Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 3 2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*

I'm not reading the review, but I've feared all along that this will suck. It just looks stupid to me in a Batman Returns kind of way...I don't know. I guess if they are lampooning superhero movies instead of superhero comics I "get" that but I just don't give a shit.

The Watchmen movie needs to be serious, like a 9 hour miniseries, and Nite Owl needs to be a fat, balding, impotent, sorry older guy...not some dude that is kicking ass matrix style, like in that clip.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
I'm not reading the review, but I've feared all along that this will suck. It just looks stupid to me in a Batman Returns kind of way...I don't know. I guess if they are lampooning superhero movies instead of superhero comics I "get" that but I just don't give a shit.
What gave you the impression that this is "lampooning" anything? All I've read and seen suggests that it's a very faithful, very serious, hard R-rated adaptation of the original Moore/Gibbons comic miniseries. True, the comic was itself a deconstruction of superhero tropes, and there was no doubt some humor in that, but it was hardly a comedy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 06:52 PM   #18
The Super Brando
Lieutenant Commander

The reviewer seems pretentious and elitist. Granted, there are many pretentious and elitist people out there who will agree with him, and will dislike the movie. Maybe I'm not high brow because I like graphic novels and superheroes, but this movie just looks cool to me.
Old March 3 2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

I've been checking several respected reviewers on the film and yes, The New Yorker's shows plainly that he doesn't understand the original medium or story, so it's unlikely he's going to get the movie.

However, several reviewers who do plainly understand the book are remarking that the film is slavish to the point of creating a faithful but lifeless adaptation. Which is a drag.

From Nick Setchfield at SFX magazine:
"Critically, Watchmen dissected comics in the unique vocabulary of the funnybooks. A celluloid version needed to be just as playful with cinema, interrogating the cliches and tropes of screen crusaders – everything from the high-camp riot of ‘60s Batman to the darkly tinged X-Men movies. But while Snyder adds fashionably overwrought sound FX to the combat sequences (and his slo-mo, sped-up action tic soon gets annoying) they feel misjudged....

It’s not a bad film. It’s actually coldly, technically brilliant. And it honours Moore and Gibbons only too well. But it’s monumental and slab-like, an exercise in cinematic taxidermy, in need of a lightning strike to animate its parts....

Ultimately you’re left feeling like Billy Crudup’s wan Dr Manhattan, witnessing a supernova from afar – yes, it’s a spectacle, it’s worthy of a polite smattering of applause, but somehow you’re too distant and detached to care. This is an easy film to admire, a crushingly hard film to love."

A great adaptation requires so much more than the misguided attempt to simply transfer something from one medium to another.

From Devin Gordon's Newsweek review - a very good point:

"Only a few filmmakers have struck a balance. "The Godfather" was a bestseller, but for the screen version, director Francis Ford Coppola bravely rearranged nearly all of its furniture, building a bit character's wedding into a massive set piece at the start of his film and, for the climax, intercutting a solemn baptism with a string of brutal Mafia hits. More recently, the "Harry Potter" movies didn't get it right until the third try, when Alfonso Cuarón turned Hogwarts into a magically grungy, bluish dungeon populated with disaffected adolescents in blue jeans. Comic-book and fantasy adaptations are now a dime a dozen, but they tend to work best—see Christopher Nolan and Batman—when they are spiritual, rather than literal, transfusions. The apotheosis, surely, is Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which stands shoulder to shoulder with Tolkien's books. What separates Jackson and Snyder isn't the depth of their love for the material. It's that Jackson was merciless about it when he had to be."

I'll still go see it, and then I'll reread the book which I haven't picked up in probably 20 years. It'll be interesting to see if the book holds up, or if it is either too attached to the particular paranoias of the 80s, or the particular paranoias of being 20. Maybe there is something timeless about it, and it's surely a good yarn. I look forward to finding out.
Old March 3 2009, 07:27 PM   #20
HaplessCrewman
Commander

“Watchmen,” like “V for Vendetta,” harbors ambitions of political satire, and, to be fair, it should meet the needs of any leering nineteen-year-old who believes that America is ruled by the military-industrial complex, and whose deepest fear—deeper even than that of meeting a woman who requests intelligent conversation—is that the Warren Commission may have been right all along.
If this is the worst critics can dish out, we are in great shape!

An inconsequential review.
HaplessCrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 07:45 PM   #21
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I saw it and liked it. Once you see it visit the review thread and discuss there openly. Spoilers have been posted as a possibility over there.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 07:55 PM   #22
HaplessCrewman
Commander

I have not seen the film but have read extensively online what all the critics are saying about it. The "negative" reviews usually fault the film for being too slavish to the source material - as in the reviews mentioned by Lapis Exilis. This was my "fear" as well when I heard Snyder was given the project.

My gut feeling is that, over time, the film's slavishness will become less important and people will accept the film. I think history will be kind to the film.
HaplessCrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 03:38 AM   #23
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I am really hoping that I like this film. I reread the books about four years ago and thought they did stand up pretty well, but perhaps not so much to people who were not into the comics of that era. Based on the reviews, I have two worries:

The film will drag.

The film will be too unrelentingly violent.

I know that I am in the minority, but I found both of these things to be flaws with The Dark Knight. I did enjoy the movie but found it too serious to be enjoyable in a popcorn munching cinematic experience kind of way. Also, I really really think it should have ended with the Joker and Two-Face in the hospital room--everything after that I just felt to be too much and too long.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote