Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7 2009, 09:58 PM   #121
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

middyseafort wrote: View Post
The great thing about nuBSG is that it allows a character like Adama to break down and cry. How many other SF-TV shows would allow their lead, commanding officer-type cry and have an emotional breakdown?
Not a whole lot. And yet we still all talk about how tough Adama is. They really did an awesome job putting his character together. Adama is the man!
Old March 7 2009, 10:06 PM   #122
steveman
Fleet Captain

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
People have complained about Adama becoming something of an emotional basket case lately. I, for one, give him a pass. Everyone has their breaking point. The back half of season four has shown us that maybe the Old Man has reached his. I prefer Adama being this way. I think it's more realistic. And it's pretty damn scary, too. What do you do when the man who's traditionally been the rock of the fleet starts breaking down?
The great thing about nuBSG is that it allows a character like Adama to break down and cry. How many other SF-TV shows would allow their lead, commanding officer-type cry and have an emotional breakdown?
Not to nit-pick, but that was actually me you quoted, though Robert Maxwell did post an insightful response to what I said.

You pose a good question. It's funny, because the only other show that's really let the audience see their lead break down and cry was TNG with Picard in "Family."

Coincidentally, that episode was written by... you guessed it: Ronald D. Moore.
Old March 7 2009, 10:13 PM   #123
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who teared up when Adama broke down in painting the Wall?

Possibly. My reaction was "what? He's breaking down AGAIN?!? Oh come on!"

Yes, under stress like that people would probably have regular relapses and break down. But seriously, how many times have we seen Adama do that now?

And enough with Adama blaming God or the gods about their plight. A lot of the fleet's suffering has been the direct result of his and Roslyn's missteps. Own up to your own mistakes, man. Yes Earth was a radioactive waste but that doesn't excuse the inept leadership and power vacuum we saw a few episodes ago that lead to the mutiny.
Agreed. Adama breaking down at the drop of a hat isn't compelling anymore. It's repetative. It does work when the character is doing it on a weekly basis.

Agreed also on Adama not owning up to his own mistakes and going into self-pitying. I really wish Lee would have slapped the drink out of his hand during that scene. Adama's drama queen antics are getting tiresome.
Old March 7 2009, 10:17 PM   #124
RoJoHen
Awesome

DarthPipes wrote: View Post

Yes, under stress like that people would probably have regular relapses and break down. But seriously, how many times have we seen Adama do that now?

And enough with Adama blaming God or the gods about their plight. A lot of the fleet's suffering has been the direct result of his and Roslyn's missteps. Own up to your own mistakes, man. Yes Earth was a radioactive waste but that doesn't excuse the inept leadership and power vacuum we saw a few episodes ago that lead to the mutiny.
Agreed. Adama breaking down at the drop of a hat isn't compelling anymore. It's repetative. It does work when the character is doing it on a weekly basis.
I'm blaming it more on the booze these days than anything. He's cracking up the way Saul used to get super angry when he was drunk all the time.
Old March 7 2009, 10:35 PM   #125
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

^ See, in that sense it does make sense. When you fall in real life you have more than one time up and down the emotional ladder.

Guess with my fiction I want something different? I don't know. I mean it's good. I enjoy the show. I'm just leaning a little more toward the camp that's been complaining about filler. This close to the end let's start wrapping up in style, not continuing to wallow in self pity.

Someone a page or two back mentioned in a sarcastic tone (at least I took it as such) that "how convenient" it was the Cylons had a homeworld. Well, why wouldn't they? I've always assumed they had a homeworld. I just assumed it was a physical planet somewhere and not a mobile home.
Old March 7 2009, 10:43 PM   #126
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

steveman wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
People have complained about Adama becoming something of an emotional basket case lately. I, for one, give him a pass. Everyone has their breaking point. The back half of season four has shown us that maybe the Old Man has reached his. I prefer Adama being this way. I think it's more realistic. And it's pretty damn scary, too. What do you do when the man who's traditionally been the rock of the fleet starts breaking down?
Not to nit-pick, but that was actually me you quoted, though Robert Maxwell did post an insightful response to what I said.
Oops. My bad... sorry.
Old March 7 2009, 10:47 PM   #127
sidious618
Admiral

They've mentioned before that they have a homeworld/base.

