Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 4 2009, 11:05 AM   #16
ITL
Vice Admiral

Re: The Beatles

Two of my favourites as well. Simply amazing.

When it comes to The Beatles - love them or hate them - you can't dismiss them.
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 11:28 AM   #17
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

A friend of mine and fellow viola player introduced me to the Beatles back when I was 13. I was familiar with several of their songs, but didn't really fullty appreciate their wide range of musicality until years later, when I decided to listen solidly to one of their albums - as it happened, it was "Revolver" which while on holiday another passenger decided to play non-stop on the coach. "Revolver" is for me arguably their single greatest achievement, although nowadays my favourite album of theirs remains "Abbey Road" - a true miracle of a record given the state of the band around that time.

And even for all their now critically acclaimed experimentation and psychedelia of their "middle period" and the grooviness, maturity (musically, anyway) and branching out to other musical styles of their later years, my favourite Beatles song is still "I Want To Hold Your Hand" - its simplicity, innocence, optimism and sheer energy always wins me over.

The Beatles have endured musically. It's no surprise that their sound has influenced the course of rock music, and even led to certain other bands trying to emulate their sound (for example...).

"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell
People call me Zion Ravescene...
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 11:32 AM   #18
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
How did such geniuses manage to lose control of their song copyrights?

Because creative genius and business acumen are two different skill sets?

As for the band itself - no interest really, I understand their cultural importance but I'm not interested as a listener.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 11:36 AM   #19
ITL
Vice Admiral

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
...."Abbey Road" - a true miracle of a record given the state of the band around that time.
Absolutely. After the messy and uncomfortable "Get Back" sessions that ground to a halt in early '69 the band was to all intents and purposes a lost cause - yet they got together one last time in the studio and created Abbey Road. A true achievement.

...."I Want To Hold Your Hand" - its simplicity, innocence, optimism and sheer energy always wins me over.
Not a song I've ever really liked that much (mainly because of the twee lyrics), but after hearing Al Green's soulful, funky cover version I realized just how great the chord sequences are.
Old March 4 2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Wasn't it Buddy Rich who said Ringo Starr was the luckiest SOB in showbusiness?
Old March 4 2009, 11:43 AM   #21
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

ITL wrote: View Post
...."Abbey Road" - a true miracle of a record given the state of the band around that time.
Absolutely. After the messy and uncomfortable "Get Back" sessions that ground to a halt in early '69 the band was to all intents and purposes a lost cause - yet they got together one last time in the studio and created Abbey Road. A true achievement.
I know which record of theirs I'd rather consider as their final statement to the world. ["Free As A Bird"? - someone]
...."I Want To Hold Your Hand" - its simplicity, innocence, optimism and sheer energy always wins me over.
Not a song I've ever really liked that much (mainly because of the twee lyrics), but after hearing Al Green's soulful, funky cover version I realized just how great the chord sequences are.
I managed to get hold of their German version of that song a few years ago. In the early days, for their German fans they recorded "Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand" and "Sie Liebt Dich" - quite fascinating listens, those.

"Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEKPg-mnEfg

"Sie Liebt Dich": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vGv_d0mk6Q

"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Old March 4 2009, 11:52 AM   #22
ITL
Vice Admiral

^ My sister used to know the German lyrics so well she would sing along....

BTW - I love this website - it's an examination of every Beatles song from a music theory perspective. My own understanding of music theory is limited at best, but I love reading this sort of stuff nonetheless. Plus, the guy's a true fan of the band.
Old March 4 2009, 11:53 AM   #23
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Neat website - I'll have to check it out in depth some time.

Old March 4 2009, 07:27 PM   #24
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

I’ve been a fan my whole life. What strikes me is the musical progression from 1962 to 1969. Those 8 years seem like 18. Bands today are lucky to get 3 albums in 8 years and they had what 16? The songwriting skills were just amazing. People may not like the style of the music but you have a hard time arguing against the songwriting success. Not to mention that the songs are in our cultural jargon. People mention taking the “long and winding road” to such and such.

The 60’s was also a crucial time for the evolution of rock music. It’s debatable how much the Beatles drove that change but it is certain that they were just a popular and powerful band that their incorporation of different sounds, techniques and even fashion allowed the fringe to become mainstream. It easy to look back on that time now and say the songs were too bubblegum but you have to remember that the envelope was just beginning to be pushed back then. The Beatles weren’t the only band to start pushing but their popularity allowed them more freedom to do so making it easier for others to do the same.
Old March 4 2009, 07:29 PM   #25
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Just as with Star Trek, I can't recall a time in life when I was not a Beatles fan.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 08:17 PM   #26
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

The Beatles rise above any other popular musical artist of the last hundred years. They are in many ways like the family of quite a few people. I completely understand where the OP is coming from... they are a part of our lives.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 08:19 PM   #27
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

One of the great Beatles moments: their performance on the Morecambe and Wise show:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCyG85beIGU
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csMRq9n97kk

Old March 4 2009, 08:50 PM   #28
CorporalClegg
Admiral

You know, I read this article once with contributions from both music and political historians that basically suggested, had Please Please Me come out a year earlier or a year later, The Beatles would have dissolved into obscurity.
Old March 4 2009, 10:19 PM   #29
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Hendrix took a lot from the London guitar scene that he was a part of before making it big-and that scene came out of inspiration provided by the Beatles.
Hendrix was a huge Beatles fan, IIRC he famously kicked off a concert with a cover of "St. Pepper" the day the album came out. So he was certainly inspired by them. Several of his songs, like like "Wait Until Tomorrow" are quite Beatlesque in their construction.

But to be entirely accurate, Hendrix didn't really take a lot from the London guitar scene - he was more of a source of inspiration for British guitarists. He had already developed his signature psychedelic/blues sound playing in dingy clubs in Greenwich Village in New York City when he was discovered by Chas Chandler and brought to London to record "Are You Experienced."

One story that's widely told (though it may be apocryphal, for all I know) is that Pete Townsend was walking into a London club where Hendrix was performing and ran into Eric Clapton on the way out. Clapton had an absolutely ashen, shattered look on his face, and Townsend asked him, "Oh, is this new guy that bad?" Clapton replied, "No, mate, he's that good."
Old March 4 2009, 10:34 PM   #30
CorporalClegg
Admiral

^
Apocryphal in a posthumous kind of way. It's one of those those stories that "evolves" after someone's death that in spite of (or because of) has no regard for authenticity.

And frankly, had he not had died when he did, I doubt he would have been revered as much is he is. But I digress...