TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode
Excellent 5 8.77%
Above Average 27 47.37%
Average 16 28.07%
Below Average 3 5.26%
Poor 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10 2009, 08:03 AM   #31
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Re: Heroes 3x19 "Shades of Gray" Discuss and Grade

Above Average - Finally a decent episode that is more than just "meh"...

- Decent Claire story for once
- Nathan/Hunter story finally moves forward
- Nice confrontation between Sylar and SylarDad.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 08:56 AM   #32
FreezeC77
Commodore

So Chuck & Heroes...Same universe? Although it then messes up that Chuck had Al Powell (Die hard/2) appear when the actor who plays the hunter was in Die Hard 4 himself...
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 09:15 AM   #33
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Haha, I totally called the Matt Parkman that Hiro and Ando were going after would be Matt Jr.
Wait a minute...

I thought that the baby wasn't Matt's? That it was really the baby of the slug that his wife was sleeping with? Wasn't that how they wrote the wife out in S2?
Old March 10 2009, 09:38 AM   #34
Dream
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Haha, I totally called the Matt Parkman that Hiro and Ando were going after would be Matt Jr.
Wait a minute...

I thought that the baby wasn't Matt's? That it was really the baby of the slug that his wife was sleeping with? Wasn't that how they wrote the wife out in S2?
Matt doesn't know if the baby is his or not. We learned from one of the nightmares that Matt's father gave him in season two that Matt never used his telepathy to find out the truth from his wife.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 11:19 AM   #35
HIj'Qa
Fleet Captain

John Glover is always a pleasure to see. And Mohinder next week will ne nice
HIj'Qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 12:45 PM   #36
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Terrific episode until the last two minutes when once again poor writing hit the reset button.
Now we know that rebel turned off the camera so there is no proof that Hunter can use to prove Nathan can fly. Watch the scene and notice the red light stops blinking on the camera over Hunters right shoulder meaning the camera goes off.
Why didnt HRG just give Hunter a push out the window at that point? Would have ended all our problems.
If Hunter had been removed as the guy in charge why did the agents go after Claire? Noone saw her help the puppet guy.
How long before Sylars dad shows up on Claires door step?
How fast can Nathan fly? From Washington to Costa Verde in seconds.
Baby Parkman is very fat.
Why was Mrs. Petrelli hugging a sock?
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 02:27 PM   #37
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

So Mama Petrelli is back stealing socks! That's the Fueller touch

This episode is sliiiiiighlty better than the usual crap we've been served these last two volumes. From Rebel's action (messages displayed wherever the recipient is) can only mean he's a technopath. So either the whiz kid is back or someone similar will show up.

And I still laugh my ass off regarding how the writers really care about not uttering the word "power" but use the word "ability" instead!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 05:05 PM   #38
Servo
Rear Admiral

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
I think it would have been cooler if Sylar's dad had gotten Sylar's healing power & then he'd stick around as sort of this constant pest for Sylar deal with, always trying to one up him... too bad, he could have been interesting.
Sounds a bit too much like a superpowered version of Lionel vs Lex.

Having said that, John Glover is always quality, and I do kinda hope this isn't the last we see of him in Heroes.
Old March 10 2009, 05:31 PM   #39
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Below average, cripes. Bryan Fuller's episodes start in two weeks, right? I'm gettin' desperate here.

but maybe I'm just imagining it since this is the first "Bryan Fuller's Back!" episode.
This was a Fuller episode? Erk.

So Sylar's road trip amounted to precisely nothing, as he gains the amazing insight that he should kill people who have big-time powers. What exactly has he been doing for three years now? I've never noticed him shying away from dangerous metahumans. Just the opposite - the stronger the power, the more he wants it.

And now that Peter is "nerfed," poor Sylar doesn't even have someone in his weight class to go after! The whole Sylar plotline this season is a bust. They should have left him a Petrelli and tried to whomp up a good backstory for that (Angela sending him away to keep him out of Arthur's clutches had some potential) instead.

And the characterization of his dad was just piss poor. He's evil. So what? Don't the writers yet realize that characters who are evil and nothing more are boring? Poor John Glover, completely wasted in a nothing role.

