Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 14 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
LCARS 24
Commodore

Saber class

Is this reasonable? I'm just going mostly by the published exterior views posted at EAS. One shows the warp-core ejection port, and some others show the impulse engines.

LCARS 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Bounty
Commander

Re: Saber class

Is that a second shuttlebay behind the warp core, or is that icon not a shuttle?
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure it's a torpedo launcher.

Based on my limited knowledge of the class, I'd say it's pretty good.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Bounty
Commander

I'm pretty sure it's a torpedo launcher.
Whoops. I was wondering why a Vulcan shuttle would be parked in a starship...
Old March 14 2009, 08:41 PM   #5
LCARS 24
Commodore

All right, I did that in a rush. I'll redo the torp launchers.
Old March 14 2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Bounty
Commander

LCARS 24 wrote: View Post
All right, I did that in a rush. I'll redo the torp launchers.
I hope you're not redoing them because I'm too thick to recognize one
Old March 14 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
LCARS 24
Commodore

It's okay. They looked goofy. And I moved that impulse engine up, too. Anything else?

Old March 14 2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Looks good to me.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Timo
Admiral

We haven't really seen the torp launchers in action, so their locations are rather speculative.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious opening for the bow one in the CGI model on that location, but it's still as good a place as any, because it's nicely below the "beak" that could indeed hide such features. However, I'd perhaps split the aft tube in two and place the tubes much lower on the transom, because the stern has a double feature there that could be used.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...front-rear.gif

It would be a somewhat snug fit with the core - but then again, such snug fit is for some reason treknologically advantageous on the Constitution refit at least...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 09:09 AM   #10
LCARS 24
Commodore

Well, Timo, those ports near the warp core I would think rule out a pair of torp launchers, being so close together and so close to the established position of the warp core. They could be for emergency antimatter ejection, though.

But moving the forward launcher below or next to the deflector may not be a bad idea, even though there sre no exterior clues to support that. I'm certainly not thrilled about where I have it now.

What do you think? Below the deflector? To the side, as seen on the Intrepid class?
Old March 17 2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Timo
Admiral

I actually quite like the current location... Perhaps one deck down, right in between the two shuttlebays, would be my first choice, but that's difficult to portray in MSD format.

Whether this thing even has an aft launcher is debatable. The Saber is among the smallest starships out there, and it might do justice to her dramatic purpose to reflect her small stature with a reduced amount or variety of onboard equipment, too. One might drive home the small size by using a somewhat larger forward torpedo launcher...

Timo Saloniemi
Old March 17 2009, 05:04 PM   #12
LCARS 24
Commodore

Sounds like it's okay as it is, all done.
Old March 18 2009, 09:27 AM   #13
SicOne
Commodore

LCARS 24, I know you said you're all done with the Saber..., but maybe it is possible to put the nacelle down below and aft, apart from the ship, like your MSD of the Intrepid-class. Or with any MSD with a ship class whose structure has the nacelle integrated with the primary hull (Steamrunner), or any MSD where the nacelle's natural position would interfere with seeing what is in that section of the ship blocked by the nacelle (lower decks of the Luna).
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 11:21 AM   #14
LCARS 24
Commodore

Sure, but you know what the hidden part looks like from what is shown, and this clarifies its postion on the ship. This is really just an overall information display.
Old March 18 2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Timo
Admiral

...One wonders, though, just what information is being shown. If the display is supposed to tell the user how the warp engine is faring, then it would probably be essential to see all the coils at one glance, not obscured by other graphics.

Of course, we basically never see any meaningful information displayed on the MSD, except in brief picture-in-picture insets in some first-season TNG episodes. Perhaps on the rare occasion that the MSD really has something worth showing, a PIP always emerges, or the nacelle pops to the foreground, or something like that. If so, it would actually be advantageous that the default mode of the MSD hides all the crucial features, so that their sudden emergence would be all the more noticeable!

Timo Saloniemi