Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Stage Fright"
Excellent 2 3.45%
Above Average 21 36.21%
Average 23 39.66%
Below Average 10 17.24%
Poor 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28 2009, 02:11 AM   #1
nx1701g
Admiral

Dollhouse 1x03 "Stage Fright" Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

FOX:
Echo provides protection to a pop star by becoming her backup singer. Ballard's investigation, meanwhile, takes a wrong turn that may prove dangerous; and Lubov has a secret.
New episode tonight.
Old February 28 2009, 05:27 AM   #2
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: Dollhouse 1x03 "Stage Fright" Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Better than the promos made it look, that's for sure. Seems that Echo is beginning to understand something odd is going on....
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 05:29 AM   #3
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

A kind "below average".

After gaining some of my interest last week, it's plummeted now.

I may be tuning out unless Amy Acker and Olivia Williams start making out...
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 05:33 AM   #4
nx1701g
Admiral

Maybe next week'll be better when she shuts off and goes back to basics.
Old February 28 2009, 05:33 AM   #5
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

It took me forever to realize that Sierra's handler was Kevin Kilner.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Have people seen the casting spoiler for the "mystery bad guy"?

Assuming the show doesn't get cancelled first, I'll tune back in for that actor's appearances. Any idea what episode it might start with?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Plain Simple
Commodore

Third average in a row for me, although I slowly get the feeling there's something in this show. But it's not coming out just yet.

I must say that I'm really disappointed in Dushku's acting. She plays every persona in basically the same way. Okay, she got to sing this week, but apart from that, same girl as last week ---only then she got to run around some more and climb mountains--- or the perfect date from episode one ---only without the motor cycles. So, superficially she does something else each week, motor cycles, mountain, singing, but she feels like the same character each week (Faith, basically). Now usually that would be a good thing in a tv show, but not here.

What exactly was the role of Sierra this week? I thought she was also sent to protect Rayna, but she was meek and defenseless during the whole episode. I was waiting for her uber fighting doll skills to kick in, but nothing like that. What was her point, except for showing that Echo is breaking through her programming?

The reveal that the Russian guy was a doll was interesting. Although it made me wonder if it wouldn't have been more interesting if the FBI guy whose name I keep forgetting himself was a doll. Planted by the Dollhouse to discredit the investigation into the Dollhouse by continuously coming up empty handed.

To end on a high: I liked the nod in the final scene.

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Plain Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Maybe next week'll be better when she shuts off and goes back to basics.
you make it sound like she's K.I.T.T

Echo- my nano armor is disabled

guy- is that what you call "taking off your bra"?
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 07:43 AM   #9
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Average - Better than the previews made it look. Next week looks better.

Plain Simple wrote: View Post
What exactly was the role of Sierra this week? I thought she was also sent to protect Rayna, but she was meek and defenseless during the whole episode. I was waiting for her uber fighting doll skills to kick in, but nothing like that. What was her point, except for showing that Echo is breaking through her programming?
Her point was as was said in the episode - to protect the singer by making the stalker kidnap Sierra out of jealousy. The Dollhouse team busted in to take him down, only to find that Echo had already contacted him. I guess she needed no fighting skills this episode.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Plain Simple
Commodore

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
Plain Simple wrote: View Post
Her point was as was said in the episode - to protect the singer by making him kidnap Sierra out of jealousy. The Dollhouse team busted in to take him down, only to find that Echo had already contacted him. I guess she needed no fighting skills this episode.
Was that said in the episode? I must have missed that.

Old February 28 2009, 05:05 PM   #11
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, they did during one of the "this is what's going on" moments with the bosses.

My problem with the episode was that it was so heavy handed. The singer is a doll too! In her own dollhouse! Yick. Also, Dushku trying to be all gangster and tough was kind of painful to watch.

It was also strange how the singer's dialog was written. She almost sounded like a character from Firefly at certain points during her diatribe.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

At least Echo wasn't a rent-a-whore this week!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Lumen
Vice Admiral

Better than the pilot, worse than last week's. Much better than the promo made it look. But, god, the dialogue was actually dreadful this week. And this is the first time Dushku was just plain unconvincing.
Old February 28 2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Ptrope
Agitator

So far, I think the episodes have improved from week to week - it's starting to gel somewhat. I'm still not sure that Eliza was the best choice, but since it's apparently a vehicle for her, there's not much armchairing one can do about that.

On a personal note, Dichen Lachman is one of the oddest-looking women I've ever seen; it wasn't until she put the glasses on that I thought her face didn't resemble that of a horse. Not sure about "Sierra," yet, though.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the point of the Dollhouse, though. Most of the stuff they seem to do doesn't seem, to me, to require 'installing' a personality and training into a tabula rasa - they could get by simply hiring a person with good training in whatever skills they require. I suppose the chief advantage of the dolls is to keep down overhead for the Dollhouse itself - they don't need a large number of trained personnel if they can just swap the trained personalities in and out of the bodies they have. And mind-wiping them is possibly good for some clients, but again, that shouldn't require a complete personality implant and extraction. I mean, of what good is something that arcane to someone who needs a backup singer/bodyguard for a pop princess? So far, the whole concept of the Dollhouse is massive overkill for the clients' needs. And that makes it hard to empathize with any character in these scenarios, whether 'good' or 'bad'; I don't mind a bit of moral ambiguity, but this is editorial ambiguity, which is much harder to accept.

And I hope, at some point, we find out what it is about the Dollhouse that would make it a criminal priority for the FBI. Other than possible prostitution, it seems like something that most folks, esp. potential clients, would find more ridiculous than dangerous or criminal. I hate to say it, but I think this is one time where Joss took an interesting concept - the personality implantation - and executed it wrongly. It would have been better, IMHO, if the dolls were implanted with others' personalities to function as surrogates, so the clients themselves could experience their wildest or weirdest desires with no personal danger or responsibility. To then have the dolls start remembering and consolidating their presumably erased experiences - that would be a much more interesting tale, to me.

Or maybe we'll find out that that's exactly what's going on ...

I thought it was above average, but I'm still not fully committed to the show.
Old February 28 2009, 07:59 PM   #15
Plain Simple
Commodore

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Yeah, they did during one of the "this is what's going on" moments with the bosses.
Thanks. Strange how you can watch the whole show, not miss a scene, and still miss such a key ingredient to the story, without even realising that you missed it.

Ptrope wrote: View Post
On a personal note, Dichen Lachman is one of the oddest-looking women I've ever seen; it wasn't until she put the glasses on that I thought her face didn't resemble that of a horse.
I actually thought she is quite a beautiful woman, also here face. Perhaps because it is a little different than what normally passes for 'beautiful'. I definitely wouldn't say her face resembles a horse's.