Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 4 2012, 03:35 AM   #106
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: VRML TOS Enterprise

BrookeStephen wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
@BrookeStephen - It looks very good. If I may make a suggestion, the top of the power unit is more open. You can see light spilling in from the top in the screen shots for "The Enemy Within". Are you making your plans based on FJ's blueprints?
Hey there;
I've used FJ's blueprints for the ship, but small components such as this unit aren't pictured in detail. Yes, I know about the top being open - saw in "Court Martial" episode, just how they can be lit from above. I pulled many stills off the episodes and found one pic of the desktop model of the original TV soundstage, where the top of this unit is visible - seems to be the right shape - maybe the hole at the top is alittle smaller than it should be... can you find the desktop model of the soundstage and tell me what you think?

Thanks in advance!
Are you referring to the one that was used for blocking shots and planning?

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...at-desilu.html

It's a start, but as with paper models they might not be accurate on all the details, including the opening of those power units.

In "The Naked Time" you can see pretty clearly how far it is open by where the light is spilling in and the softly lit interior of the power unit.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...timehd1022.jpg

But, I've also seen the interior top completely dark in "The Enemy Within" on one of the units either due to lack of overhead lighting or a covered top so you could say that top piece might be retractable Or split the difference and have one of the two units open top and the other closed
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 01:58 PM   #107
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

@BrookeStephen - It looks very good. If I may make a suggestion, the top of the power unit is more open. You can see light spilling in from the top in the screen shots for "The Enemy Within". Are you making your plans based on FJ's blueprints?
Hey there;
I've used FJ's blueprints for the ship, but small components such as this unit aren't pictured in detail. Yes, I know about the top being open - saw in "Court Martial" episode, just how they can be lit from above. I pulled many stills off the episodes and found one pic of the desktop model of the original TV soundstage, where the top of this unit is visible - seems to be the right shape - maybe the hole at the top is alittle smaller than it should be... can you find the desktop model of the soundstage and tell me what you think?

Thanks in advance!
Are you referring to the one that was used for blocking shots and planning?

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...at-desilu.html

It's a start, but as with paper models they might not be accurate on all the details, including the opening of those power units.

In "The Naked Time" you can see pretty clearly how far it is open by where the light is spilling in and the softly lit interior of the power unit.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...timehd1022.jpg

But, I've also seen the interior top completely dark in "The Enemy Within" on one of the units either due to lack of overhead lighting or a covered top so you could say that top piece might be retractable Or split the difference and have one of the two units open top and the other closed
Thanks for the advice - you found the pics of the soundstage model - in several of the pics, from overhead, you can see the engineering area, and the two stand-by power units from above, and you can see the darker blue, which means there is a hole in the top of that model... it's rather large...
It doesn't have to be a big hole to let light hit the blue drum from above... but in Court Martial, they used a red light, placed just behind the huge crossbar to some effect.
I'll try making the hole bigger...

FYI - the naked time jpg isn't public, so I can't see it!
BrookeStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 01:26 AM   #108
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

I've also put alittle time into making a parametric model of the TOS Shuttlecraft.
As a parametric model, written in Visual Basic, and sofar using almost 60 parameters, if I change one parm, the rest of the model reshapes itself to adapt.

My favorite bit is the exhaust cowl and nozzles... took a while...
the VB program is almost 100 pages of text long.
Old June 7 2012, 02:06 PM   #109
blssdwlf
Commodore

Thanks for the advice - you found the pics of the soundstage model - in several of the pics, from overhead, you can see the engineering area, and the two stand-by power units from above, and you can see the darker blue, which means there is a hole in the top of that model... it's rather large...
It doesn't have to be a big hole to let light hit the blue drum from above... but in Court Martial, they used a red light, placed just behind the huge crossbar to some effect.

That's odd about the screen cap, Trekcore isn't blocking me from seeing it. Worse case, you can just go the page on Trekcore and click on the image in the middle column, second row from the bottom.

As far as I can tell, the opening starts at the front crossbar and continues on to the back crossbar of the device. But, I think it could be said that is true for one of the machines and the 2nd machine could be partially or completely closed at the top.

Good luck!
Old June 7 2012, 08:40 PM   #110
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

That's odd about the screen cap, Trekcore isn't blocking me from seeing it. Worse case, you can just go the page on Trekcore and click on the image in the middle column, second row from the bottom.

As far as I can tell, the opening starts at the front crossbar and continues on to the back crossbar of the device. But, I think it could be said that is true for one of the machines and the 2nd machine could be partially or completely closed at the top.

Good luck!
Hey there;
I was able to get to the Trekcore (never been there before!) to see the pic - should be able to use trig and figure out the size of the hole just from the light path and reflection...

Still can't get to your other pic - says I'm not authorized... and I'm logged in here this time, for sure! Is it possible that it's only for americans to view? I'm in Canada. I've seen that before...
Old June 17 2012, 04:33 PM   #111
blssdwlf
Commodore

@BrookeStephen,

I wouldn't worry too much about the direct link to the image since you can now get to the gallery itself. Good luck making it all work!
Old June 18 2012, 08:40 AM   #112
WinstonSmith
Lieutenant Commander

FYI, trekcore has an issue with hotlinking (understandably as they don't want people stealing their bandwidth). If you've clicked on an image from an internal link you'll be able to see it (including from future external links, cause it'll be cached in your browser), but if you're trying to access it from 'outside' it'll give you that error page. Try refreshing the 'forbidden' page or copying the link address into a new tab if you can't find the image in the gallery (in future that is).
WinstonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:10 AM   #113
imagineer
Cadet

I want to get your VRML files.
imagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 08:00 AM   #114
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

Well, Happy New Year everyone!
I'm in my last semester at Humber College Toronto Canada,
and I've put up the VRML files on my school server,
for everyone to try out.

Please note that they are from an earlier version, but
they are really fun to walk around in!!!

Go to this link to start.
You will first download the renderer
(BitManagement's product BS Contact)
then follow the link to the VRML files!

Please let me know what you think of the model,
any issues you have, anything you like!

Follow this link.
Stephen
Old January 8 2014, 05:53 PM   #115
-SS-
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to -SS-

All I can see are the nacelles and pylons... is there supposed to be more?
Old January 8 2014, 06:19 PM   #116
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

-SS- wrote: View Post
All I can see are the nacelles and pylons... is there supposed to be more?
Hi there!
You can right-click to see the keyboard shortcuts and options.
First thing I do when the model has finished loading is [ESC] key to get some distance and see the whole model.
Then I ctrl-shft-e to rotate the model and see it from all angles.
Next I want to pick a place that gravity can drop me on somewhere on the model, and when its below my point of view, think up and down, then I ctrl-shift-w to drop me on the model and then walk around - up/down stairs etc - of ctrl-shift-f to fly over and thru the model using the mouse to manage the speed and yaw and the mouse wheel for the pitch...

Thanks for trying it out... You could post some pics so more people will try this out!

Thanks!
Old January 8 2014, 08:40 PM   #117
-SS-
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to -SS-

I've figured the controls out, but the only parts of the model that load are the nacelles.

Old January 12 2014, 05:32 PM   #118
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

-SS- wrote: View Post
I've figured the controls out, but the only parts of the model that load are the nacelles.

Sorry Kiddo!!
Here's the thing... going to school, not alot of free time... Anyways, this seems to NOT work with Firefox... sorry!!!

Nice Nacelles, though, eh?