Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 9 2009, 03:26 AM   #46
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: Did Enterprise happen in this Star Trek's past?

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Cky wrote: View Post
I saw someone state earlier that there was a Consitution Class in ENT and it looked like the TOS and not JJ's (obviously). But surely you can just throw the words "time travel" and "parrell universe" in there and it's all settled .
I just say "New Movie/New Look" and all is settled
Yeah, that's what I always figured, too. And it's what I would have preferred. But Orci's statements seem to contradict this.
Well, to the extent that this is a prequel, the Enterprise should look pretty much like the 1966 version.

But then, maybe this is entirely something else.
Old March 9 2009, 03:34 AM   #47
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Cky wrote: View Post
I saw someone state earlier that there was a Consitution Class in ENT and it looked like the TOS and not JJ's (obviously). But surely you can just throw the words "time travel" and "parrell universe" in there and it's all settled .
Yeah, that's what I always figured, too. And it's what I would have preferred. But Orci's statements seem to contradict this.
Yeah -- I know where you're coming from...

But at WonderCon last week, Roberto Orci said:
"...it's both a prequel and a sequel. All of Trek that preceded this movie is necessary within canon for this movie to happen"

and Abrams said:
"The story adheres to canon pretty much as well as the original series adhered to canon."

and a few months ago, Orci said:
"Some of the things that seem that they are totally different, I will argue, once the film comes out, fall well within what could have been the non-time travel version of this move."

Maybe Orci thought he could appease fans by talking about quantum physics and such as a post facto non-in-film explanation for the differences in look, but didn't really mean that the altered timeline would completely change Trek history as we know it.

So I'm still holding out hope that this film will be a true prequel to TOS and NOT the first adventures of a ship called Enterprise in a parallel universe.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 03:47 AM   #48
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Yeah -- I know where you're coming from...

But at WonderCon last week, Roberto Orci said:
"...it's both a prequel and a sequel. All of Trek that preceded this movie is necessary within canon for this movie to happen"

and Abrams said:
"The story adheres to canon pretty much as well as the original series adhered to canon."

and a few months ago, Orci said:
"Some of the things that seem that they are totally different, I will argue, once the film comes out, fall well within what could have been the non-time travel version of this move."

Maybe Orci thought he could appease fans by talking about quantum physics and such as a post facto non-in-film explanation for the differences in look, but didn't really mean that the altered timeline would completely change Trek history as we know it.

So I'm still holding out hope that this film will be a true prequel to TOS and NOT the first adventures of a ship called Enterprise in a parallel universe.

From your lips to the God's Of Trek ear's...
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 03:58 AM   #49
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

miraclefan wrote: View Post
I would like to see ''or'' hear some mention of ENTERPRISE...
There will be references to all of the series, the filmmakers have said, including Enterprise.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:01 AM   #50
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

I can't see how the time-period of 'Enterprise' (let's say 2150-2170 or so), would be affected by Nero arriving in the 2250s or whatever and destroying a ship. All of the events of the 'Enterprise' era had long since occurred.

What WOULD be in question is everything that occurs in the regular timeline after 2250 (or whenever the Kelvin is attacked). So that's all of TOS (plus films), TNG, DS9, VOY, and the TNG films.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:06 AM   #51
M
Vice Admiral

You and me both. I, too, think Orci was just trying to appease the Trek fans who worry about the look of the Enterprise etc. But of course that is merely speculation on my part.

daveyNY wrote: View Post
Sorry, I know it's terribly terribly smartass to correct someone's spelling, but shouldn't it be to the God of Trek's ears?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:06 AM   #52
SG-17
Commodore

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
The more interesting question: Which events of "Enterprise" did happen in this timeline? For example, the ENT episode "Regeneration" was a result of the events of "First Contact". So did the Enterprise-E and the Borg appear in 2063 in this timeline?
And then there's the entire "Temporal Cold War" which may or may not have happened
This may be *part* of the TCW. Who knows, Daniels' group may yet send operatives back to prevent Nero's birth or something.
Quite possible considering that (it was stated by Daniels) changes in the timeline do not have an immediate impact on the future, it takes time for the changes in time to effect other parts of time. Time.
So the Temporal Agents may have given Old Spock the TARDIS because it would have taken a bit for the changes Nero made to ripple up a century to the point where Old Spock left.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:08 AM   #53
DaveyNY
Commodore

You and me both. I, too, think Orci was just trying to appease the Trek fans who worry about the look of the Enterprise etc. But of course that is merely speculation on my part.

Sorry, I know it's terribly terribly smartass to correct someone's spelling, but shouldn't it be to the God of Trek's ears?

I'm hoping there's more than One Trek God to rely on...
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
Old March 9 2009, 04:11 AM   #54
M
Vice Admiral

I'm hoping there's more than One Trek God to rely on...
Wouldn't be correct either. Then it should say to the Gods of Trek's ears.

Or am I entirely mistaken?
Old March 9 2009, 04:11 AM   #55
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post

And then there's the entire "Temporal Cold War" which may or may not have happened
This may be *part* of the TCW. Who knows, Daniels' group may yet send operatives back to prevent Nero's birth or something.
Quite possible considering that (it was stated by Daniels) changes in the timeline do not have an immediate impact on the future, it takes time for the changes in time to effect other parts of time. Time.
So the Temporal Agents may have given Old Spock the TARDIS because it would have taken a bit for the changes Nero made to ripple up a century to the point where Old Spock left.
But apparently it doesn't work that way in ST XI. Nero's meddling in the past does not erase the original timeline he came from.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:18 AM   #56
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

You're not mistaken, and your English is still just fine.

Meanwhile, back at "did Enterprise happen... "
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:19 AM   #57
SG-17
Commodore

Hmm.... Maybe it took a while for the new universe created by time travel to "unfold" and because the Temporal Cold War was...... ugh.... Just blow it up.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 04:23 AM   #58
M
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Thanks.

Sorry. I get the drift.

Ahem, ... well yes, I think Enterprise did happen. At least I hope it did. I mean, what with all the money I spent for the ENT DVDs? What if they're all really empty?!
Old March 9 2009, 04:25 AM   #59
DaveyNY
Commodore

...sounds like the start of a bad joke to me...
Old March 9 2009, 04:27 AM   #60
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

...sounds like the start of a bad joke to me...
As long as the subject is "Enterprise" someone will be along to make one soon...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote