IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

TV shows yet to be remade/rebooted...

We're living in the time when it seems so many old and little recalled television programs are being remade and/or rebooted for film or television. It's actually been going on for quite some time, but it seems that for last while we've been inundated with them.

What is there remaining that hasn't yet been proposed or currently in the works that has at least a chance of reaching some audience? And it could be a film or television project. After they've strip mined the '50s and '60s will they move onto the '70s, the '80s and even the '90s (given current audiences' seemingly short attention span)?

Hmm...actually they've already gotten to the '80s by rebooting Transformers, Miami Vice and The A-Team on film. And isn't there a Magnum, P.I. reboot in the works somewhere? Simon & Simon, Moonlighting and Remington Steele can't be far behind...

If they can live-action an animated show like Transformers couldn't someone do the same with the '60s era Space Ghost (fondly remembered by a lot of aging boomers). What about Stingray?

Thoughts anyone?
Old June 25 2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: TV shows yet to be remade/rebooted...

I'd like to see Alien Nation get another shot, and Land of the Lost redone as a Serious Adult Drama could be really good (Yes, they did the comedy movie, and also there was a Syndicated reboot for kids already)

I'd love to see Blake's 7 re-done, though if it went wrong, it could go horribly wrong

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Six Million Dollar Man. They've been trying for years to get this off the ground as a movie.

The X-Files. You know a remake of this is coming within the next ten or twelve years with younger versions of Mulder and Scully.

Xena, Warrior Princess. Yep, this one ain't safe from a remake either. They'll probably have Lucy Lawless do guest appearances as the new Xena's mother.

Baywatch. Every generation must have buxom blondes running on the beach in slow motion. It's called the Pamela Anderson Law.

Welcome Back, Kotter. Because somebody is probably thinking it's a good idea (certainly won't be me, tho).

All In the Family. Because nothing's sacred.

M*A*S*H. Some Hollywood idjiot is thinking it's a novel idea to probably revision it as taking place during the Iraqi War.
Old June 25 2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
M*A*S*H. Some Hollywood idjiot is thinking it's a novel idea to probably revision it as taking place during the Iraqi War.
They did China Beach and now there's Combat Hospital. (yes, that's a real title!!!!) Dramas, but in the same vein as M*A*S*H.
Old June 25 2011, 05:11 PM   #5
sojourner
Admiral

MMMmm, I would loves me some Stingray remake. If done right. New tv show though, not a movie.
Old June 25 2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

A few years ago I would have said The Night Stalker, but . . . . be careful what you wish for!
Old June 25 2011, 05:22 PM   #7
scnj
Captain

I feel it's time to reboot Reboot. Or bring it back.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Caliburn24
Commodore

Tom Clancy offered to write a screenplay for a Magnum PI movie a few years back, I don't think any studio took him up on the offer.

Robotech/Macross is getting turned into a live action movie, although it is in development hell right now as far as I can tell.

A MacGyver remake of sorts almost made it to the air, as did a remake of Lost in Space.

The Charlies Angels remake starts this fall.

With the major networks in love with procedural cop shows, and the success of the Hawaii Five-O remake, I suspect that remakes of Hill Street Blues, Streets of San Francisco and Dragnet can't be too far behind.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
With the major networks in love with procedural cop shows, and the success of the Hawaii Five-O remake, I suspect that remakes of Hill Street Blues, Streets of San Francisco and Dragnet can't be too far behind.
They tried a new DRAGNET series a few years ago, with the guy from MARRIED . . . WITH CHILDREN as Friday. It didn't take.
Old June 25 2011, 06:15 PM   #10
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I started another thread a while ago called
"scifi series ripe for a reboot"
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=121319

Check it out.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 06:27 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
They did China Beach and now there's Combat Hospital. (yes, that's a real title!!!!) Dramas, but in the same vein as M*A*S*H.
Those were more straight-up dramas, while M*A*S*H tended to be more of comedy (it did have a laugh track) when it wasn't dealing with something serious.
Old June 25 2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Those were more straight-up dramas, while M*A*S*H tended to be more of comedy (it did have a laugh track) when it wasn't dealing with something serious.
I'm aware, but the line between comedy and drama in modern programming has blurred. I would say M*A*S*H contained as muh drama as most modern hour long dramas and the comedy elements in modern dramas is about the same as in M*A*S*H.
Old June 25 2011, 06:37 PM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'm aware, but the line between comedy and drama in modern programming has blurred. I would say M*A*S*H contained as muh drama as most modern hour long dramas and the comedy elements in modern dramas is about the same as in M*A*S*H.
I disagree on that last part. There was very little humor in China Beach.
Old June 25 2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I disagree on that last part. There was very little humor in China Beach.
I was thinking more of modern shows, China Beach was on 20 years ago. And I found it unwatchable. Humor might have helped. Any how, China Beach came across to me as a "dramatic" take on M*A*S*H.
Old June 25 2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Hmm...actually they've already gotten to the '80s by rebooting Transformers, Miami Vice and The A-Team on film. And isn't there a Magnum, P.I. reboot in the works somewhere? Simon & Simon, Moonlighting and Remington Steele can't be far behind...
Don't forget the several Ninja Turtles revivals in the last few years, plus the live-action GI Joe movie.

I'm partial to '80s cartons and their associated merchandise, so I desperately want to see a Dino-Riders reboot. We've had the CGI to do it for a decade, Hollywood! C'mon! I want spacemen, aliens, spaceships, and dinosaurs with frickin' laser beams duking it out in all-out live-action war. They'd make a mint.