Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 10 2009, 03:08 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Gary 7 spinoff?

My wife and I watched ASSIGNMENT EARTH last night, just before HELL's KITCHEN, and we really like that episode. We all know that it was a backdoor pilot to a possible spinoff show...but then I got to wondering; why? Even by the end of SEASON TWO, Star Trek was a ratings flop. And yet NBC was willing to roll the dice on a sequel?

I also wonder, had the GARY 7 show gone forward (and looked lot more cheaper to produce than TREK) if NBC would have just cancelled Season 3 and gone with Gary-7 and if Roddenberry would have been okay with that...my gut tells me "YES". Roddenberry would have thrown TREK under the bus if it meant he could do GARY 7 show.

What do you think???

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 06:16 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Gary 7 spinoff?

You mean like this?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 06:28 PM   #3
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Would you really say it was a "ratings flop"? My recollection is that while it didn't have great ratings, it wasn't a flop. If it had been a flop, no letter-writing campaign would have been enough to save it.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 06:59 PM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah

JustKate wrote: View Post
Would you really say it was a "ratings flop"? My recollection is that while it didn't have great ratings, it wasn't a flop. If it had been a flop, no letter-writing campaign would have been enough to save it.
I am not sure where I read this..but I think the highest rated episode of TREK was CITY..and it was like #28 or something like that. The show was almost cancelled because of low ratings and only the letter campaign saved it. But from what I have read through the years, shatner-nimoy books and others, it wasn't a hit in the way they gathered ratings in those days...

Rob
Old April 10 2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
You mean like this?
Or maybe like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8h_FxVWts
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
You mean like this?
Or maybe like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8h_FxVWts
THAT is funny! Pretty good timing of the video with the theme music, too.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Gary7
Rear Admiral

You mean like this?
Excellent mock-up of an Assignment Earth TV series intro. I couldn't find enough details from the comments about the theme music. I wonder if the submitter created it or borrowed it from some other period work. It definitely goes well with it... kind of a Man from U.N.C.L.E. flavor.

Personally, I think it would have been a good show if talented writers could have been found. Certainly the actors were "just right" for the roles. Plenty of material, especially with the Cold War still on. Kind of a "Mission Impossible" but with a "friendly alien" stepping in with superior technology to dispense with the baddies. And a little hint of James Bond, too.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 09:00 PM   #8
M
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
You mean like this?
Excellent mock-up of an Assignment Earth TV series intro. I couldn't find enough details from the comments about the theme music. I wonder if the submitter created it or borrowed it from some other period work.
It's original music done by some very passionate fans. Here's a link. They also did a second version. What I find so good about them is that they sound like genuine 60s theme songs.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2009, 09:02 PM   #9
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Gary7 wrote: View Post
You mean like this?
Excellent mock-up of an Assignment Earth TV series intro. I couldn't find enough details from the comments about the theme music. I wonder if the submitter created it or borrowed it from some other period work.
It's original music done by some very passionate fans. Here's a link. They also did a second version. What I find so good about them is that they sound like genuine 60s theme songs.
That was pretty cool...I am really impressed with how imaginative some of us fans are...

Rob
Old April 10 2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
My wife and I watched ASSIGNMENT EARTH last night, just before HELL's KITCHEN, and we really like that episode. We all know that it was a backdoor pilot to a possible spinoff show...but then I got to wondering; why? Even by the end of SEASON TWO, Star Trek was a ratings flop. And yet NBC was willing to roll the dice on a sequel?

I also wonder, had the GARY 7 show gone forward (and looked lot more cheaper to produce than TREK) if NBC would have just cancelled Season 3 and gone with Gary-7 and if Roddenberry would have been okay with that...my gut tells me "YES". Roddenberry would have thrown TREK under the bus if it meant he could do GARY 7 show.

What do you think???

Rob
IIRC, it was originally a show without a connection to Star Trek. Roddenberry reworked the pilot's script into a Star Trek episode as a way to sell the show to NBC. Sorta like changing Majel's hair color and recasting her in a different role after the network said dump her
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Praetor
Vice Admiral

^That's what I understood to be the case, too.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 01:50 AM   #12
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Praetor wrote: View Post
^That's what I understood to be the case, too.
But if it had sold, had they used ASSIGNMENT EARTH as a 'pilot' and had sold it to NBC, I think TREK would have been cancelled,because of its cost, and they would have gone with GARY SEVEN simply because it looked like a cheaper show to do....

I contend that by not selling GARY SEVEN, STAR TREK got one year of life...even if it was the must derided season three...

Rob
Old April 11 2009, 02:03 AM   #13
Praetor
Vice Admiral

But why would they have to pick one over the other?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 02:06 AM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I'm sure Star Trek wasn't the only show NBC could have canceled that year.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2009, 05:49 AM   #15
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Praetor wrote: View Post
But why would they have to pick one over the other?
Because, at that time, they had already axed TOS because its lack of ratings. Had they given Roddenberry a choice, one or the other, I think he would have ditched TOS for many reasons; budgets being one, and increasing friction between him and Shatner/Nimoy....sure, the letter campaign saved it for a third season..a third season that Roddenberry was MIA for and suffered in quality as well...

IMO of course..

Rob