Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7 2009, 07:05 PM   #91
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

It's becoming clear that "filler" means "anything besides hitting plot points." In other words, filler = most of what makes fiction worth the time to absorb it.
Old March 7 2009, 07:11 PM   #92
Gregsmack
Captain

I truly wish that one day there could be a forum in which a thread dedicated to a specific episode can maintain thoughtful discussion of said episode without devolving into juvenile arguments about what is 'filler' or 'not filler' -- whatever the fuck 'filler' means in the first place. Is this really the only response some people have to these episodes?
Old March 7 2009, 07:13 PM   #93
Rii
Rear Admiral

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
I was surprise that Starbuck slapped Baltar i thought she would have at least have puched him life after death must calm you down.
Yeah, slapping doesn't really seem like Kara's style, I guess she has changed.
Old March 7 2009, 07:16 PM   #94
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Temis, I have to say that a lot of your rants the last few weeks have been dead on. I love BSG but the lack of pre-planning the storyline has hurt the show a lot. Agreed too about the Adama hysterics. He's played the drama queen too many times with his crying in order for it to be effective. This past season has been Adama curling up into a ball and sobbing.

I'm pretty sure they could.
Its just that they don't want to, because they chose a different approach to storytelling.
This show is NOT Lost. Nor did it ever want to be.
BSG could have learned a lot from Lost. It took Lost quite a while but it's getting stronger as it goes on and I can definitely see the writers had a plan all along. Unlike the Cylons and especially unlike the BSG writing staff. They had themes they wanted to explore with BSG. God, war, genocide, religion, torture, survival, etc. But the long-term planning has been simply awful. Once they started exploring the Cylons in detail, they completely fell apart as characters. The writers never knew what the hell the Cylons wanted to be and their "plan" constantly shifted. Let's destroy humanity. No, let's rule humanity. Frak that, let's go to Earth! Frak that, let's wipe em all out!!!
Old March 7 2009, 07:18 PM   #95
Gregsmack
Captain

Rii wrote: View Post
I was surprise that Starbuck slapped Baltar i thought she would have at least have puched him life after death must calm you down.
I was thinking the same thing. But if she flat out clocked the guy it probably would have come off more funny than anything. Plus, I figure the slap is more to shame him than anything -- although that in itself is slightly odd for someone like Kara, who only 10 minutes before seemed to get a slight kick out of urinating (and wiping! ) in the open.
Old March 7 2009, 07:19 PM   #96
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I think slapping conveys a much deeper emotional pain than just punching somebody, which conveys being pissed off in the moment and nothing more.
Old March 7 2009, 07:20 PM   #97
arch101
Fleet Captain

At least we didn't get a Ferengi show 3 eps from the end. What a boat anchor THAT was.
Old March 7 2009, 07:36 PM   #98
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Above average:

The character beats worked so much better for me here than in the previous episode with Starbuck and her hallucinatory father. Hell, I even liked the Starbuck on the can moment. Any moment with Baltar in the head is just pure gold.

My favorite line: "Destiny... I've had it up to hear with destiny. What has destiny got us? The ass-end of nowhere."
Old March 7 2009, 07:43 PM   #99
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

RegentWorf wrote: View Post
Oh yeah I totally loved nü Starbuck putting the picture of old Starbuck on the memory wall. I found it very poignant. Even though we still don't know what she is.

i am getting the feeling she resurrected wherever the five did.
and somehow cavill came across some info that led him to it first.
so when she arrived there he programmed her to lead everyone to the dead planet.
Old March 7 2009, 07:48 PM   #100
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
I think slapping conveys a much deeper emotional pain than just punching somebody, which conveys being pissed off in the moment and nothing more.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. She'll punch someone to prove she's tougher, that she's pissed, etc. But I think she was deeply hurt by Baltar outing her, and the slap was meant to convey that. She opened up to him despite their history and he used it to score a religious point. She had a right to be upset and hurt, for sure, not simply angry.
Old March 7 2009, 07:49 PM   #101
Gregsmack
Captain

A very basic point-by-point mini review (for those interested, there will not be a single occurrence of the phrases 'should have been,' 'pre-planned,' or 'filler ep'):

- A good episode that captured the chaos from the aftermath of last week's conclusion. I really liked seeing and hearing Galactica's collapse.

- Although the jury is still out for me on Kara's 'destiny' I liked how it was handled here. It worked into Baltar's story rather gracefully. I'm not sure if I find his broadcasts inspiring or absurd, but for the moment they seem to be working well in how they affect both him and the fleet.

- I like that the Quorum is vying for Galactica's parts. In all the mysticism being tossed around (another aspect that for me the jury remains out on) this is one of the pragmatic realities that originally attracted me to the series. Further, I also like Adama's final decision to abandon ship. There's something very dramatically satisfying to me about this concession.

- I DID NOT like the opening sequence involving the nameless mechanic, the Six, and the relentless vacuum of space. Was this selfless display of sacrifice and heroism really necessary? I felt it was a well-executed disaster scene undermined by a bit of staged silliness.

- I'm on the fence about Boomer's scenes with Hera, particularly the ending with Hera behind the curtain wailing for Boomer as Boomer cries a river. Slightly heavy-handed. I feel like it was just a variation of scene I've watched countless times before. There are times when I think this series doesn't have faith enough in its viewers to recognize the stakes at hand without being strong armed into it. (Also: I hope that Boomer doesn't just pull an aboutface and snatch Hera away from Cavil. If this happens, it will drastically reduce my opinion of the psychological mastermind Cavil.)

- What little was seen of Helo and Athena worked well, I thought. Helo's later confrontation with Adama really made him look both desperate and pathetic. I also like the very small beat near the beginning when Adama orders the SAR mission be kept from both Helo and Athena. Given their history, I wouldn't trust them either.

- Adama's scene with Roslin was enjoyable, calling back the also enjoyable scene from 'Unfinished Business'.

- Anders being hooked up like a Hybrid was... something. As with most things, we'll have to see where it goes. Certainly creepy, though. The actor did a great job selling it, I'll give him that.

- My biggest criticism of the episode is the same one I've had of 'Blood on the Scales' and 'Deadlock' and that is that it seemed to have a lot of missing material. I understand this will be one of the episodes to be expanded on DVD, which is something I am completely fine with. In the end, any show lives on in DVD format and I like that the producers will be allowing some of these last episodes to stretch their legs outside of their constricted time slot. (Also: I really thought these episodes were going to get some extra runtime as per some article I read months ago. What the hell happened to this? There are times that I genuinely wish networks would make a slight concession for the good of their product and this is definitely one of those times.)

All this being said, I enjoyed the episode. It was certainly written to segue into the two-part finale and in that sense it did its job. On our very misleading poll I voted 'above average' in that there were some great moments that made the show standout. On retrospect 'average' might have been better considering MOST episodes of BSG are well-made with standout moments. In this case, 'average' is not a bad thing, especially considering that the average episode of BSG that one would see each week is actually quite good.

Last edited by Gregsmack; March 7 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old March 7 2009, 07:50 PM   #102
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
BSG could have learned a lot from Lost. It took Lost quite a while but it's getting stronger as it goes on and I can definitely see the writers had a plan all along. Unlike the Cylons and especially unlike the BSG writing staff. They had themes they wanted to explore with BSG. God, war, genocide, religion, torture, survival, etc. But the long-term planning has been simply awful.
Long-term planning isn't necessary for a solid storyline to be achieved. DS9 did a lot of its stuff on the fly and you couldn't tell.

BSG is obviously more interested in the character stuff and only threw in the mythology to give a bone to fans of that sort of thing. Plot was also secondary on this--no surprise given Moore was never strong on that. Nothing wrong with that though. Just for my personal preference I like a balance of character and plot which a show like Lost provides.

Another issue with BSG is that the writers can't seem to discipline themselves when it comes to fitting material into an episode or a season leading to important scenes deleted and a sense of something in the narrative is missing.

But if you love the characters of course you are going to have fewer complaints about BSG. For me a lot of the character scenes these days aren't compelling. Just putting two characters in a scene and talking doesn't make it dramatic gold. And on the individual characters front, I can't say what Apollo, Baltar, the Final Five, Caprica Six etc have done this season has made their characters interesting or worthwhile.
Once they started exploring the Cylons in detail, they completely fell apart as characters.
The problem with the Cylons is that they never were interesting enough as characters or villians.
Old March 7 2009, 07:57 PM   #103
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

How many episodes are left? 2?
Old March 7 2009, 08:02 PM   #104
flux_29
Commodore

I wonder what cavil mean't by hera will soon have lots of "playmates"?

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
Old March 7 2009, 08:04 PM   #105
steveman
Fleet Captain

Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who teared up when Adama broke down in painting the Wall?
Very poignant scene. Sad because he knew there was nothing he could do to save his ship.

People have complained about Adama becoming something of an emotional basket case lately. I, for one, give him a pass. Everyone has their breaking point. The back half of season four has shown us that maybe the Old Man has reached his. I prefer Adama being this way. I think it's more realistic. And it's pretty damn scary, too. What do you do when the man who's traditionally been the rock of the fleet starts breaking down?

Also, his greater fragility parallels nicely with how the same thing is happening to his ship.