Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode
Excellent 3 5.36%
Above Average 17 30.36%
Average 28 50.00%
Below Average 5 8.93%
Poor 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5 2009, 07:13 PM   #76
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Re: Heroes 3x18 "Exposed" Discuss and Grade

Hermiod wrote: View Post
There was an interview with one of the writers which suggested he had "lost touch with his empathy" which is why he couldn't have more than one ability but that's code for "we're idiots who can't write characters who have superpowers so we just take them away instead".
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 07:14 PM   #77
Hermiod
Admiral

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
There was an interview with one of the writers which suggested he had "lost touch with his empathy" which is why he couldn't have more than one ability but that's code for "we're idiots who can't write characters who have superpowers so we just take them away instead".
Did you just threadbomb me ? You realise I consider that flaming, don't you ?
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 05:28 AM   #78
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

SFRabid wrote: View Post
LutherSloan wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure that if Peter touched Sylar right now, he would only get his original power, which is the scalpel-finger thing and I guess the ability to steal other powers. MAYBE.
And didn't we already go through that once when we met the future "nice" Syler?
But Peter has a different power now, so it's anybody's guess how the logic of it works. He seems to have mental control over it - he didn't get Matt's powers the first time he touched him (flying away with him) but did the second time, when he wanted to. Or the writers are being sloppy-ass again.

There's some speculation that Sylar's original power might have included TK from his dad, but I think it's more likely he was wowed by Brian's TK because of repressed memories that dad had that power, which overwhelmed whatever restraint he might have had regarding killing.

Intentionally or not, the repressed-memory thing does help explain Sylar's mommy fixation, why he insisted to Chandra that the watchmaker and Virginia were not his real parents, and why he lusts after powers in general and seems to prefer TK above all else.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 07:14 AM   #79
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Or maybe he's just conflating his real memory of being abandoned with his own murders. Memory isn't a perfect thing, after all. It would have been smarter of him to use the psychometry that he picked up near the beginning of the season, but the writers seem to have forgotten about that.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 04:22 PM   #80
The Habs Fan
Commodore

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
Did you just threadbomb me ? You realise I consider that flaming, don't you ?
Well, actually I was thread bombing Peter Petrelli, since I agree with your point.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 07:25 PM   #81
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Or maybe he's just conflating his real memory of being abandoned with his own murders.
That would be a more interesting and imaginative twist, but that just makes it all the less likely that these writers will go that way. No, I think they're being very literal about the whole thing.

It does lend credence to Arthur Petrelli's claim that Sylar never needed to open anyone's skulls to gain powers. Maybe the only reason he ever latched onto that habit is because of a messed-up need to imitate Dad? Otherwise, it's one hell of a coincidence.

It's never made a whole lot of sense to me that he needs to actually look at someone's brain to gain powers - what is he seeing? Does he have microscopic vision? Why doesn't he have the same type of vision towards other things?

But what does make sense: he gains powers via proximity and doesn't realize it. When he starts trying to gain powers, he convinces himself that he needs to imitate his two Dads to be effective - the skull cutting of bio-dad, and the observation skills of watchmaker dad. Those were never necessary - just an outgrowth of his mangled psyche.

If these writers want to start trying to stitch together all the dangling threads of Sylar's characterization, they could start by establishing that he never actually needed to kill anyone, and his mimickry powers really do happen through proximity or "empathy" or something. And the rest is due to his messed up personality. Plus his powers really do drive him to kill on top of it all. Gah, he's still a mess.
Old March 6 2009, 07:28 PM   #82
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

These are the Heroes writers. Their heads will explode if they have to connect too many dots.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 08:01 PM   #83
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
These are the Heroes writers. Their heads will explode if they have to connect too many dots.
Their strategy for characterizing Sylar is to splatter the canvas with random dots. Some of them will inevitably end up connected other dots. Screenwriting a la Jackson Pollack.
Old March 6 2009, 08:13 PM   #84
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

More like screenwriting a la Berman and Braga. Of course they use the aforementioned method.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 07:58 PM   #85
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

More like screenwriting a la Berman and Braga. Of course they use the aforementioned method.
Ah yes. The Insaneway phenomenon.
Old March 8 2009, 02:57 AM   #86
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Well, these guys don't have UPN breathing down their neck all the time or producers (coughJeriTaylor) who make certain characters their Mary Sues...
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 10:12 PM   #87
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Well, these guys don't have UPN breathing down their neck all the time or producers (coughJeriTaylor) who make certain characters their Mary Sues...
The Insaneway phenomenon was unrelated to the Mary Sue issue - it came from writers who couldn't agree on how to write Janeway, so that one week she's willing to sacrifice her crew to safeguard Federation ideals and the next she's willing to sacrifice Federation ideals to safeguard her crew, giving the impression that the captain is insane and the crew are idiots for not seeing it and mutinying. It's definitely the same sickness as is afflicting Heroes - who the hell are these people anymore?
Old March 9 2009, 03:02 AM   #88
Anwar
Vice Admiral

That was more probably due to the constantly changing producers and the such. As contrasted to TNG and DS9, both of which mostly the same people in charge all the way through. Course, I had issues with Sisko's changing attitude on stuff in DS9 as well but to each his own...
Old March 9 2009, 05:49 PM   #89
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Musical producers will do it, sure. The problem is not so much writers per se but the lack of someone in charge. That's also apparently the problem with Heroes - Kring must be asleep. There's nobody reading scripts and making sure they are consistent in characterization and that they built a story that goes somewhere.

Sisko's attitude on DS9 didn't ping pong so much as it evolved, from straightforward Starfleet officer to a guy with very divided loyalties. I wanted them to take that further than they did - he didn't change enough. If you want to complain about a DS9 character, I heartily recommend Gul Dukat.
Old March 10 2009, 01:32 AM   #90
Anwar
Vice Admiral

What I meant with Sisko was the zigzaging he did in "Far beyond the Stars" and "Pale Moonlight". I mean he has this whole hallucination that prompts him to go off on how "the dream must never die!" and then in Pale Moonlight he destroys that dream all on his own.