Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 9 2009, 01:53 PM   #76
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Re: Did Enterprise happen in this Star Trek's past?

Cyrus wrote: View Post
ENT will be referenced directly in this movie with the appearance of the old Porthos.
Don't you think it's possibly a different Beagle?

I once had a dog when I was younger who passed away, and now -- years later -- I have another dog of that same breed.

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
...I don't see how there's anything he can do to fix the damage that's already been done. All he can do is prevent *further* damage, right?
Why not? They did it all the time in TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 01:57 PM   #77
Captain MAJ
Commander

Location: The edge of insanity........(Trying to log on to ST:O)
Send a message via AIM to Captain MAJ

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
ENT will be referenced directly in this movie with the appearance of the old Porthos.
Don't you think it's possibly a different Beagle?

I once had a dog when I was younger who passed away, and now -- years later -- I have another dog of that same breed.
I think that's likely what the writers are implying. When I first heard that I never thought it would be the original Porthos.

Unless Veterinary medicine is more advanced that Humanoid medicine by then....
Old March 9 2009, 02:01 PM   #78
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Old Spock's sole reason for travelling back in time is to wipe "Enterprise" from existence, or die trying. It is his most important mission, and his most selfless act ever.

Spock (dying): "The franchise... Out of danger?"

Kirk: "You saved the franchise. You saved us all."

And let's not forget Captain Pike's inpirational challenge to Young Kirk:

Pike: "'Enterprise' was good for about 12 minutes, and was watched by 800 people. I dare you to do better."
Ummm..that was actually funny stuff!!!

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:05 PM   #79
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Turns out that Nero's whole beef with the Federation is that during an earlier time-travel incident Porthos peed on the bridge of the Narada and Archer wouldn't apologize.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:48 PM   #80
indranee
Vice Admiral

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
The only thing more fucked up than that post is that it is probably true.
but what if Porthos was really Vulcan?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:53 PM   #81
indranee
Vice Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
The story which forms the framework for this movie is about how old Spock is traveling back in time to keep Nero from changing the timeline. And you seriously think he will fail?
I thought he only arrived in the 'past' after Nero had already destroyed the Kelvin,
, and possibly San Francisco as well. We definitely see the destruction of the ship and the planet in the previews, and we see San Francisco hit by the drill weapon (doesn't bode well for the city, given that we know that in this timeline, the Enterprise isn't built there anymore, it's built in Riverside, Iowa).

Unless you're suggesting Spock makes multiple incursions into the past? (Or, conversely, could do one final act that prevents Nero from ever existing in the first place - the ultimate reset button, as it were)
exactly where are we getting this Iowa connection? I thought that sign was basically "One" and then the Starfleet logo?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 06:50 PM   #82
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

indranee wrote: View Post
exactly where are we getting this Iowa connection? I thought that sign was basically "One" and then the Starfleet logo?
That sure looked like Iowa to me. See the huge buildings in the background? They're the same ones from Kirk's earlier scene where he wrecks Uncle Frank's car.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 08:22 PM   #83
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 08:30 PM   #84
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

That sure looked like Iowa to me. See the huge buildings in the background? They're the same ones from Kirk's earlier scene where he wrecks Uncle Frank's car.
I could be wrong, but I think someone from the production (probably Orci) confirmed that the ship construction site Kirk is looking at is indeed in Iowa.

I'm too lazy to look for the quote, but hopefully someone could back me up on this.

With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Old March 9 2009, 08:32 PM   #85
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I could be wrong, but I think someone from the production (probably Orci) confirmed that the ship construction site Kirk is looking at is indeed in Iowa.

I'm too lazy to look for the quote, but hopefully someone could back me up on this.
http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/09/excl...trek-and-more/

TrekMovie: On the Enterprise being built in Iowa — It is amazing that in January after the first trailer, where the ship was being built was the hottest topic. It seem after the second trailer, it still is the hottest topic. Are you surprised this is such a big deal to fans?

Roberto Orci: No, not at all. From the minute we pulled that fan photo of the Enterprise being built in a ship yard - we showed that to JJ as a way to get him excited and to show him how grounded Star Trek could be, literally [laughs]. And he really locked onto that image. We showed with the caveat that if we went down that road, there would be some strong fan reaction, but that we thought we could justify it, but we knew if from second one.

TrekMovie: And do you have any internal reasoning why the ship is being built in Riverside Iowa instead of San Francisco.

Roberto Orci: Yes.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 08:41 PM   #86
USSPhilippi
Lieutenant Commander

View USSPhilippi's Twitter Profile

Captain MAJ wrote: View Post
The Kelvin attack happens as Jim Kirk is born, dating it at 2233, probably March 22 (Kirk's supposed birthday). Still well after the events of "Enterprise."
It just struck me....if James Tiberius Kirk is born on the Kelvin as it is being attacked by Nero, this movie probably won't go over too well in Riverside, Iowa.

For Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which Thou hast made: for Thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it. Wisdom 11:25, Douay-Rheims Bible
USSPhilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 08:53 PM   #87
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

^
^^ That's OK... "The Future Boyhood Home of James T. Kirk" sounds just as good as "The Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk".

I wonder if Abrams will give a few dollars to the Riverside, IA chamber of commerce to help pay for changing all of those references to "Birthplace"?

Old March 9 2009, 10:37 PM   #88
I am not Spock
Commodore

LOL, I find it somewhat hilarious that in JJs canon, ENT is the only previous Trek that happened!
Old March 10 2009, 12:09 AM   #89
miraclefan
Commodore

^
^^ That's OK... "The Future Boyhood Home of James T. Kirk" sounds just as good as "The Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk".

I wonder if Abrams will give a few dollars to the Riverside, IA chamber of commerce to help pay for changing all of those references to "Birthplace"?
I doubt it.
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
LOL, I find it somewhat hilarious that in JJs canon, ENT is the only previous Trek that happened!
Good for me! ENTERPRISE is my favorate TREK!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 12:11 AM   #90
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Actually :

Orci: Everyone here respects and was inspired by what Trek was and this movie is in a unique situation where it is both a prequel, but a sequel. All of Trek that preceded this movie is necessary within canon for this movie to have happened.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote