Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 69 35.03%
Above Average 59 29.95%
Average 47 23.86%
Below Average 13 6.60%
Poor 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 15 2009, 03:58 AM   #151
Gregsmack
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

^ Me too.

I'm not quite sure what people mean when they say this series lacks narrative coherency, but to each their own. I'm a very critical guy and even I'm satisfied with the show, so that's enough for me.
Old March 15 2009, 04:07 AM   #152
TEH BABA
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post
Lost excels at story structure and in building an incredibly complex and surprisingly coherent narrative... which are BSG's weaknesses.
Yes, as far as pure form--the timing of revelations, the impressive interconnected nature of the series where pieces connect to other pieces seamlessly, the painful almost obsessive attention to details, the way flashbacks and flashforwards are interwoven and how they are placed strategically, how situations and paths crossing could seem contrived come off organic and plausibly, the careful timing of introduction of new pieces and characters being folded into the narrative flow at just the moment cueing you to their forthcoming importance, the parallel structure, the way one can step back and from a distance observe and appreciate the way threads come together and fit--no show can top Lost.

I agree BSG is not very well plotted and the format is not as sharp.
At the same time, Lost has (with rare exception) continually failed to build any sort of meaningful relationships or drama between the characters... which is BSG's strength.
While the shows are similar, yes BSG is far more character-driven. I don't think anyone will quarrel with that. In fact, at times it comes across as academic character studies which isn't always that entertaining.

Lost isn't like that. It tries to balance character and plot more than BSG and at the end of the day I think it favors plot more because the focus on all the mysteries and you also have the characters doing a lot of reacting, investigating, being action figures in this big action adventure and serving the plot. But that isn't to say Lost is purely plot-driven and can only be enjoyed for the mysteries, revelations, twists, cliffhangers, inventive writing and plot.

I enjoy the characters on Lost quite a bit. With all the attention on the Big Mysteries, the show has done an excellent job creating characters that are well-defined and amazingly with as large of a cast as it has it has also managed to create interesting histories and personalities for most of the them. And despite the fast-paced nature and all the fantastical stuff going on around them, they still find time to sneak a character moment or tie what is happening with the plot to the characters. Is it necessarily as deep as BSG when it comes to the characters? Maybe not.
Both shows are brilliant... neither is perfect.
No show is perfect and I was never arguing Lost was flawless and BSG was a show riddled with endless problems. I was just sharing my opinion about what I look for and my issues with BSG.

I would personally argue that at the end of the day for me I've enjoyed myself more with Lost and have had less complaints especially in the last two and half seasons than with BSG. I understand how others might feel differently but overall Lost has been more consistent, more entertaining and better balanced between character and plot--at least from my perspective.
You so und like sam and razor hybrid.
Old March 15 2009, 11:51 AM   #153
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

It's hard to rate this one since it's the first hour of the a 3 hour finale. On its own it wasn't that great, for the first time since the start of season 4.5 I felt bored at times. So I voted average. Despite my disappointment with this episode I can't wait to see the final episode next week.
Old March 15 2009, 12:35 PM   #154
MPH
Rear Admiral

It was ok I suppose but did we really need backstory on Baltar and Roslin as more important question still need to be answered like who are the head people, what is Kara is her dad Daniel? I have a feeling we are never going to find out as the last episode will be all action.
Old March 15 2009, 12:55 PM   #155
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I haven't read the whole thread, but there were some questions raised by a couple posters about when the flashbacks take place . . .

I don't think they were all to the same timeframe . . . they had a title card "Caprica City, Before the Fall" but they didn't show any "X time units ago" things . . . so the flashbacks could be to just about any timeframe . . .
Old March 15 2009, 02:18 PM   #156
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

backstept wrote: View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but there were some questions raised by a couple posters about when the flashbacks take place . . .

I don't think they were all to the same timeframe . . . they had a title card "Caprica City, Before the Fall" but they didn't show any "X time units ago" things . . . so the flashbacks could be to just about any timeframe . . .
Did some-one say it's about 18 months before the cylon attack?

Probably the one that indicateds that it's well before the Cylon attack was the approach to Roslin to be on President Adar's election campaing (unless the Colonials get them over and done with very quickly

Not sure we evey know at which point Zak Adama died.

But then it can be too far back for Six to start her machinations on the defence computers.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old March 15 2009, 02:35 PM   #157
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I don't expect RDM to make everyone happy with how the series ends, we all have different theories on what we think should happen. I think some of these whiners, need to relax and wait to see how it ends before they start tearing it apart.

Of course we have those with ADD who need thier instant gratification, and space battles or else it is a bad story. If you have been actually paying attention over the years, Galactica has never been about the space battles, it's been about the characters.

It is the same reason people attack Star Trek, somehow over time it's become about the special effects, and space battles. Star Trek was also about the characters and the stories. That is why people still watch the original 40+ years later.

-Chris
Old March 15 2009, 04:20 PM   #158
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Sorry guys, I'm having a senior moment here but when was Tyrol sent to the brig?
Old March 15 2009, 04:22 PM   #159
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^We never actually saw him being sent to the brig, but you can assume it was because he helped Boomer escape.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 15 2009, 04:26 PM   #160
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Thanks for that. I was getting really worried there!!
Old March 15 2009, 04:27 PM   #161
USS Gettysburg
Captain

Sagart wrote: View Post
Sorry guys, I'm having a senior moment here but when was Tyrol sent to the brig?
There's a deleted scene from the episode prior to Daybreak that explains how he got there. (I read that in one of the mainstream recaps, either LA Times or EW.com.) Have to wait for the DVD.
Old March 15 2009, 05:33 PM   #162
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
- The red line. A great moment that not only highlighted the stakes of this mission but showed one last time the cowardice and selfishness of Gaius Baltar.
Indeed, but he was hardly the only person to not volunteer.

I honestly can't think of any reason Baltar would participate in the mission, except maybe out of a feeling of guilt. I also don't know why Roslin should be going, unless it's for moral support. Neither of these two would be likely to be of material value to the mission.

---------------
Old March 15 2009, 06:02 PM   #163
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Poor Number Five, didn't even get any dialogue...
He's just there to make Cavil look even uglier.

Well, the episode was okay. Nothing spectacular, but not horrible, either. I'm just hoping for something more thrilling next week.
Old March 15 2009, 06:13 PM   #164
Gregsmack
Captain

scotthm wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
- The red line. A great moment that not only highlighted the stakes of this mission but showed one last time the cowardice and selfishness of Gaius Baltar.
Indeed, but he was hardly the only person to not volunteer.

I honestly can't think of any reason Baltar would participate in the mission, except maybe out of a feeling of guilt. I also don't know why Roslin should be going, unless it's for moral support. Neither of these two would be likely to be of material value to the mission.

---------------
I only mention it because of his earlier bitchfit with Lee, in which Lee told him to name one time when he did something completely and utterly selfless to help another person. Not sure what he could contribute to the mission, you're right, but any contribution is better than none at all, I guess. Plus, it's not like Hera is nobody. Six has been pretty much beating him over the head about Hera since the first season.
Old March 15 2009, 06:25 PM   #165
Gregsmack
Captain

Does anyone else think that every line for the remainder of the series should be spoken by Tigh? I do.