No doubt Sylar will offer to team up with Danko and hunt mutants together (no way Sylar would consider Danko worthy prey). That should be good for some cheap thrills; Danko will think he can use Sylar and kill him in the end, while Sylar of course will be able to predict, so this will not end well. I love twisted alliances. But none of this solves the essential problem of Sylar, it just postpones it. Again.

Matt Jr. is an interesting development - good attention to plot logic there. 5YG implies Matt Jr. was indeed Matt's son (otherwise why did Mom go into hiding?) But I'm not wild about any baby being introduced into a story, and this baby is just going to lead to soap opera plotting as Daphne gets jealous about Matt's previous family, blergh.

Nathan is all over the place. One minute the bad guy who put all of this into motion. The next trying to undo his clusterf*ck. The episode seemed to want to suggest that maybe he wanted to set this in motion for some altruistic unknown reason perhaps as a pre-emptive move on his part against the government who were already aware of those with abilities but it doesn't come off that way.
It's like there are several establishing scenes for Nathan's motivation that got left on the cutting room floor.

1) BIG traumatic event that convinces Nathan and the audience that the metahumans are headed for certain disaster if someone doesn't do something.

2) Nathan mulling over options, realizing that segregating them from the population is the only route likely to succeed.

3) Nathan trying to convince Peter that his plan is sensible; Peter flips out.

4) Peter convinces everyone else that Nathan is off the rails and makes the situation worse by making them panic (Not trying to dump the guilt on Peter here; just trying to diffuse it between the brothers and make it all about their character flaws - Nathan too controlling, Peter too stubborn and emotional).

5) Nathan tries to "solve" the mess of scattered metahumans by rounding them up without regard to their civil rights.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 06:58 PM   #40
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

And now that Peter is "nerfed," poor Sylar doesn't even have someone in his weight class to go after! The whole Sylar plotline this season is a bust. They should have left him a Petrelli and tried to whomp up a good backstory for that (Angela sending him away to keep him out of Arthur's clutches had some potential) instead.
yeah Im getting sick of Sylar being so untouchable, Id like to see someone give him a run for his money a few times, but not Peter, someone new.

Sounds a bit too much like a superpowered version of Lionel vs Lex.
oh, heh & I dont even watch Smallville.

btw what was with Nathan sucking on a toothpick? another weird Fuller touch?
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 07:39 PM   #41
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Fuller better be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat and do magic. Another series low last night. 6.63 million in fast nationals. 3.2 in the demo.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 07:39 PM   #42
Hermiod
Admiral

Above Average - The Peter/Hiro Nerf Modifier = Average.

I want to see Sylar storm Building 26, take their files and then destroy them.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 08:36 PM   #43
Aragorn
Admiral

If I didn't like the actors, I don't know if I'd still be watching. This was really bad.

Doyle didn't need Claire's help, especially since he can do infinitely more than she can.

And law enforcement on this show is a joke. "Guy with bomb! Let's shoot him!"
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 09:20 PM   #44
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I'm kind of hovering between average and above average... but I'm feeling generous, so I went with the latter. It was a bit better than most of the episodes of late.

Not bad. Seems to be picking up and really going somewhere now. John Glover was good -- Sylar's dad seems to be an older and more world-weary version of Sylar himself, and meeting him has apparently given Sylar some sort of new drive, a new goal -- something to aspire to not be. Is he going to form some sort of unholy alliance with Danko in his new quest for ultimate power?

So now that Nathan is "outed", will he join the resistance? This has the potential for interesting drama... provided the writers don't screw it up (fingers crossed for a miracle).

Claire wasn't too annoying this week, although Doyle was a bit wasted in her storyline. Her new job is certainly atypical for a cheerleader -- the joke about a hot blond girl working in a comic book store was certainly obvious, but kind of amusing nonetheless (well, to me anyway).

Looking forward to the next episode.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 10:04 PM   #45
Darth_Pinche
Captain

Blah...I'm tired of the lazy writing. As mentioned before by someone else, how did Hiro and Ando travel around without the anti-mutant police picking them up on traffic cameras, border checkpoints, etc. I think the big reveal at the end of the season will be that Ando has been supercharging the suckiness of the show all along.