   #15
Harvey
Admiral

Homicide: Life on the Street has been re-arranged into the producer's intended order, which is a damned good thing, because it would be a confusing mess if it was presented in the original order. I don't know how people made it through originally.

It's a shame that the order of the Babylon 5 DVDs hasn't been updated to reflect the Lurker's Guide order. You'd think that Warner Bros. could bother to do at least that. Surprisingly, it's not as glaring as Homicide would be, but it's still a little annoying.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote