Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7 2009, 08:04 PM   #106
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

flux_29 wrote: View Post
I wonder what cavil mean't by hera will soon have lots of "playmates"?
I dunno, but it sounded really perverted in some way. Gave me some chills.
Old March 7 2009, 08:05 PM   #107
Lookingglassman
Admiral

It was pretty good. I hope Baltar dies a painful death. What he did to Starbuck was plain wrong.

Next week's episode sounds pretty good. Hopefully we will see some battles soon.
Old March 7 2009, 08:31 PM   #108
Aragorn
Admiral

One of the Cavil models calls himself Hefner.
Old March 7 2009, 08:34 PM   #109
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

steveman wrote: View Post
Very poignant scene. Sad because he knew there was nothing he could do to save his ship.

People have complained about Adama becoming something of an emotional basket case lately. I, for one, give him a pass. Everyone has their breaking point. The back half of season four has shown us that maybe the Old Man has reached his. I prefer Adama being this way. I think it's more realistic. And it's pretty damn scary, too. What do you do when the man who's traditionally been the rock of the fleet starts breaking down?

Also, his greater fragility parallels nicely with how the same thing is happening to his ship.
I absolutely agree. The last five minutes with Adama were very moving. I like this Adama that we're seeing; he's a broken man and all the more realistic for it. The scene between him and Helo where Helo said, "You can't let it go. The ship is dead!" hit me hard. Great stuff.
Old March 7 2009, 08:51 PM   #110
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Most of you are familiar with Maureen Ryan so here is her review which I agree with: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....tars.html#more

I think she hits it on the head. Alan Sepinwall got it good over at his site as well.
Old March 7 2009, 08:51 PM   #111
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Long-term planning isn't necessary for a solid storyline to be achieved. DS9 did a lot of its stuff on the fly and you couldn't tell.
You could tell with DS9, especially in it's final season. And that series, imo, worked better when it told smaller stories around a few characters like "In Pale Moonlight" and failed at it's mythology arcs (The Emissary, The Prophets, The Dominion, etc.).

And as you wrote, BSG works better around its character moments.

I think being open to unexpected possibilities is a good thing; however, I also think that having at least a vague notion of where you are headed with something is also a good thing.

In the case of certain mythologies of the series, I felt they should have dealt with them sooner than later and allow whatever resolution -- and I use that loosely -- led into a new set of questions or problems for the storyline. On the whole, the writers have given us an entertaining and compelling series. But they've also allowed certain things to go on far too long to the point where it became uninteresting and hampered character development (Starbuck, imo).

But it's a hard call and it's a hard thing to do. Some shows do it better. Some novelist do it better. Aye, there's the rub!
Old March 7 2009, 09:07 PM   #112
jolau
Captain

Seriously, I think he's planning on using Hera as a new Cylon model.

-Sarah Mclachlan
Old March 7 2009, 09:10 PM   #113
Rii
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
Rii wrote: View Post

Yeah, slapping doesn't really seem like Kara's style, I guess she has changed.
I think slapping conveys a much deeper emotional pain than just punching somebody, which conveys being pissed off in the moment and nothing more.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. She'll punch someone to prove she's tougher, that she's pissed, etc. But I think she was deeply hurt by Baltar outing her, and the slap was meant to convey that. She opened up to him despite their history and he used it to score a religious point. She had a right to be upset and hurt, for sure, not simply angry.
I'd add that I don't think Baltar intended to hurt Kara in that way. It likely didn't even occur to him that she would want her status kept private, he's too wrapped up in his own affairs to consider such things. So far as he's concerned she brought him proof of her status to bolster his sermons. Certainly he appeared somewhat disconcerted following the slap.
Old March 7 2009, 09:35 PM   #114
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

steveman wrote: View Post
Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who teared up when Adama broke down in painting the Wall?
Very poignant scene. Sad because he knew there was nothing he could do to save his ship.

People have complained about Adama becoming something of an emotional basket case lately. I, for one, give him a pass. Everyone has their breaking point. The back half of season four has shown us that maybe the Old Man has reached his. I prefer Adama being this way. I think it's more realistic. And it's pretty damn scary, too. What do you do when the man who's traditionally been the rock of the fleet starts breaking down?

Also, his greater fragility parallels nicely with how the same thing is happening to his ship.
I commented to my friend who was watching the show with me, "Man, Adama sure has been crying a lot lately." He's always had to be the rock, the role model, and he's just at his wits' end. "I've had it up to here with destiny. Look where it's left us, the ass end of nowhere." This is just one situation that's completely out of his control. He feels like he's losing everything that matters. What does he have left to look forward to? Laura's death? Scuttling the ship? A disgruntled civilian or crewman putting a bullet in his head? I thought it was very touching, the way Roslin tried to tell him about being "home." She has a much clearer perspective on things.

In the end, episodes like this are what I watch BSG for. No, it's not packed full of revelations or cunning plot twists--that's just not what the show is about.

I hope we get some answers in the finale but I wouldn't expect everything to be sorted out by the end credits of "Daybreak II." I would expect the characters to get some closure but hardly for all the big mysteries to be concretely solved.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Old March 7 2009, 09:48 PM   #115
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The great thing about nuBSG is that it allows a character like Adama to break down and cry. How many other SF-TV shows would allow their lead, commanding officer-type cry and have an emotional breakdown?
Old March 7 2009, 09:50 PM   #116
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

This episode reminded me a lot of A Disquiet Follows my Soul, and both of them just scraped an Excellent from me.

The storytelling was discordant in both episodes and focused on character and not plot, but I felt that worked in both episodes because they are about things falling apart, in this case it is Galactica itself. It didn't work as well as last week's episode but I enjoyed watching it.

And in the same way that Disquiet was a calm before the storm of the mutiny, I'm hoping this episode is the calm set-up for episodes just as awesome as the mutiny was.
Old March 7 2009, 09:52 PM   #117
Aragorn
Admiral

So when they go on their suicide mission, will Adama order all the mutineers to be their front line infantry?
Old March 7 2009, 09:55 PM   #118
Hermiod
Admiral

^Actually, I think that's a good idea. Adama clears the ship and takes a crew made up of volunteers from the mutineers. They wanted to fight the Cylons, now's their chance but it's a one-way trip.
Old March 7 2009, 09:56 PM   #119
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I hope Baltar dies a painful death. What he did to Starbuck was plain wrong.
Oh, worthy of a painful death for sure.

---------------
Old March 7 2009, 09:56 PM   #120
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who teared up when Adama broke down in painting the Wall?

Possibly. My reaction was "what? He's breaking down AGAIN?!? Oh come on!"

Yes, under stress like that people would probably have regular relapses and break down. But seriously, how many times have we seen Adama do that now?

And enough with Adama blaming God or the gods about their plight. A lot of the fleet's suffering has been the direct result of his and Roslyn's missteps. Own up to your own mistakes, man. Yes Earth was a radioactive waste but that doesn't excuse the inept leadership and power vacuum we saw a few episodes ago that lead to the mutiny.