Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 20 2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Ethros
Vice Admiral

new South Park- "The Coon"

Anyone watch the latest new South Park ep- "The Coon"?

Just watched it myself, bloody hilarious. A great parody of The Dark Knight / Watchmen style superheroes.
The gravelly voices were great, and Cartman's moving around in the police office- "Now I'm over here"
And having Professor Chaos in an episode is never a bad thing

But who was Mysterion? ha, the joke is he could have been anyone. I like to think it was Kenny
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: new South Park- "The Coon"

I got a couple of chuckles out of it, but overall I thought this was a very mediocre episode. I saw what they were going for, but just didn't connect with it.
Old March 20 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
I got a couple of chuckles out of it, but overall I thought this was a very mediocre episode. I saw what they were going for, but just didn't connect with it.
Yep. SP is very much hit or miss these days. Maybe one in five episodes has something to laugh at.
Old March 20 2009, 05:15 PM   #4
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I thought it was really funny...I'll throw this one on every once in awhile the way I do with Awesome-O and some of my other favorites.
Old March 20 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
ParticleMan
Fleet Captain

Ethros wrote: View Post

Just watched it myself, bloody hilarious. A great parody of The Dark Knight / Watchmen style superheroes.
The gravelly voices were great, and Cartman's moving around in the police office- "Now I'm over here"

But who was Mysterion? ha, the joke is he could have been anyone. I like to think it was Kenny
It was an OK episode. I chuckled a bit at the "superhero movie" camera angles when Cartman goes to the mini storage place to confront Professor Chaos. I kinda had a feeling that either Mysterion wouldn't be unmasked or that we wouldn't see it. But they chose to make him one of the background classroom characters...someone that everyone in the town would know but that we viewers wouldn't since the show doesn't focus on the character.
ParticleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

I thought it was good but not a classic. The superhero stuff was funny, and I did like the "battle". I'm a little pissed we didn't actually learn who Mysterion was though!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 05:24 PM   #7
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

ParticleMan wrote: View Post

It was an OK episode. I chuckled a bit at the "superhero movie" camera angles when Cartman goes to the mini storage place to confront Professor Chaos. I kinda had a feeling that either Mysterion wouldn't be unmasked or that we wouldn't see it. But they chose to make him one of the background classroom characters...someone that everyone in the town would know but that we viewers wouldn't since the show doesn't focus on the character.
It still could have been Stan/Kyle or anyone else. He never spoke in his normal voice and the character design is fair non-de-script on the show. In fact, it is one of the people that Cartman guesses since Cartman comments on that.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

I thought it was a good episode, I loved the Dark Knight and Watchmen references.

I also like how everyone knew who Mysterion was when he was revealed but they didn't show enough features for the audience to identify him. The audience not knowing who it was made me think of the Justice League episode where the Flash and Lex Luthor switch bodies and Luthor has no idea who the Flash is when he takes a peak under the mask.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Ethros
Vice Admiral

TheBrew wrote: View Post
It still could have been Stan/Kyle or anyone else. He never spoke in his normal voice and the character design is fair non-de-script on the show. In fact, it is one of the people that Cartman guesses since Cartman comments on that.
Well it couldn't be Kyle as he had a scene with him in his bedroom
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 07:26 PM   #10
ITL
Vice Admiral

Great episode

I loved Mysterion's lispy, gravelly voice. Spot-on accuracy.
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 08:50 PM   #11
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I thought Mysterion was pretty clearly Clyde. Stan or Kenny I think wouldn't have been able to pass up the opportunity to laugh at Cartman's ridiculous getup.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Lowdarzz
Captain

A good episode. My biggest laugh came when Cartman kept moving around the police station and had to tell them where he was each time.

This season has definately started out much stronger than the previous one. Mickey's rampage last week was a hoot.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 12:20 AM   #13
Cky
Captain

I'd like think Mysterion was Kenny, simply because South Park have brought in Kenny without his hood a few times and nobody really notices, The Jeffersons is the best example of this, you never find out it's him until after he's died, after that it's too late and you never see his face again.

Although, I don't think it was any kid, just a joke from the South Park guys as all the kids have the same faces.
Old March 21 2009, 01:13 AM   #14
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

TheBrew wrote: View Post
Well it couldn't be Kyle as he had a scene with him in his bedroom
Yeah that scene makes me think that Mysterion was Stan.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 03:26 AM   #15
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Just aired here in Canada... loved it. Very timely, considering Watchmen came out only two weeks ago -- timelier than doing an Indiana Jones-themed episode in October, anyway (although I liked that episode too).

I thought it was pretty funny. Cartman becomes a superhero, but of course fighting for truth and justice comes second to getting attention and doing away with the competition. I loved the gravelly voices, moving around in the police station, and the list of the Coon's real identity suspects (Bruce Vilanch and Harvey Fierstein ), among other things.

I'm inclined to think that Mysterion was Clyde. Being out all night fighting crime might explain why he was sleeping in class.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote