Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Ourselves Alone"
"I'll be back." (Excellent) 12 25.53%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 21 44.68%
"Thank you for explaining" (Average) 11 23.40%
"I don't know if we can win this war." (Below Average) 2 4.26%
"You are terminated." (Poor) 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7 2009, 11:12 PM   #76
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: Terminator-217 "Ourselves Alone" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Mr Light wrote: View Post
^^ "She's probably smarter, and more able to integrate in human society, than your average T888. " Which would explain her monotone robotic personality But seriously why the hell was she so human and charming in her introduction scene in the pilot and then a frickin' robot after that even when she needed to appear human?
We've seen her go back into infiltration mode as needed on the show though. A good example is during the field trip in Season One where she goes back into innocent teenage girl mode in order to manipulate her teacher.
Old March 7 2009, 11:56 PM   #77
witchie
Commodore

For all Derek's training, I'm surprised he hasn't figured out something isn't quite right about Jessie. He's suspicious of everyone. He killed Andy and he knew FutureAndy was his friend.

I don't think Jesse's doing any of this for John. She seems to hate him and Sarah. Maybe she hooked up with Skynet to get rid of John, hoping that would stave off the worst of Judgment Day. I just have a hard time assigning any kind of altruistic motives to that annoying woman.
witchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 12:28 AM   #78
Wouter2
Captain

witchie wrote: View Post
For all Derek's training, I'm surprised he hasn't figured out something isn't quite right about Jessie. He's suspicious of everyone. He killed Andy and he knew FutureAndy was his friend.

I don't think Jesse's doing any of this for John. She seems to hate him and Sarah. Maybe she hooked up with Skynet to get rid of John, hoping that would stave off the worst of Judgment Day. I just have a hard time assigning any kind of altruistic motives to that annoying woman.
The next episode (a 2-parter, actually) will no doubt give us insight into Jesse's motive (it is - partially - set on the nuclear sub Jesse was on, in the future). I guess we will understand here after that, to some degree (though she remains a cold killer). I doubt she is working for Skynet, but we'll see.
Wouter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 12:31 AM   #79
flux_29
Commodore

cool.

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
flux_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 12:34 AM   #80
Nociod
Fleet Captain

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Nociod wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Yes. We've seen Cameron in a bikini without any damage since the pilot.
Well, actually, we haven't.
Actually we saw her in The Turk walking across frame in her bra and panties as John and Sarah were talking about the photos from the Resistance Safehouse.
Must have forgotten about that, so guess we have seen her.
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 12:42 AM   #81
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I doesn't bother me that Sarah didn't guess Riley was a time traveler. Confronted with evidence that Riley knows something about Judgment Day, which scenario sounds most plausible:

1) My teenage son opened up to his girlfriend.

2) The girlfriend is a time-traveler with a secret agenda.

Occam's razor kind of points towards a teenage boy talking too much to his girlfriend.
Old March 8 2009, 01:01 AM   #82
Wouter2
Captain

Exactly. And Cameron likely wasn't told (afraid as John and Sarah were about what she would do with Riley), whereas John ... I think he knew for 90% certain and was waiting for Riley to confess.
Wouter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 02:00 AM   #83
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I doesn't bother me that Sarah didn't guess Riley was a time traveler. Confronted with evidence that Riley knows something about Judgment Day, which scenario sounds most plausible:

1) My teenage son opened up to his girlfriend.

2) The girlfriend is a time-traveler with a secret agenda.

Occam's razor kind of points towards a teenage boy talking too much to his girlfriend.
Given how open teenage boys are about their feelings and how common time travelers with secret agendas are getting to be, the second actually sounds more plausible.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:38 AM   #84
nx1701g
Admiral

Wouter2 wrote: View Post
Exactly. And Cameron likely wasn't told (afraid as John and Sarah were about what she would do with Riley), whereas John ... I think he knew for 90% certain and was waiting for Riley to confess.
I think if Cameron had known about Riley's future war origins she wouldn't have hesitated.
Old March 8 2009, 04:02 AM   #85
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

If Cameron knew about that then Riley would live long enough to enjoy some of Cameron's Jack Bauer Interrogation Techniques. At that point, the need for intel on her plans and her accomplices would outweigh the danger of someone finding a horrifically mutilated girl tied up in their basement.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:02 AM   #86
cbspock
Rear Admiral

This show seems to have lost focus. The first season was much better.

-Chris
Old March 8 2009, 07:17 AM   #87
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
This show seems to have lost focus. The first season was much better.
Agreed.

I remember thinking, "There's no way Terminator will work as a t.v. series."

And yet season one was so tight, and it really felt like they nailed the Terminator tone.

Now, there's no urgency. Just a group of people taking their sweet time trailing people who seem to have little or nothing to do with Skynet.

They need to up the tension and increase the urgency. Quick.
Old March 8 2009, 08:20 AM   #88
nx1701g
Admiral

Truth is I agree to what's been said about Season Two not being as good, but I also disagree with it.

If we had a series where every lead panned out and had something to do with Skynet each of us has to admit we'd be pretty bored by it. It'd be more formulaic if everyone had something to do with Skynet rather than what we've been getting (some involved, some dead leads, and some just plain out not anything related to it).

The problem with comparing the first and second seasons is that they had to do a lot in the first season very quickly. The producers knew that the strike was coming so they had to put together a storyline that was going to fill the needs of the show and would keep people interested. The first season was shorter - nine were filmed with 13 planned for - whereas season two is a full 22 episode run. It goes back to what I said a few minutes ago. If every source panned out as true it'd get even more boring and Skynet would already be destroyed. In character its still two years until Judgment Day (which means two more seasons if they wanted).

Plus they're doing something that none of the films had a chance to do: exploring the terminator and their actions. Cameron is, in many respects, what the T-800 in T2 was on the verge of becoming. As said elsewhere in this thread Cameron's program may be at odds with itself because she's starting to learn the value of human life, but knows she has to kill threats to John.

A good many of the problems stem from studio interference. The stand alone episodes with only minor arc progression were demanded by Fox if they were to air season two because they wanted people to not have to worry about missing an episode and being lost. The budget was cut to an extent between seasons one and two. Riley was ordered by Fox because they wanted a love interest for John, but they never imagined people wouldn't take to her.

I agree though that the Riley subplot and the Jesse subplots have been pretty boring and detracted from the show. However, I think that Jesse's true mission will be interesting when we find out what it is. Personally, I think that she's not working for the Resistance but that's just my theory.

But I do agree, to an extent, but I also disagree, to an extent.
Old March 8 2009, 08:53 AM   #89
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

I'm 110% sure that Jesse is AWOL, as was hinted at when she first showed up.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:12 PM   #90
Forbin
Admiral

dru wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
I don't think the writers bothered to even check the laws when they wrote that scene. Nobody needs a carry permit to keep a gun in their own home.
The question Jesse posed to Sarah was about a "concealed carry" permit and not just gun ownership. Try to pay attention before dissing the writers.
Jesse? I was talking about the child welfare lady who came to the house to interview them, which wasn't Jesse. She asked if Sarah carried the gun outside the house, for which she'd need a concealed carry permit. Sarah didn't actually answer that question, she deflected. Try to pay attention before dissing the poster.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote