The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 13 2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

BSG story on EW

Sorry if this is old news, but I find it interesting.

Sounds like making Starbuck a woman helped convince Bonnie Hammer to greenlight this project.

HAMMER: (pictured) I was floored. It was no longer your father's Battlestar Galactica. It was provocative, it was edgy, it was dark. It was such a smart concept. And, of course, being a woman, having the star fighter pilot be female just won me over in a heartbeat.
MOORE: When [the fans] heard Starbuck was going to be a woman, it was just like, ''There can never be peace between us! Blood has been spilled!'' We just decided that we didn't care.
So say we all!

But the 9/11 analogy thing, eh - never really worked. They should have just gone their own way from the start.
Old March 13 2009, 08:21 PM   #2
billcosby
Commodore

Re: BSG story on EW

Heck, making Starbuck a woman helped convince me to watch it.
That, and shit blowing up.

I know. I'm deep.

Old March 13 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Women are so sexist.
Old March 13 2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
Women are so sexist.
It's charming that she admits it so readily. But Bonnie Hammer is supposed to be the Great Satan of Sci Fi (cancelled Farscape!!!! also cancelled Firefly, by remote control of Fox!!!!) so I'm very confused that she made a decision I like.
Old March 13 2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

MOORE: When [the fans] heard Starbuck was going to be a woman, it was just like, ''There can never be peace between us! Blood has been spilled!'' We just decided that we didn't care.
Smart man!
Old March 13 2009, 08:39 PM   #6
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

That story sadly didn't mention my favorite bit about the uproar over the miniseries, which is Eddie telling the disgruntled original series fans not to watch the miniseries at all.
Old March 13 2009, 08:39 PM   #7
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

* It was great too:

SELLING ADAMA
MOORE: Edward James Olmos was trickier.
EICK: He was like, ''Yeah, yeah yeah, but what about the series? Where do you guys go when this gets ordered?'' He was so certain that this thing had jet fuel on it. He already knew it was going to get picked up.
EDWARD JAMES OLMOS (Cmdr. William Adama): I made it very clear. I said, ''If there are no four eyed-creatures, and no weird aliens from another world or galaxy or universe, I will be a part of this. The very first creature I see from the Black Lagoon, I'm going to faint on camera and I'm off the show. That's it. You can just write that Adama had a heart attack and died. But I'm not going to do that kind of sci-fi show.''
MOORE: We kept saying, ''We agree!'' He just didn't believe us.
Old March 13 2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
Women are so sexist.
It's charming that she admits it so readily. But Bonnie Hammer is supposed to be the Great Satan of Sci Fi (cancelled Farscape!!!! also cancelled Firefly, by remote control of Fox!!!!) so I'm very confused that she made a decision I like.
The sexism shown by women can be quite unpredictable, I have found.
Old March 13 2009, 09:23 PM   #9
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

great article
Old March 13 2009, 09:24 PM   #10
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Starbuck's a woman?!
Old March 13 2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

SACKHOFF: No one seems to remember that Boomer in the original was a black man, and now he was a Korean woman! [Laughs] No one cared. Before we even started shooting the miniseries, I got a death threat [mailed to me]. It made me terrified of the science fiction fans, which was unfair, because 98 percent of them are fantastic human beings. But there's 2 percent that'll scare the living s--- out of ya.
Boy I remember that period pretty vividly. My favorite (by favorite i mean not favorite) was this image of Ron Moore with a bloody gunshot photoshopped on his forehead over on colonnialfleets.com forums. I also read a few other places. Vaguely recall here also but it was more crazy on other forums. Those people were complete and utter lunatics.

I remember I'd already read the mini script when it had leaked and I knew right then that the series would be good so it was kind of surreal to read all this stuff from them trying to convince that it was going to be atrocity. I just wanted to say 'geez guys stop wasting all that effort, I already read it and liked it' of course i never did, it was vaguely fun to watch them go apopleptic.

Moore got an up-close-and-personal taste of the fan outrage in October 2003, when he was invited to attend Galacticon, a fan convention held at a Los Angeles hotel across the street from his Universal Studios offices. Richard Hatch was one of the organizers of the event. Before Moore started the audience Q&A, he showed three lengthy clips from the miniseries.
MOORE: The clips end and they booed and they hissed.
HATCH: It was icy-cold in there. It was obvious that no one liked it, and it wasn't because it wasn't good. It was because it was so different from what everybody wanted at that time. Their questions were tipped with a lot of acid.
I remember THIS even moreso. That was really something, Moore going there. After the downright vicious things they'd been saying, some borderline criminal, I wouldn't have given these nutcases the time of the day.
Old March 13 2009, 09:36 PM   #12
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Jon Cryer as Baltar? No frakking way!

OT, from that very site here are the odds concerning the identity of the Final Cylon back then (circa January '09):

'Battlestar Galactica': Who is the Final Cylon? We Set Odds

ELLEN TIGH
Kate Vernon
Role in the fleet Cylon collaborator during the Occupation of New Caprica. Wife to Saul Tigh. Poisoned for collaborating … by her husband, who is also a Cylon.
What are the chances? Meh. She's both dead and peripheral. I don't see it. 30 to 1.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old March 13 2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The very first creature I see from the Black Lagoon, I'm going to faint on camera and I'm off the show.
I would pay real money to see Adama faint on camera.

And no, passing out drunk does not count.

Starbuck's a woman?!
She slapped Baltar instead of decking him. Musta had a sex change operation.
Old March 14 2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

^Hey, Starbuck Mark I was gender confused. The Mark II is not She slaps the biatch that Baltar has always been.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old March 14 2009, 04:43 AM   #15
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

OMG Baltar was almost played by Jon Cryer. Jesus Christ thank god that didn't happen.