As for the idea that more should be resolved: What exactly needs to be resolved? What Starbuck is and the song's meaning is coming into play already. We could get the answers pretty swiftly and quietly in "Daybreak," it's not like they need to spend episodes upon episodes on the topic.

I think people expect some sort of massive turnaround. It ain't coming. They're screwed. We are watching them slide down into oblivion. Roslin will die. Galactica will break apart. The crew is split and will remain so. Things are still tough. "Daybreak" won't magically fix this. We're not heading to a happy Voygeresque "We did it" ending.
Old March 7 2009, 11:02 PM   #128
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Agreed.
Old March 7 2009, 11:02 PM   #129
Gregsmack
Captain

Originally Posted by sidious618

As for the idea that more should be resolved: What exactly needs to be resolved? What Starbuck is and the song's meaning is coming into play already. We could get the answers pretty swiftly and quietly in "Daybreak," it's not like they need to spend episodes upon episodes on the topic.

I think people expect some sort of massive turnaround. It ain't coming. They're screwed. We are watching them slide down into oblivion. Roslin will die. Galactica will break apart. The crew is split and will remain so. Things are still tough. "Daybreak" won't magically fix this. We're not heading to a happy Voygeresque "We did it" ending.
100% agree. I am also not sure exactly what people want "wrapped up". The plot is, basically, find a habitable planet before the fleet runs out of resources. It's very simple, actually. The beauty of the series, in my opinion, is that even with a bare bones plot, the real meat of the show is the inner-workings of the fleet and the characters involved.

Those looking for a happy ending will be disappointed. After all the series as taken its audience through, who can say with a straight face that they ACTUALLY expect a happy ending of any sort?
Old March 7 2009, 11:06 PM   #130
sidious618
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote:

Agreed.
I don't know. Not all that many. Once in Revelations he had a breakdown. He went crazy in SAGN but he wasn't sobbing and that seems to be the thing people have a problem with. Then he got upset again in this one, right? He's not doing that bad all things considered.
Old March 7 2009, 11:49 PM   #131
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Tahmoh Penikett probably deserves an Emmy nomination. That scene with him and Edward James Olmos was - well played. It got me.

Old March 7 2009, 11:55 PM   #132
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

The Maureen Ryan column reminded me of something. Anyone notice the rambnigs of Sam in Hybrid mode with his "there's a hole in the bucket dear liza" line?

A reference to the Galactica's damage but not blatantly obvious.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old March 8 2009, 12:26 AM   #133
sidious618
Admiral

Caretaker wrote: View Post
Tahmoh Penikett probably deserves an Emmy nomination. That scene with him and Edward James Olmos was - well played. It got me.
I've never been overly impressed with Penikett only because the character is so steady that he never had to stretch much. That scene was ace, though, and he was great. I don't know about an Emmy but it was really good.
Old March 8 2009, 12:29 AM   #134
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
The Maureen Ryan column reminded me of something. Anyone notice the rambnigs of Sam in Hybrid mode with his "there's a hole in the bucket dear liza" line?

A reference to the Galactica's damage but not blatantly obvious.
yeah, I thought that was funny.
Old March 8 2009, 12:37 AM   #135
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote:

Agreed.
I don't know. Not all that many. Once in Revelations he had a breakdown. He went crazy in SAGN but he wasn't sobbing and that seems to be the thing people have a problem with. Then he got upset again in this one, right? He's not doing that bad all things considered.
Adama at his worse was probably in Hero, where he started crying because he thought that sending a spy ship two clicks inside the Cylon border that triggered the war. That led to his biggest drama queen moment when he attempted to resign his post and Roslin had to lecture him like a little child not to.