Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 20 2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Dingo
Captain

Re: Lower Decks Fanfic Question(s)

Here's a sample of my work:

Mess Hall, 0830 hours: Tal Celes sat down at the table with Billy Telfer at breakfast that morning. “So how’ve things been with Seven lately?” Billy asked

“She’s been a little better with me at work.” Celes replied.

"That’s good to hear.” Billy said.

“It’s great she’s not breathing down my neck as much.” Celes added as a dark haired lieutenant with a lean swimmer’s build wearing the blue of the science department carrying a tray with fried eggs and smoked slices of meat together with a steaming cup of tea.

“Mind if I sit down?” an Australian accented voice sounded.

“Of course, Lieutenant.” Billy said.

"Oh for Christ’s sake, Billy. Knock off the ranks and the sodding lot when we’re off duty mate.” The Australian replied.

“Ok Henry.” Billy said.

“Better.” The Aussie replied.

“So how are things?” Celes asked.

“Breakfast actually looks appetizing right now.” Henry Kano replied as he dug into his meal.

“You actually like that stuff?” Billy said.

"Not quite steak and eggs from back home, but in this quadrant I’ll take it.” Henry replied as he dug in.

“You do realize that that stuff probably is gonna wind up clogging your arteries.” Billy replied.

“I stay in shape. And besides it’s not often that Neelix serves anything like this.” Henry replied, “And I wasn’t about to go for wasting replicator rations when a seemingly acceptable substitute is available.”

“Wasn’t that because you used most of them over the last two weeks?” Tal Celes added with a smile, “And you only have two of them left for the rest of the month?”

“Hey. It was that or eating some of Neelix’s more...interesting menu items.” Henry replied, between bites and a swallow of tea to wash them down, “And a steady diet of leola root stew. I really had no desire to munch down on that particular steady diet. Especially that mystery casserole he made three nights ago.”

“Ugh. Don’t remind me.” Tal groaned, “It was enough to induce Billy to have a legitimate reason to visit Sickbay.”

“Hey!” Billy remarked as both Henry and Tal laughed at his expense, “For your information, I’m no longer a hypochondriac!”

“I’m personally glad I replicated myself a nice steak, some sauteed onions and french fries for that night.” Henry said.

“I used my replicator ration that night too. For some hasperat.” Tal replied.

“Too spicy for me personally.” Henry replied.

“Don’t remind me of the time you shared some with Henry, Tal.” Billy replied, “Let’s just say he was smelly and noisy company in the lab. Samantha almost threw him out.”

“How was I supposed to know traditional Bajoran seasoning for hasperat causes serious gastrointestinal discomfort for one in every three hundred humans?” Henry replied.

“Aren’t Search and Rescue Operatives trained in medical techniques?” Billy countered.

“My primary specialty is security.” Henry replied, “I was part of the Extraction Flight of the 172nd Search and Rescue Squadron. I can stabilize patients and get them ready for transport, but I’m not a medical examiner or physician. That’s the job for the blokes from the Evaluation Flight.”

“Didn’t you cross train with the Evaluation Flight?” Billy asked.

“Yes. But I’m no finished physician. I’ve only got Level III Emergency Medical Certification.” Henry replied, “Most SAR operatives, save the Evaluation blokes have a Level II Certification. Evaluation has to have a Level III or higher.” Henry replied.

“Level III’s about the level of a civilian paramedic. Do you have a higher Certification than Ensign Paris?” Tal asked.

“No. Ensign Paris has a Level IV Certification.” Billy said.

“That’s what again?” Tal asked.

“About the same level as a civilian physician’s assistant or a nurse.” Billy asked.

“And how do you know Ensign Paris’ Emergency Medical Certification?” Tal asked.

“Let’s say I after I sprained my ankle when I fell out of Jeffries Tube 21 he treated me. However I wasn’t about to be reassured when he scanned me for complications. He tried reassuring me by saying he had a Level IV Emergency Medical Certification.” Billy replied.

“And that didn’t reassure you?” Henry replied.

“I sort of wanted a Level V Certified individual or higher treating my ankle.” Billy said.

“That’s a qualified emergency room physician.” Henry replied.

“What’s wrong with demanding the highest quality care possible?” Billy asked.

Tal nearly choked on her raktajino when she chuckled in mid sip. She started coughing as Henry administered a hearty pat on the back until she was able to breath normally.

When Tal regained her composure somewhat she remarked, “You don’t need a surgeon to fix a broken ankle.”

“I believe that was before we visited that Class T cluster.” Billy said, “I’m better now.”

“I do recall you thought you had some rare Delta Quadrant bug yesterday when we were working in the lab.” Henry replied.

“I was running a fever.” Billy said.

“Considering I saw you scanning yourself with a medical tricorder, pilfered from my Level III Medkit, I might add...” Henry replied.

“I was only borrowing it.” Billy protested.

“Sounds like someone should be a little more mindful of their gear.” Tal teased.

“Considering that one of the Borg children made off with your phase modulator in Astrometrics last week, you’re one to talk.” Henry replied.

“Don’t remind me. Seven gave me a very stern talking to about that. Especially when one of the secondary consoles decided to have a malfunction and I needed my phase modulator.” Tal replied.

Henry finished his meal and washed it down with the last of his tea, “I’ve gotta get moving. Me and three of my guys have our annual Level III Re-certification.”

Henry took his tray to the replicator for recycling before heading out of the Mess Hall.

“And how is breakfast this morning?” Neelix said as he approached their table.

“You just missed Lieutenant Kano. He gave breakfast a very enthusiastic two thumbs up.” Billy replied.

"You do a fair raktajino too.” Tal replied.

“I’m glad you approve.” Neelix replied.

“Where did you find the beans for it?” Tal asked.

“I replicated a quantity of them for a Klingon Heritage Day shortly after Lieutenant Torres had that shuttle accident early this year.” Neelix said, “And there were some seeds that we picked up from our last away mission. I’m gonna attempt to see if they’ll be an acceptable substitute. I’ve already started growing the in the airponics bay.”

“Oh great.” Billy groaned.

“What?” Neelix joked.

“Tal’s raktajino habit is gonna rear its head, again.” Billy groaned.

“Oh, I’m not aware that Crewman Celes has a raktajino habit.” Neelix said.

“She used to have one back when we were in the Alpha Quadrant. When we were on replicator rations she could only get raktajino occasionally and not long enough to form a habit.” Billy said.

Tal Celes rolled her eyes, “I have to get to Astrometrics. After a refill of course.”

"Happy to oblige.” Neelix said and refilled Tal’s half-way full cup before she headed out of the room.

Last edited by Dingo; March 20 2009 at 10:27 AM.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 10:10 AM   #17
Dingo
Captain

Re: Lower Decks Fanfic Question(s)

Damn double post...
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote