Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 14 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
ElCap?
Ensign

So the timeline changes when

Nero travels back in time to when Kirk was first born, which was on board the USS kelvin and Nero destroys the ship in hopes of killing Kirk to change the timeline but instead when Nero destroys USS Kelvin, Kirk's parents are killed but Kirk survives and the timeline is changed anyway

So the only way to restore the original canon timeline and stop Nero is to travel back in time to just before the USS Kelvin was destroyed and stop Nero and prevent him from destroying the Kelvin- is this right?
ElCap? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: So the timeline changes when

ElCap? wrote: View Post
So the only way to restore the original canon timeline and stop Nero is to travel back in time to just before the USS Kelvin was destroyed and stop Nero and prevent him from destroying the Kelvin- is this right?
Guess they won't be restoring the "canon" timeline then.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 10:58 PM   #3
ElCap?
Ensign

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Guess they won't be restoring the "canon" timeline then.
Well doesn't Old Spock travel back in time to the 23rd century because he knows the timeline has been changed and he attempts to stop Nero from changing the timeline but does Old Spock even know when and how the timeline has been changed?
ElCap? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

We don't know. I have a feeling Spock will be attempting to do a repair, but we don't know if he's completely succesful.

Have you ever seen "Yesteryear"? Spock repairs the timeline in that TAS episode, and is seemingly successful but, in fact, the timeline is not restored to its exact form. In the original timeline, Young Spock's pet sehlat lived. In the restored timeline, I-chaya died saving Spock from the lematya. He's managed to save his younger self from dying in the desert, his parents marriage, and prevent his mother from dying in a lunar shuttle accident, but the premature death of a pet is declared a timeline change he shall have to live with, for the better good.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 11:20 PM   #5
The Academic
Commander

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, the place that it's farthest from...

Nero travels back in time to when Kirk was first born, which was on board the USS kelvin and Nero destroys the ship in hopes of killing Kirk to change the timeline but instead when Nero destroys USS Kelvin, Kirk's parents are killed but Kirk survives and the timeline is changed anyway

I very much fear that what we know, what we don't know and what we think we know might be three completely different things...
Clark Ashton Smith: The Hashish Eater or The Apocalypse of Evil
The Academic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 11:25 PM   #6
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Personally, I'd argue that the beginning of the film begins in an "alternate" universe from the get go, given how little resemblance the Kelvin bears to either the NX-01 or the 1701.

Perhaps it's just a visual reboot, and the events prior to (and after) Nero's interference would remain unchanged, but given how slavishly that the prior productions emulated TOS's look when they dealt with it's time period, I'd still argue that it's another timeline (technically.)

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd argue that the beginning of the film begins in the Star Trek universe, because of how closely the Kelvin resembles virtually every other "Starfleet" ship we've ever seen - including the NX-01 and the 1701.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 12:12 AM   #8
JuanBolio
Admiral

We don't know the Nero was intent on killing Kirk. He seems to have more of a beef with Spock than anything else. The destruction of the Kelvin might've been incidental.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 12:12 AM   #9
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Clever use of the film title, Dennis.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 12:26 AM   #10
miraclefan
Commodore

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd argue that the beginning of the film begins in an "alternate" universe from the get go, given how little resemblance the Kelvin bears to either the NX-01 or the 1701.

Perhaps it's just a visual reboot, and the events prior to (and after) Nero's interference would remain unchanged, but given how slavishly that the prior productions emulated TOS's look when they dealt with it's time period, I'd still argue that it's another timeline (technically.)
I don't know if you were being ''sarcastic'' but I think the Kelvin is very much a decendent of the NX-Class, it has a Saucer, Nacelle, Deflector dish, plus it's weapons ''pop-out'' like the NX-01's! Oh and Polaris, I like your ''Dr.Stewie'' Avatar!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 12:43 AM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

It would seem the timeline changes with the destruction of the Kelvin and the death of Captain Robau. After all, you kill someone that badass, the ramifications to the timeline are going to be extreme.
Old March 15 2009, 12:57 AM   #12
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

The time line obviously scures off into another tangent when the Kelvin is destroyed, the Star Trek Universe we're aware of (which includes TNG DS9 and VOY etc) still exists but Spock has now disappeared from that particular timeline and universe and exists now instead in an alternate universe created by his own time travelling.

Therefore the new movie is not the same Trek universe we've grown up with but is a completely new one where anything is now possible.

The explanation given for the movie would seem to indicate that whenever time travel has occured in Trek we've been introduced to new timelines and universes. The resulting new timelines have always been kept the same however thanks to our heroes sorting out the problems. So in First Contact the Borg and Ent-E created a new timeline but one that ended up following the same general path. In the new movie Spock has altered the timeline so drastically that there will be no rectifying it so this new timeline will be completely different from the one Spock came from.

Get me?
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 01:04 AM   #13
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Also the question is what causes the change in the technology and ship designs...
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 01:07 AM   #14
The Academic
Commander

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, the place that it's farthest from...

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
The time line obviously scures off into another tangent when the Kelvin is destroyed, the Star Trek Universe we're aware of (which includes TNG DS9 and VOY etc) still exists but Spock has now disappeared from that particular timeline and universe and exists now instead in an alternate universe created by his own time travelling.

Therefore the new movie is not the same Trek universe we've grown up with but is a completely new one where anything is now possible.

The explanation given for the movie would seem to indicate that whenever time travel has occured in Trek we've been introduced to new timelines and universes. The resulting new timelines have always been kept the same however thanks to our heroes sorting out the problems. So in First Contact the Borg and Ent-E created a new timeline but one that ended up following the same general path. In the new movie Spock has altered the timeline so drastically that there will be no rectifying it so this new timeline will be completely different from the one Spock came from.

Get me?
Got you. I've been carrying the same standard into battle for quite a while now...
Clark Ashton Smith: The Hashish Eater or The Apocalypse of Evil
The Academic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2009, 01:16 AM   #15
M
Vice Admiral

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
Also the question is what causes the change in the technology and ship designs...
The changes are only visual. It's a film made in 2009. That's all.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote