RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,737
Posts: 5,215,275
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1101
Newest member: DeimosAnimus


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old March 10 2009, 09:25 PM   #16
chrisspringob
Commodore
 
Location: North Ryde, NSW
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
chrisspringob is offline  
Old March 10 2009, 09:28 PM   #17
USS KG5
Vice Admiral
 
USS KG5's Avatar
 
Location: England's green and pleasant land.
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
I disagree - the civilisation that the final five came from is not supposed to be ours.

If you assume the Earth is our Earth, then they either come long before or long after us IMHO.
__________________
I believe in a better world, so I love Star Trek. I have to live in this one, so I love Battlestar Galactica.
USS KG5 is offline  
Old March 10 2009, 11:16 PM   #18
roguephoenix
Captain
 
roguephoenix's Avatar
 
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

hmmm aren't we the cylons? alas, i have no way of checking out to see if i'm cylon.
roguephoenix is offline  
Old March 10 2009, 11:36 PM   #19
Hunter X
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Vancouver
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

^That's how I interpreted "Sometimes a Great Notion" as well. That we, the inhabitants of Earth, are Cylons who forgot that we are (and some rediscovered this and rebuilt resurrection).
Hunter X is offline  
Old March 10 2009, 11:38 PM   #20
David cgc
Vice Admiral
 
David cgc's Avatar
 
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
hmmm aren't we the cylons? alas, i have no way of checking out to see if i'm cylon.
You could preferentially ionize synthetic molecules (and it really is that simple), see if any of your cells bioluminesce or photosensitize at odd moments, like when a fiber-optic cable is jammed in your arm (or when Gaius Baltar or Karl Agathon is jammed... somewhere else), try to instantly distinguish between identical twins, or even have reckless sex with people you don't love and see if anybody becomes pregnant and carries to term.

Any of these would be a fine way to tell if you are, in fact, a Cylon.
__________________
“I come here to have fun and fuck around merrily. I expect to showered by all kind of random crap.”
iguana_tonante
David cgc is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 12:07 AM   #21
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral
 
Magisterfrodo's Avatar
 
Location: Waco, TX
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Hunter X wrote: View Post
^That's how I interpreted "Sometimes a Great Notion" as well. That we, the inhabitants of Earth, are Cylons who forgot that we are (and some rediscovered this and rebuilt resurrection).
I don't think so. They seemed to always know they were Cylons and the 13th tribe. They knew about Kobol.

Also, remember that back in season 2 when they were in the holographic chamber, Kara said that earth was where the constellations matached the original flags of the twelve tribes. That's no coincidence. They had to have come from Earth long before the 13th tribe re-settled it as their own.
__________________
"I am as conservative as the Word of God and as liberal as the love of God."
- Tony Campolo
Magisterfrodo is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 02:11 AM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend
 
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Magisterfrodo wrote: View Post
Hunter X wrote: View Post
^That's how I interpreted "Sometimes a Great Notion" as well. That we, the inhabitants of Earth, are Cylons who forgot that we are (and some rediscovered this and rebuilt resurrection).
I don't think so. They seemed to always know
Ah, but how many people knew - uh, know?

Dan Brown could get a book out of this theory.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 05:45 AM   #23
chrisspringob
Commodore
 
Location: North Ryde, NSW
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
I disagree - the civilisation that the final five came from is not supposed to be ours.

If you assume the Earth is our Earth, then they either come long before or long after us IMHO.
I don't assume that it's our Earth. I assume that it's a fictional universe in which the writers have borrowed various elements of the real world and changed around others, just like Lord of the Rings, or, say, the alt-version of Earth in Independence Day, where there was a President Whitmore and aliens attacked us in 1996. Every work of fiction should have *internal* logical consistency, but I don't demand that it be consistent with the real world.

At the moment, I'm just taking the show at face value, that life originated on Kobol, and so the show is not congruent with the real world, where we have pretty solid evidence that life evolved here on Earth. That discrepancy is fine by me, as it's just a fictional world that we're talking about. If Moore wants to change it around in the last episode, to make it more consistent with the real world, then that's OK.....but I won't be the least bit bothered if he doesn't.
chrisspringob is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 11:04 AM   #24
USS KG5
Vice Admiral
 
USS KG5's Avatar
 
Location: England's green and pleasant land.
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I don't assume that it's our Earth. I assume that it's a fictional universe in which the writers have borrowed various elements of the real world and changed around others, just like Lord of the Rings, or, say, the alt-version of Earth in Independence Day, where there was a President Whitmore and aliens attacked us in 1996. Every work of fiction should have *internal* logical consistency, but I don't demand that it be consistent with the real world.
Well thats not what I said, I said it is not our civilisation it is clear the planet in question is supposed to be our Earth, but the implication is not that the Cylon civilisation is our civilisation.

