Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 69 35.03%
Above Average 59 29.95%
Average 47 23.86%
Below Average 13 6.60%
Poor 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14 2009, 07:31 PM   #121
Magic_Al
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

I'm sure the flashbacks serve a very important purpose, and that is following up on the previous flashback Roslin had of glimpsing Baltar with a blonde woman on Caprica. Baltar's role in the destruction of the Colonies will finally be exposed. Nobody thought the show was going to let that go, did they?
Old March 14 2009, 07:32 PM   #122
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

Oh gods, Baltars' dad... "she steals from me..." - the cliche of every geriatric on T.V.
Old March 14 2009, 07:33 PM   #123
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Carlito wrote: View Post
How comer this thread is always dominated by the same three people who voted "average" when the poll shows more people voted "above average" and even MORE people voted "excellent"?
Don't you know anything about the internet? The more you hate something, the more time you spend thinking and posting about it than even the biggest fans. The biggest BSG hater here, who likes to keep watching anyway just to bitch about how right he is, probably wrote the longest posting I've ever seen here in an episode thread a while back.
I don't think that's the situation in this case... rating an episode as average certainly doesn't signify that it's bad. Hell, I've voted excellent every other time, and hit this one with an average.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 14 2009, 07:34 PM   #124
Harvey
Admiral

Magic_Al wrote: View Post
I'm sure the flashbacks serve a very important purpose, and that is following up on the previous flashback Roslin had of glimpsing Baltar with a blonde woman on Caprica. Baltar's role in the destruction of the Colonies will finally be exposed. Nobody thought the show was going to let that go, did they?
You think so? I thought his aquital in "Crossroads," combined with his confession to Roslin in "The Hub" put that storyline to rest. But I could be wrong. If they're looking to redeem the character, it might be time for him to fully confess his sins.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 14 2009, 07:36 PM   #125
Kchunda
Commander

Excellent. Excellent set-up episode. Me and the soon-to-be wife have a ton of questions just like everyone else.

I have never looked so forward to a series finale ever. Don't remember the finale for M*A*S*H, Family Ties or the Cosby Show, liked TNG enough, thought DS9 was satisfying and Red Dwarf was entertaining, didn't care for Voyager, REALLY didn't care for ENT. . . loved the ending of Home Movies, will probably tear up for the end of the Simpsons. . .

Am very thankful that I got a chance to experience this show. . . especially glad that I quit my years of lurking and signed up (wow - six years ago?!) so that I could experience this show with everyone on this here BBS. Cheers!

BTW. . . MeanJoePhaser, "...who the frak builds a fat robot?"
Old March 14 2009, 07:43 PM   #126
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
I do have to wonder where Adama managed to score that convenient roll of gaffer's tape.
Well no doubt a knucke dragger will go to secure something and find his gaffer tape missing.

Then again you'd think by this point all gaffer tape would of been used to hold the Galatica together

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old March 14 2009, 07:54 PM   #127
steveman
Fleet Captain

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Whether it is due to them being cut off of later episodes or the writers, for whatever reason, deciding they didn't pan out I don't know but the show in my opinion is just not well structured.
Are you just talking about season four, in particular? Or the entire series? Specify. Because if you're just talking about season four, you might have an argument; if you're talking about the series, as a whole, not so much.

I know people might be growing tired of me constantly bringing up Lost but it is the first thing that comes to mind when needing to provide an example of what I'm talking about when it comes to handling set-up in an interesting effective manner. Its finales usually are comprised of three episodes--one one hour episode followed the next week by a two hour episode. Lost builds from the previous episode and consistently holds the viewers attention. Heck, you can even look back to season one of BSG for another example. Compare the tightly written and focused interesting arc of the show's freshman year to what we've gotten last year or this year.
BSG, season one: 13 episodes. BSG, seasons two-four: 19-21 episodes.

I think that should make it clear why season one appeared to be so much more tightly written. Serialized dramas work best with shorter season counts. Just look at The Sopranos or Dexter. It's a shame BSG wasn't able to do that.

And the frequency with which you've made your references to Lost has simply sapped their effectiveness. Sorry. Not trying to be mean. Just trying to be honest.

