RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,737
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1101
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 10 2009, 09:25 PM   #16
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
Old March 10 2009, 09:28 PM   #17
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
I disagree - the civilisation that the final five came from is not supposed to be ours.

If you assume the Earth is our Earth, then they either come long before or long after us IMHO.
Old March 10 2009, 11:16 PM   #18
roguephoenix
Captain

hmmm aren't we the cylons? alas, i have no way of checking out to see if i'm cylon.
Old March 10 2009, 11:36 PM   #19
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

^That's how I interpreted "Sometimes a Great Notion" as well. That we, the inhabitants of Earth, are Cylons who forgot that we are (and some rediscovered this and rebuilt resurrection).
Old March 10 2009, 11:38 PM   #20
David cgc
Vice Admiral

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
hmmm aren't we the cylons? alas, i have no way of checking out to see if i'm cylon.
You could preferentially ionize synthetic molecules (and it really is that simple), see if any of your cells bioluminesce or photosensitize at odd moments, like when a fiber-optic cable is jammed in your arm (or when Gaius Baltar or Karl Agathon is jammed... somewhere else), try to instantly distinguish between identical twins, or even have reckless sex with people you don't love and see if anybody becomes pregnant and carries to term.

Any of these would be a fine way to tell if you are, in fact, a Cylon.
Old March 11 2009, 12:07 AM   #21
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Hunter X wrote: View Post
^That's how I interpreted "Sometimes a Great Notion" as well. That we, the inhabitants of Earth, are Cylons who forgot that we are (and some rediscovered this and rebuilt resurrection).
I don't think so. They seemed to always know they were Cylons and the 13th tribe. They knew about Kobol.

Also, remember that back in season 2 when they were in the holographic chamber, Kara said that earth was where the constellations matached the original flags of the twelve tribes. That's no coincidence. They had to have come from Earth long before the 13th tribe re-settled it as their own.
Old March 11 2009, 02:11 AM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Magisterfrodo wrote: View Post
Hunter X wrote: View Post
I don't think so. They seemed to always know
Ah, but how many people knew - uh, know?

Dan Brown could get a book out of this theory.
Old March 11 2009, 05:45 AM   #23
chrisspringob
Commodore

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
I disagree - the civilisation that the final five came from is not supposed to be ours.

If you assume the Earth is our Earth, then they either come long before or long after us IMHO.
I don't assume that it's our Earth. I assume that it's a fictional universe in which the writers have borrowed various elements of the real world and changed around others, just like Lord of the Rings, or, say, the alt-version of Earth in Independence Day, where there was a President Whitmore and aliens attacked us in 1996. Every work of fiction should have *internal* logical consistency, but I don't demand that it be consistent with the real world.

At the moment, I'm just taking the show at face value, that life originated on Kobol, and so the show is not congruent with the real world, where we have pretty solid evidence that life evolved here on Earth. That discrepancy is fine by me, as it's just a fictional world that we're talking about. If Moore wants to change it around in the last episode, to make it more consistent with the real world, then that's OK.....but I won't be the least bit bothered if he doesn't.
Old March 11 2009, 11:04 AM   #24
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

I don't assume that it's our Earth. I assume that it's a fictional universe in which the writers have borrowed various elements of the real world and changed around others, just like Lord of the Rings, or, say, the alt-version of Earth in Independence Day, where there was a President Whitmore and aliens attacked us in 1996. Every work of fiction should have *internal* logical consistency, but I don't demand that it be consistent with the real world.
Well thats not what I said, I said it is not our civilisation it is clear the planet in question is supposed to be our Earth, but the implication is not that the Cylon civilisation is our civilisation.

RDM is not as much of a hack writer as to do "this is our Earth but loads of stuff is different" - at least not unless it is a key part of the story in a "Watchmen" style.

As for Independence Day it is not in an alternate universe, it is a work of fiction set in ours, and as it is fiction they can have a fictional president. It does seem to be set in the near future after all.

At the moment, I'm just taking the show at face value, that life originated on Kobol, and so the show is not congruent with the real world, where we have pretty solid evidence that life evolved here on Earth. That discrepancy is fine by me, as it's just a fictional world that we're talking about. If Moore wants to change it around in the last episode, to make it more consistent with the real world, then that's OK.....but I won't be the least bit bothered if he doesn't.
I'm pretty certain the show will not conclude with life originating on Kobol, and that is not second guessing the show. I'd go as far as to say the reveal of where life came from will come in the same scene as the reveal of who is pulling everyone's strings.

I think the cycle has gone on far, far longer than any of the characters currently suspects.
Old March 11 2009, 01:15 PM   #25
MIB
Rear Admiral

Personally, I see no reason to believe why *our* civilization has to be in the BSG universe at all.
Old March 11 2009, 01:31 PM   #26
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Maybe we're on Earth MkI, which the Vogons destroyed and the BSG Earth is the Earth MkII that the mice rebuilt?

Seriously though, I have no idea where the puzzle pieces fit. My guess on "Watchtower" is that they were looking for something that could be discerned as obviously not coming from a Colonial origin. That way the viewing audience knew something really wacked out was happening. Really wacked out, like.. I dunno, maybe a handfull of beloved characters realizing that they *are* the enemy...

Wish they would have used the Hendrix version though.

AG
Old March 11 2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Search4
Commander

IMHO: if this has all happened before, and again, then we have a 2000 year cycle of building intelligence / revolt / war / move to another planet. We're in the future and this has happened a LOT of times. Earth was the original origin, but the origin is always viewed as the last planet we started from.
Old March 11 2009, 02:44 PM   #28
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Search4 wrote: View Post
IMHO: if this has all happened before, and again, then we have a 2000 year cycle of building intelligence / revolt / war / move to another planet. We're in the future and this has happened a LOT of times. Earth was the original origin, but the origin is always viewed as the last planet we started from.
This is exactly what I feel the reveal will be, possibly topped off with none of our characters being human as in like us, but in fact all one or other generations of Cylons.

You see we are all the same deep down despite our differences... maybe RDM's message?
Old March 12 2009, 05:32 AM   #29
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Concur.
Old March 12 2009, 05:48 AM   #30
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Concur.
I couldn't point to it, but I'm pretty sure awhile back the RDM did say that it takes place within our universe and that he would not be violating the theory of evolution. Sounds like it had to start on Earth somewhere in the distant past.