Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old June 19 2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Kchunda
Commander

BSG timeline up to now

Howdy ya'll,

I've been trying to wrap my head around this now that 4.0 is complete. What's the deal with the timeline now?

According to this link we have the following, in order:

1) 13th Tribe leaves Kobol ("in the early years") for Earth & someone builds the Eye of Jupiter/Temple of Five on the Alge planet. . . to communicate/honor the Jealous God and point the way to the Ionian Nebula.

2) 13th Tribe (or someone) leaves the beacon in the Lion Head's Nebula, which is closer to Kobol than the Alge Planet, indicating that this might have been left on the way back from Earth to Kobol. . . with the Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus (LCMV), which is lethal to humans at this time.

3) ""Life here began out there." Pythia records her prophecies about the 13th tribe leaving, how they saw their brothers in the sky, what those constellations look like and what their names are, talks about the flood, talks about the 12 Tribes leaving, death of Athena and her tomb, that Zeus warned about returning to Kobol, and specifics regarding the destruction of the Colonies, the cycle of time, Temple of Aurora on Earth, the Arrow of Apollo and Galactica's journey. . . back to earth. Including that "the new leader suffered a wasting disease and would not live to enter the new land".

4) The 12 tribes leave Kobol, at this point have adopted the Earth constellations' names for each tribe. Athena dies on Kobol and someone creates the tomb and the planetarium/holodeck. We don't know what happens to the rest of the Gods/Lords.

5) Humans develop an immunity to the LCMV virus, which causes lymphocytic encephalitis.

6) 2nd Exodus, Galactica and Cylons find the clues, fulfill the prophecies and clues left by the 13th (or the final cylon, or a higher power(s)). Finally mankind and its children unite and find/return to the home of the 13th Tribe: Earth.

*So if this is roughly correct, then was Pythia a member of the 13th who returned to Kobol?

*There are only 4 of the 5 in the fleet, so does that mean the 5th MIGHT be on Earth, since the 5 come from the home of the 13th?

*Could Pythia be the final cylon, who is "still in shadow, [and] will claw toward the light, hungering for redemption that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering." ?

*Is the redemption desired by the 5th related to the destruction of the home of the 13th?

Any other thoughts/questions on the timeline?
Old June 19 2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: BSG timeline up to now

Kchunda wrote: View Post
Howdy ya'll,
*Could Pythia be the final cylon, who is "still in shadow, [and] will claw toward the light, hungering for redemption that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering." ?
You're assuming that's "our" Starbuck that came back...
Old June 20 2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Kchunda
Commander

^ You're right. She is "watching from far away". . .

So did I get that right - they are implying that somone came back from Earth to write the prophecies 2000 yrs ago AND the 5 are from Earth?
Old June 20 2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Twilight
Vice Admiral

I don't think (1) is correct anymore. I think it's pretty clear that EARTH is the birthplace of man - that we originated here, not Kobol. (Otherwise, if Earth is the 13th colony, how would the symbols for the other 12 colonies be constellations as viewed from Earth?)

So I think it's

1. Nuclear calamity forces a mass Exodus from Earth, our original homeworld

2. We go to Kobol

3. Some sort of calamity forces us to leave Kobol

4. We go to the 12 colonies

5. Nuclear calamity forces exodus, etc etc.

"all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again" and all that ...
Old June 21 2008, 04:52 PM   #5
The Mule
Commodore

interesting theory about Pythia being the final cylon. and i was wondering who might play the character, and suddenly thought of the actress who plays the Hybrid, wouldn't that be a mindfrak?
Old June 21 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Kchunda
Commander

The Mule wrote: View Post
interesting theory about Pythia being the final cylon. and i was wondering who might play the character, and suddenly thought of the actress who plays the Hybrid, wouldn't that be a mindfrak?
Also if it was Lucy Cain

If that timeline is correct Twilight, then perhaps the 13th/original Cylons go back to Earth. Pythia (and maybe the other 4) comes back to Kobol from Earth, left the beacon along the way - because the becon pre-dates the 12 colonies' exodus. . . Shortly thereafter, there's a mass exodus from Kobol.

The 5th is not in the fleet (maybe), and the 5th is looking for redemption.

If the 5 are from the home of the 13th, and they worship one god. . . did they cause the war on Kobol?

Last edited by Kchunda; June 21 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old June 21 2008, 11:06 PM   #7
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Twilight wrote: View Post
I don't think (1) is correct anymore. I think it's pretty clear that EARTH is the birthplace of man - that we originated here, not Kobol. (Otherwise, if Earth is the 13th colony, how would the symbols for the other 12 colonies be constellations as viewed from Earth?)

So I think it's

1. Nuclear calamity forces a mass Exodus from Earth, our original homeworld

2. We go to Kobol

3. Some sort of calamity forces us to leave Kobol

4. We go to the 12 colonies

5. Nuclear calamity forces exodus, etc etc.

"all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again" and all that ...
I agree. Ever since Dualla talked about reuniting the family and children being separated from parents back in Season 2 when she lectured Adama, I've taken it to mean that the Human Family was one before Kobol and on Kobol, then it splintered on Kobol. Then with the ages of the artifacts and Temple of Five, which antedate the Exodus, it's likely that what happened was a calamity on Earth, the birthplace of man, a mass exodus from there to Kobol.

IMO, along the way, they developed AI's/Machines, "Cylons" if you will, probably @ the Temple of Five. Then they arrived on Kobol sometime after. I wouldn't be surprised if these first Cylons were something like the human consciousnesses of the "priests" themselves or maybe the consciousnesses or copies of the brain patterns of the first leaders.

There was a conflict on Kobol, from what we can tell, I think, between the gods and their followers (man) and the One Who Cannot be Named and its followers and maybe between the gods (which I think were the first Cylons) themselves, some of which followed the One Who Cannot be Named.

At any rate, the 13th tribe, which I think was Cylon or mostly Cylon, left for Earth. The rest headed to the Colonies.

Each had it's own nuclear disaster.

IMO, the Five left Earth to find the Colonies, maybe on the assumption that the Colonies were populated by "people" like themselves. Heck, for all we know, the Five may have always thought they were human, having long forgotten they are machines. I've got a feeling they may have evolved into pure data by that point, like transmissions from Earth.

At any rate, they found the Cylons (the ones we know are from the Colonies) or from the Cylon POV, they found them, and each thinking they'd found their lost brothers, they set about giving them the ability to evolve into actual skinjobs.

The first skinjobs turned on the Five and one of them, IMO the Fifth, d'loaded into a body, or if its been around for a really long time, into a new one, and d/loaded the other 4 into theirs and left for the Colonies and hid them and itself there.

Then the other Cylons came back and the cycle of disaster repeated.

Now, I say that about the finding of each other (and each party thinking they'd found "brothers," and yet being mistaken, because, in the Pegasus 3 parter, we saw this happen. Galactica (and older battlestar) and its fleet and Pegasus (a newer battlestar) found each other. At first, there's euphoria. Pegasus resupplies Galactica for a time, but, in short order, the two parties come into conflict. They cooperate for a time, but the leaders plot each others' murders. They stand down, and Cain is murdered by a Cylon (Gina).

We're now seeing something similar happen with the cooperation of Natalie's Cylon faction and Galactica. Athena murdered Natalie. Three has emerged as their new leader. I've got a feeling the cycle may repeat in the back half with Three being murdered by a Cylon, probably the Final Cylon. The alliance is very fragile. If Three was murdered and nobody knew who did it, then that would be a good reason for the two sides to separate yet again.

I wouldn't be surprised, therefore, that something like this happened among the Cylons in the time between the First and Second Cylon Wars, with the Five's group meeting the Bulletheads and the Prime Hybrid as each wandered the stars, the two sides cooperating (resulting in evolution into skinjobs for the Bulletheads and the resources and means to incarnate into new bodies for the Five), but then there was some sort of conflict that made them separate from each other. Maybe that's why Cavil is so adamant about Cylon unity and being separate from the Final Five.

To end the cycle that is repeated in each divided faction, they must all unite in peace. Then they can reclaim the Earth.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Old March 14 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Kchunda
Commander

Sorry to bump an old/dead thread. . . but re-reading some of these thoughts from the end of 4.0 were quite interesting, especially now that we're coming to the end of 4.5. . .

So Pythia was not the 5th Cylon or the hybird nor was she Starbuck (as far as we know). . . My question "Is the redemption desired by the 5th related to the destruction of the home of the 13th?" is kinda answered IMHO. . . They all wanted to stop the cycle of time. . .

The only updates to the timeline are that the final five came to the colonies and ended the 1st war by creating skinjobs, and we know the 13th tribe built the Temple of Hopes praying for guidance to "earth".

So what other outstanding questions are left that are important to you? I understand this list may never be completely answered, and some people might consider the journey to be just as or more important than the destination.

So far, for me I got:

*Who are the people responsible for "pulling the strings", including the prophecies and Starbuck 2.0? The Lords of Kobol?

*What's behind the 3rd party's motivation for doing all this? Are they really trying to bring the whole family or tribes together? Because we're all some form of bio-engineered life forms?

I can't wait to see the finale (and possibly The Plan, depending on how much is left unanswered) and then re-read some of our non-spoiler theories or questions to see if we were at all on the right path - or even where the writers goofed.