Trust me, I'm not that hard to please and if BSG was knocking my socks off most weeks I would go on and on about everything I enjoyed about it. Instead, most weeks lately I struggle to find something I liked about it. Sadly its weaknesses are more pronounced.
Nothing wrong with you voicing your displeasure with the show. You certainly don't need to defend your right to criticize it. Maybe next week will help win you over; maybe it won't. But to each their own.
Old March 14 2009, 08:11 PM   #128
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

steveman wrote: View Post
Whether it is due to them being cut off of later episodes or the writers, for whatever reason, deciding they didn't pan out I don't know but the show in my opinion is just not well structured.
Are you just talking about season four, in particular?
Mainly season four.
BSG, season one: 13 episodes. BSG, seasons two-four: 19-21 episodes.

I think that should make it clear why season one appeared to be so much more tightly written. Serialized dramas work best with shorter season counts.
That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Lost season one had 20+ episodes. Its third season had 20+ episodes as well. Heroes season one had 23 episodes. Primetime dramas of yesteryear like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere for example did long seasons well also. So you can pull it off with a little thinking and the writers generating enough ideas to sustain it which for BSG with as many characters it has shouldn't have been a problem.
And the frequency with which you've made your references to Lost has simply sapped their effectiveness. Sorry. Not trying to be mean. Just trying to be honest.
Like I said in my earlier post--I use it as an example because it best demonstrates what I'm looking for.
Nothing wrong with you voicing your displeasure with the show. You certainly don't need to defend your right to criticize it. Maybe next week will help win you over; maybe it won't. But to each their own.
BSG has pretty much shown it can pull off great finales so I'm not that worried. I'm sure the writers will come through. While it may make some story choices set better with me in hindsight I certainly can't see it making up for a lot of what I have found wrong with the series lately.

Truth be told if I hadn't gotten so engrossed in it in its first year and the first half of its second year I probably would have stopped watching but I have a habit of sticking with a show no matter how far off the rails it goes until the very end if I enjoyed it a great deal for a significant period of time. Plus the mythology actually helped keep me around too.

I will freely admit that my waning interest in most of the characters hasn't helped and I can understand that if someone has a greater interest in them than myself that all these other little issues wouldn't have been so irksome.
Old March 14 2009, 08:37 PM   #129
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

I gave it a poor. I did that cause thats what it was...Someone on page 2 or 3 of this thread mentioned if thats what the Caprica series (all the flashback scenes)is going to be like count me out. They could have done these flashback scenes a couple of episodes ago.
And back 4-5 episodes ago when Anders just blurted out the whole final five reveal and I was bitching that it was lame writing on RDM's part I remember people saying that they didnt have time to "show" the F5 answers or they didnt have the money in the budget to show it rather than cop out and just tell it in 5 minutes...Well that all turned out to be bullshit. I would have much rather had the last 2-3 episodes deal with the F5 stuff than all this padding and fluff we have been getting.
Very poor writing and planning on RDM and his writers part...
I too thought I noticed Baltar say Fucking rather than Fracking to his old man...but I rewound it on the DVR and it sounded like he said fracking with just a hint of fucking...
Its just too bad that they are going to end this show like this with all this lame writing and not answering the questions...And for people saying this show has never been about the answers rather the questions...No way. Its always been about dancing around the answers to the questions that RDM set up cause he didnt know the answers either...
They could have also had the end fight happen an episode or 2 ago and gave up the last 2 or so episodes to show the characters dealing with whatever happens...
Im starting to think that the last hour is going to be Will Riker and De'anna Troi on a holodeck saying end program...
Old March 14 2009, 08:55 PM   #130
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
That scene kinda had me cracking up. You could see Baltar's brain trying to decide whether or not to cross the line...
My favorite moment of the episode by far.

Above average episode.
Old March 14 2009, 09:15 PM   #131
Rii
Rear Admiral

Above Average.

