Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 27 2009, 08:15 PM   #1
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

Future X-Men projects: A Wolverine-less X-Men...

Would you watch it?

I would.

Thoughts?
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Future X-Men projects: A Wolverine-less X-Men...

Probably, although the title "X-Men Friends of Wolverine: Jubilee" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 08:23 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

After the last X-Men movie, I'm kind of tired of the whole universe. I think I prefer the X-Men with Wolverine involved, but he needs to stop being so important. There are plenty of other characters that have stories to tell.
Old February 27 2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

I'd love if they rebooted from the beginning.

General movie audiences already know the X-Men. They don't need Wolverine to boost the concept....at least not right away.

I'd start with a Prof X. vs. Magneto "origin" movie where they first meet and confront each other. I'd end that movie with each of them starting to form their own teams of mutants.

This team could have the classic lineup (Cyke, Jean, Iceman, Beast, Angel) and maybe I'd do at least one sequel with that lineup. Maybe they could face off against the Brotherhood. Maybe the Sentinels show up at the end and basically capture or kill all of them. This could be the "Empire Strikes Back" of the X-Men.

In the third movie, the Prof has to recruit new X-Men to save/replace the originals. This is when the new "international" team shows up (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus).
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
I'd start with a Prof X. vs. Magneto "origin" movie where they first meet and confront each other.
I think that's kind of what they're planning to do in the Magneto movie, though not in the context of what you're suggesting. (Apparently young Xavier is a soldier in WWII, which means he must be a whole lot older than he looks in the "near future" setting of the first three movies.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 08:28 PM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

^I'd love that, too. I'm mostly familiar with the X-Men from the 90s FOX cartoon, but I'd love it if they tackled the basic, famous stories. Sentinels would be awesome. I also wish they would have done a more accurate version of the Phoenix Saga. What we got in X3 was crap.
Old February 27 2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'd watch it too.

I'd start with a Prof X. vs. Magneto "origin" movie where they first meet and confront each other.
Find a couple good actors with the right looks around 30 years old to take on the roles.

Xavier = Wes Bently

Magneto = Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 09:27 PM   #8
captcalhoun
Admiral

depends who the characters are.

if they go with this 'First Class' thing, with Jean, Cyke, Hank and someone else (doubt it'd be Bobby or Warren), I would.

Banshee? Firestar? Havok? Polaris?

i did kinda get the impression when XM:FC was announced though, that they were doing something featuring the kids seen in X-1 through 3, IE: Iceman, Kitty, Colossus, Rogue, possibly Jubilee etc.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

much as I like Wolverine and Jackman's depiction of him, there are numerous X-Men who haven't been seen on screen or only got fleeting appearances. So there's no reason why a Wolvie-less movie can't be good. I'd go see it, assuming it lived up to the standards of the first two.

Incidentally, if they opted to recast Wolverine, does anyone think John Stamos from ER might be a good choice? Maybe it's just the way he's wearing his hair and sideburns at the minute, but I think if he bulked up, he could make a pretty seamless replacement for Jackman. Ironically enough, he was previously married to the X-movies' Mystique, Rebecca Romjin (formerly Romjin-Stamos).
Old March 2 2009, 11:49 PM   #10
Thrall
Commodore

In a heart beat. I like Singer's movies. They're fun as hell. But they're just Wolverine solo films guest staring The X-Men. Focusing on the other characters would be very welcome indeed. And this time, don't turn Cyclops into a joke.
Old March 3 2009, 12:01 AM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
much as I like Wolverine and Jackman's depiction of him, there are numerous X-Men who haven't been seen on screen or only got fleeting appearances. So there's no reason why a Wolvie-less movie can't be good. I'd go see it, assuming it lived up to the standards of the first two.

Incidentally, if they opted to recast Wolverine, does anyone think John Stamos from ER might be a good choice? Maybe it's just the way he's wearing his hair and sideburns at the minute, but I think if he bulked up, he could make a pretty seamless replacement for Jackman. Ironically enough, he was previously married to the X-movies' Mystique, Rebecca Romjin (formerly Romjin-Stamos).
If they ever did an X-Men TV show, I'd pick Billy Warlock for Wolverine. He's dark, short, has a gruff voice and, like Logan, is seemingly ageless.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 02:57 AM   #12
roguephoenix
Captain

blockaderunner wrote: View Post
Would you watch it?

I would.

Thoughts?
wolvercrap-less x-men? oh hell yea! no screen hog to accomodate that would ruin the story. that would be awesome and what x-men should be!
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 03:40 AM   #13
T'Baio
Admiral

Thrall wrote: View Post
But they're just Wolverine solo films guest staring The X-Men. Focusing on the other characters would be very welcome indeed.
I wouldn't quite say that. Wolverine was the audience identification character. The one who looked in and commented on the ridiculousness of it all, which in turn helps sell the reality. You can't just abandon that in the sequels. The X-Men were seen acting as a team several times in the films, but there often needs to be the main protagonist.

Cyke was criminally underused, though.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 08:36 AM   #14
captcalhoun
Admiral

he saved the day in X-1. but he was criminally underused in 2 and 3.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 11:56 AM   #15
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Personally, I'm waiting for the X-23 movie. Or better yet, NYX.

At the risk of typecasting the poor girl, anyone else think Summer Glau would look good with her own set of claws?
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote