Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 22 2009, 08:53 AM   #1
chrisspringob
Commodore

Think we might still see more humans show up? (Deadlock SPOILERS)

SPOILERS for everything up through "Deadlock"

I don't know any spoilers about future eps, beyond what's in the promos (which haven't given away anything on this topic), but am I alone in wondering if we still might see a bunch of human survivors show up before the end of the series?

I don't know....I'm trying to think of possible curveballs that the writers might throw at us at the end, and this is a fairly obvious one: The RTF thinks they're the only surviving humans, but then another 1 million refugees shows up or something. We saw in "The Farm" that the Cylons had a large number of human test subjects in captivity. Who's to say how many they have in total? Those people could conceivably show up again.

Alternatively, we might find out that there's a huge number of additional skinjob refugees from Earth who show up (they wouldn't exactly be *humans*, but it would similarly shake things up). That might be interesting.......we find that in addition to the Final Five, there was a whole fleet of skinjob survivors that escaped Earth that we didn't know about before, and they join up with Galactica and the rebel Cylon baseship for a massive assault on Cavil's forces. Maybe they jump all the way back to the 12 Colonies to attack Cavil's forces there, and try to retake the colonies. I don't know....just thinking out loud (er...on the keyboard) here....
Old February 22 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Re: Think we might still see more humans show up? (Deadlock SPOILERS)

Well, I'm starting to wonder if the Virtuals are not, in fact, evolved humans from the time of Kobol, and if, in fact, the original 13th tribe - the one first made by man on Kobol, consisted not of pure machines but skinjob bodies into which human consciousnesses were transferred at the point of death as a way of cheating death...in other words, the first Cylons were in fact, a blended race from the beginning and they have now evolved into a form that manifests itself as the Virtuals. They are the 3rd party that's been at work all this time, perhaps...
Old February 22 2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Anders called the Third Party the angels right before the brain surgery.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old February 22 2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Kaijima
Captain

If a military showdown between the RTF and Cavil's forces is in the cards, a 3rd party will have to show up. There's no way the RTF could survive an assault by 8 - 20 fully load baseships on its own.

More Cylons from Earth showing up would be one logical twist though I'm not sure they'll go that route. I'd almost suspect more that there's another Colonial Battlestar (or a few of them) with another RTF out there somewhere. Now here would be an interesting scenario and in line with BSG's dark twist on everything:

Cavil corners the RTF and rebel Baseship and begins to pound them. The head people perhaps, urge someone, say Baltar, to make the RTF begin sending out a Colonial distress signal (this works since the Wireless technology seems to be FTL (tachyon?) communication). In response three or four fully loaded Battlestars show up - they can either be unknowns or, more factors Cavil was keeping secret all along. Perhaps he split part of the Cylon forces and has been fighting a war on two fronts.

So the new Colonial survivors kick the ass of Cavil and end him, then turn on the RTF to discover they're now this disturbing blended Cylon/Human group. The RTF realizes that these other humans have no had their experiences and will still seek to wipe out /any/ Cylons or anything "corrupted" by the Cylons. So the RTF is forced to flee, and finds refuge on a faraway planet - but with the threat hanging over their heads that some day, the Colonial humans who have in fact survived will come for them to nuke them out of existence.

It might explain what happened to Earth - that the 13th Tribe was cast out by the Kobol humans, and perhaps before the other survivors of Kobol settled into the 12 Colonies we saw in the present era, they hunted down and nuked Earth to end the Cylon "threat" forever.

If there was supposed to be a shred of hope in the endless cycle ("but it doesn't have to happena again") it could be that the RTF becomes fully aware of the cycle of time, expects the other Colonial survivors to come after them, and the last thing we see are better defenses being created around their new home. (Earth 2? Earth 3? Terra?) Or some other indication that they were forming a plan to make peace with the other humans before an attack happened.
Old February 23 2009, 12:46 AM   #5
chrisspringob
Commodore

Kaijima wrote: View Post
So the new Colonial survivors kick the ass of Cavil and end him, then turn on the RTF to discover they're now this disturbing blended Cylon/Human group. The RTF realizes that these other humans have no had their experiences and will still seek to wipe out /any/ Cylons or anything "corrupted" by the Cylons. So the RTF is forced to flee, and finds refuge on a faraway planet - but with the threat hanging over their heads that some day, the Colonial humans who have in fact survived will come for them to nuke them out of existence.
Actually....yeah, that would be rather cool. That you'd have something of a replay of "Pegasus", where they meet up with other battlestars....but this time, the other battlestars turn on the RTF because they think they've been hopelessly corrupted by the Cylons.
Old February 23 2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Berg417448
Commander

I seem to recall there was a BSG casting call mentioned last year for people with an athletic build and long hair or dreadlocks. If that is true then I think we might see some other humans. Additionally, there is that unknown voice from the season previews saying, "Go back to where you came from!"
Old February 23 2009, 02:54 AM   #7
ialfan
Fleet Captain

I think a showdown between Cavils forces and the RTF as is is possible. If the Cylon Goo works as intended both Galactica and the Rebel Baseship could be pretty much 100% again. I think they could at least give four baseships a good show.
Old February 23 2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I don't think we'll see any large number of humans or Cylons that haven't already been introduced. Maybe one (Daniel), but I'm not even sure about that.

I do think that the virtual people will be explored further and that they'll represent an interation of the cycle that extends before Kobol. I think the writers will want to impress up on us the persistant nature of the cycle in order to make breaking it even more impressive. And, we know that there is at least one more interation before Kobal because humans originated on Earth.

And, yeah, I know some argue that in the BSG universe it's possible the humans started on Kobol, or maybe Kobol really is Earth, or what not. I don't think RDM will violate the most basic science about the origins of our species.

He may well leave it vague as to how many iterations there have been but I think we'll see some evidence of previous iterations and that maybe where the virtual people come in. So, if there's a curve ball, I'm guessing it involves going further back in the cycle. Probably not in detail but enough to drive the point home.

Mr Awe
Old February 24 2009, 02:06 AM   #9
arch101
Fleet Captain

Virtuals = Ship of Lights
Old February 24 2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Verteron
Rear Admiral

With four hours left, whatever plot twist they have in store better come to pass quickly, or otherwise it's going to be ridiculous. Galactica has traditionally been all about watching peoples' reactions, big space battles are great, but if there's no-one left to mourn the dead, what's the point?
Old February 24 2009, 10:51 AM   #11
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I read once, somewhere way back around the time the mini first aired, that RDM said that he wouldn't contradict the scientific fact that humans did originally evolved on Earth *first*.

I really hope that's true, because if humans in BSG-verse, like in the real world, originally evolved on Earth, then that would give us yet another - even older - "iteration" in this "cycle" - even before Kobol, humans first arose on Earth and (in the Colonials' deep past, but *our* future) created the very first Cylons, and that lead to war and apocalypse and the survivors settled Kobol - and the 13th Tribe *re-settled* Earth after that.

So, we'd have this...

First, the original Earth humans (us, in our future) create the first cybernetic AI's - Cylons - and that leads to war and apocalypse - the survivors escaping to settle Kobol.

Much later, the humans on Kobol eventually re-create Cylons, and that also leads to war & apocalypse.

Then, the Cylons of the 13th Tribe who resettled Earth (the "skinjob" version now essentially just human) rediscover the ability to download/resurrect, becoming again fully cybernetic - Cylon - and that somehow yet again leads to war & apocalypse.

And the humans in the Colonies also re-invent Cylons - and, of course, we all know what happened next...

arch101 wrote: View Post
Virtuals = Ship of Lights
My own guess is that this third party *is* in fact nuBSG's take on the TOSBSG's "Ship of Lights".

In the original series was a "tribe" of humans who had evolved into "angelic" beings.

My guess is that in this new take on them, they will be a highly technologically advanced & evolved species of post-humans (or post-Cylons - or post-Cybrids most likey) possibily descended from the *original* inhabitants of Earth (us) and/or also possibly somehow connected to the "Lords of Kobol" (maybe even *being* the Lord's of Kobol.)
Old March 7 2009, 01:34 AM   #12
chrisspringob
Commodore

Here's a thought:

What if we end up seeing more humans not because there were any more survivors of the attacks on the Colonies, but because resurrection technology can actually still bring back many of those who died in said attacks?

Supposing that Starbuck is indeed human (and not, say, the offspring of Daniel or something), and that someone resurrected her after she died on Earth, then there must be some possible way to resurrect not just skinjob Cylons, but also humans. So what about this for an ending to the series?:

------
There's some kind of final confrontation between Cavil's forces and the RTF, and the Cylons are certainly going to win, killing every last human in existence. However, simultaneously with the space battle, there's some kind of mission to infiltrate Cylon defenses, and Baltar and his people are part of the mission.

While Baltar et al. are on the Cylon baseship, they come to the realization that, during the attack on the Colonies, Cavil did something to record the essences of every human on the Colonies who they were killing (not sure about the reason why he would do that, but assume the writers can come up with something). Baltar has some kind of revelation.....based on something he picked up from studying Hera, something from studying her status as a Cylon/human hybrid. He makes the intuitive leap about the connection between Cylons and humans that allows him to understand how it might be possible to regenerate humans using resurrection technology.

Baltar then somehow transmits the files containing the essences of the victims of the Colonial holocaust to Ellen's secret lab colony (whose location he got from her, but which Cavil doesn't have), and sends a command to regenerate everyone there. All of the Colonials in the RTF are doomed and end up getting killed by the Cylons, but there can still be human life somewhere else, on the planet with the laboratory, where everyone gets resurrected.

Baltar redeems himself for his role in the original holocaust.