Loved, loved, LOVED the flashbacks, I almost wish they'd been integrated into the series as a regular theme similar to Lost, certainly there's a similar before/after dichotomy to be exploited there. Adama's speech and the events surrounding it weren't nearly as cringeworthy as I'd been expecting from the promo, it all held together rather well, EJO's voice excepted.
Old March 14 2009, 09:26 PM   #132
steveman
Fleet Captain

steveman wrote: View Post
Are you just talking about season four, in particular?
Mainly season four.
Then I'm inclined to agree with you. This season has felt a little meandering at times; better management of all those story threads that have composed it would've helped remedy the problem. My issue has simply been with when and how story threads have been picked up and addressed. In my opinion, the mid-season cliffhanger of finding Earth really threw off this season's balance. The writing changed drastically from 4.0 to 4.5 and I'm not necessarily sure it was in the best interest of the show for finding Earth to have happened when it did (even though it was shocking).

That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Lost season one had 20+ episodes. Its third season had 20+ episodes as well. Heroes season one had 23 episodes. Primetime dramas of yesteryear like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere for example did long seasons well also. So you can pull it off with a little thinking and the writers generating enough ideas to sustain it which for BSG with as many characters it has shouldn't have been a problem.
Yes, you can do it. But just because Lost, Heroes, or shows of yesteryear could make the long seasons work doesn't necessarily mean that BSG should've been expected to. Maybe the storytelling on BSG is simply more conducive to shorter season counts. I, for one, can't imagine Dexter or The Sopranos (which rivals BSG in its amount of characters) working with 20+ episode seasons. It is a case-by-case basis.

Like I said in my earlier post--I use it as an example because it best demonstrates what I'm looking for.
Fair enough.

BSG has pretty much shown it can pull off great finales so I'm not that worried. I'm sure the writers will come through. While it may make some story choices set better with me in hindsight I certainly can't see it making up for a lot of what I have found wrong with the series lately.

Truth be told if I hadn't gotten so engrossed in it in its first year and the first half of its second year I probably would have stopped watching but I have a habit of sticking with a show no matter how far off the rails it goes until the very end if I enjoyed it a great deal for a significant period of time. Plus the mythology actually helped keep me around too.

I will freely admit that my waning interest in most of the characters hasn't helped and I can understand that if someone has a greater interest in them than myself that all these other little issues wouldn't have been so irksome.
For its fans, BSG has been an incredibly engrossing show. Even if I had found myself growing dissatisfied with it, I know I would've stuck around, too. And my interest in the characters has never really waned, so their stories have certainly kept me on-board. Let's just hope we get a great finale. As you said, BSG usually nails finales, so let's hope this time is no different.
Old March 14 2009, 09:52 PM   #133
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

It is difficult to rate an episode like this where it is all set-up, but my feeling was that this episode was Above Average. It should manage to work better once the DVDs come out and we can watch Parts 1 & 2 in one go as it was intended.

I've skimmed most of the thread so I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up as a possibility, but do you think that the flashbacks will end with the characters going to the opera? Adama doesn't seem like the sort of guy who would like going to the opera so that explains his objection about spending an hour some place at the beginning, Roslin could go there on her date, Baltar could invite Six to the opera, Kara and Lee could end up going there with Zack, and suddenly all six characters are at the Opera House.

It could happen.
Old March 14 2009, 09:57 PM   #134
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
And there's this remarkably questionable line: "This is likely to be a one-way trip... So don't volunteer out of emotion or sentiment." Okay, I guess Adama wants them to volunteer for a suicide mission based on logic and sensibility.
"Likely to be" != "is".

And some people -- people with character -- are willing to take an enormous risk to do the right thing.

I'm sorry for you that you don't get that.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
Old March 14 2009, 10:18 PM   #135
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
And there's this remarkably questionable line: "This is likely to be a one-way trip... So don't volunteer out of emotion or sentiment."
There really is not another argument to be made for flying a suicide mission involving great numbers of people in order to rescue a single child that is separable from "emotion or sentiment," is there?

There can't be that many people in the fleet or aboard Galactica who are in on or buy the "Hera is the future of the human race" argument or the child's life would not have been what it apparently has been up to now - about as normal, unnoticed and unrestricted as is probably possible under the circumstances.