RDM is not as much of a hack writer as to do "this is our Earth but loads of stuff is different" - at least not unless it is a key part of the story in a "Watchmen" style.

As for Independence Day it is not in an alternate universe, it is a work of fiction set in ours, and as it is fiction they can have a fictional president. It does seem to be set in the near future after all.

At the moment, I'm just taking the show at face value, that life originated on Kobol, and so the show is not congruent with the real world, where we have pretty solid evidence that life evolved here on Earth. That discrepancy is fine by me, as it's just a fictional world that we're talking about. If Moore wants to change it around in the last episode, to make it more consistent with the real world, then that's OK.....but I won't be the least bit bothered if he doesn't.
I'm pretty certain the show will not conclude with life originating on Kobol, and that is not second guessing the show. I'd go as far as to say the reveal of where life came from will come in the same scene as the reveal of who is pulling everyone's strings.

I think the cycle has gone on far, far longer than any of the characters currently suspects.
__________________
I believe in a better world, so I love Star Trek. I have to live in this one, so I love Battlestar Galactica.
USS KG5 is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 01:15 PM   #25
MIB
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Someplace where I can watch you
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Personally, I see no reason to believe why *our* civilization has to be in the BSG universe at all.
__________________
The sooner we get this relief in the hands of the American people, the sooner they can begin to do their job of being good consumers.--Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio
Government: To them we are not citizens anymore. We're mindless machines.
MIB is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 01:31 PM   #26
Alpha_Geek
Commodore
 
Alpha_Geek's Avatar
 
Location: Central VA, US
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Maybe we're on Earth MkI, which the Vogons destroyed and the BSG Earth is the Earth MkII that the mice rebuilt?

Seriously though, I have no idea where the puzzle pieces fit. My guess on "Watchtower" is that they were looking for something that could be discerned as obviously not coming from a Colonial origin. That way the viewing audience knew something really wacked out was happening. Really wacked out, like.. I dunno, maybe a handfull of beloved characters realizing that they *are* the enemy...

Wish they would have used the Hendrix version though.

AG
Alpha_Geek is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Search4
Commander
 
Search4's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey, USA
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

IMHO: if this has all happened before, and again, then we have a 2000 year cycle of building intelligence / revolt / war / move to another planet. We're in the future and this has happened a LOT of times. Earth was the original origin, but the origin is always viewed as the last planet we started from.
Search4 is offline  
Old March 11 2009, 02:44 PM   #28
USS KG5
Vice Admiral
 
USS KG5's Avatar
 
Location: England's green and pleasant land.
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Search4 wrote: View Post
IMHO: if this has all happened before, and again, then we have a 2000 year cycle of building intelligence / revolt / war / move to another planet. We're in the future and this has happened a LOT of times. Earth was the original origin, but the origin is always viewed as the last planet we started from.
This is exactly what I feel the reveal will be, possibly topped off with none of our characters being human as in like us, but in fact all one or other generations of Cylons.

You see we are all the same deep down despite our differences... maybe RDM's message?
__________________
I believe in a better world, so I love Star Trek. I have to live in this one, so I love Battlestar Galactica.
USS KG5 is offline  
Old March 12 2009, 05:32 AM   #29
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral
 
Myasishchev's Avatar
 
Location: America after the rain
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
Concur.
Myasishchev is offline  
Old March 12 2009, 05:48 AM   #30
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral
 
Magisterfrodo's Avatar
 
Location: Waco, TX
Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
Concur.
I couldn't point to it, but I'm pretty sure awhile back the RDM did say that it takes place within our universe and that he would not be violating the theory of evolution. Sounds like it had to start on Earth somewhere in the distant past.
__________________
"I am as conservative as the Word of God and as liberal as the love of God."
- Tony Campolo
Magisterfrodo is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
earth, finale, theory

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.