RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,452
Members: 25,788
Currently online: 417
Newest member: aziloma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the episodes
6-7 Excellent 10 27.03%
6-7 Good 16 43.24%
6-7 Average 9 24.32%
6-7 Bad 0 0%
6-7 Terrible 2 5.41%
7-8 Excellent 21 56.76%
7-8 Good 8 21.62%
7-8 Average 3 8.11%
7-8 Bad 1 2.70%
7-8 Terrible 1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 3 2009, 04:22 PM   #256
Squiggy
King of Kings

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile
Re: 24 Day 7: 6:00PM - 8:00PM: Discussion and Spoilers

I know how all this can actually happen.

How can we be so arrogant?!
Old March 3 2009, 04:29 PM   #257
Harvey
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I guess, Tony Todd is yet another Trek alumn added to 24's ranks.
Actually, he appeared as a different character (a detective investigating Palmer) in season three. In addition, he's appeared as Juma in both "24: Redemption" and the first episode of season seven, on a television screen.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 04:31 PM   #258
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

That map's all wrong. Where's the cloning facility and hanger for the alien/human hybrid fighter jets!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 05:33 PM   #259
species5618
Commodore

It's very nice to see that so far this season is a massive improvement over the extremely mediocre and completely unremarkable season 6.

6pm to 7pm: Good
7pm to 8pm: Excellent

Aaron Pierce should have his own spin-off.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 06:22 PM   #260
NX74205
Captain

I actually was kinda turned off/put off by this episode. I don't know why it just turned out that way but maybe it has to do with how the show continually beats us over the head with the torture stuff. Ok Ok, I get it, the writers think torture is great and is justified no matter what the cost and those that disagree with that view are just weak.

I will say this though, even though some of the writers are expousing that belief I do believe that the show is trying to give some credence to those who believe otherwise. jack has and always will be a badass, but Jack IMO has been somewhat out of control this season. Holding a man's family hostage, threatening to hold Dibouku's family hostage and then kill them, pulling a gun on a paramedic so that he can wake dubouku, attacking and then knocking out Bill Buchanan, relying solely on torture to break that chief of staff dude to find out the source of the attack when good honest police work (ala Agent Freckles) found out the same information humanely.

I dunno, I think the show is in someways beating us over the head with the torture debate however, it is also building a small case against Jack's over the top methods. Maybe what is trying to say is similar to what the President said in this episode, the world is not just black and white there is always some gray.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 09:45 PM   #261
TGTheodore
Writer

NX74205 wrote: View Post
I dunno, I think the show is in someways beating us over the head with the torture debate

(Er ...that WAS intentionally phrased that way, right?)

--Ted
Old March 3 2009, 09:50 PM   #262
NX74205
Captain

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
NX74205 wrote: View Post
I dunno, I think the show is in someways beating us over the head with the torture debate

(Er ...that WAS intentionally phrased that way, right?)

--Ted
Actually, it was. I was wondering how many people would catch the pun.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 09:53 PM   #263
Neroon
Mod of balance

As an archbishop of the First Pundamentalist Church, let me say you have performed this task well, my son!
Old March 3 2009, 10:12 PM   #264
Top41

I was pretty riveted by the two hours, so I have few complaints. The biggest one, though, is the idea that the Secret Service would just retreat after Juma failed to prove he has the president. And the VP being a big old wimp.

While I do think the senator who objects to torture is over-simplified, I do see the point they're going for, and I don't really object to the storyline. I think both sides have good points, and I think the general idea is that people like Jack Bauer need to exist just as much as the senator who advocates against torture. It's all about checks and balances--striving to do the right thing, but realizing that in order for things to get done, lines sometimes have to be crossed. Jack has always been that figure--the guy who will do the difficult thing, feel terrible about it, but know that it needs to be done.

I figured they'd get the President's daughter and get her to come out that way, so I'm not surprised. I guess we'll see what happens next week. Overall--really exciting, and I'm much more entertained this season than I was last...even if it's pretty far-fetched in places (like 12 guys taking over the White House ).

And yay for Rory Cochrane! And for so many people here knowing him as Speedle.
Old March 3 2009, 10:28 PM   #265
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Squiggyfm wrote: View Post
I know how all this can actually happen.

How can we be so arrogant?!
I never knew Area 51 had a branch in D.C.!
Old March 3 2009, 11:56 PM   #266
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Great two parter, but having those guys take over the White House was retarded. Where are the Marines, dammit?! That almost ruined the whole thing for me. In the span of fifteen minutes, the White House went from swarming with Marines, Secret Service can't be trusted to walk the First Dog, to the Marines have evaporated, Secret Service is everywhere but inside the friggin' building. Not to mention, real life, there are SS SWAT teams inside and outside the White House just waiting for shit like this to go down, leave aside the secret, underwater point of entry guarded only by a Bond-esque laser grid and a shoddily made brick wall.

Seriously, though. Where the hell did the Marines go? At what point did it make sense during the making of part two to send the Marines home? The only way I'll support it, is if the sneaky bastard Chief of Staff/Sec Def character actor guy who left for the Pentagon just before the attack is somehow in on the whole thing and ordered the Marines redeployed. And even that would still piss me off, not to mention open a whole new can of worms.

They could have had the same end result by giving Juma's suicide commandos one five-minute miracle window to make a bee-line for the Oval office, burning through Marines all quiet like until Renee sounds the alarm, then the Pres and Jack get inside a safe room much closer to the Oval office, but her daughter is trapped outside with some other staff/civies. Juma's fucked as Marines/SS converge from all sides, his dudes dropping all around. The outside knows the Pres is safe because the safe room is not constructed by a retard, but Juma calls Hodges, who tells him about the First Daughter and he plucks her out of the crowd and forces the President to call off the Marine assault and surrender herself. SLAP! Countdown clock. Cliffhanger.

The worthless sack of shit VP can still be a worthless sack of shit, too. You just know he's gonna dust off his old memo from VP Prescott about the 25th Ammendment before this is over.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 01:39 AM   #267
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

It could probably be reasoned that the 25th automaticly applies since the President isn't in a position to command her power.

It seems unlikely, though, that the Secret Service would retreat without knowing Juma had the Pres.

"I have the President, back off or she dies!"
"Let me hear her! Proove to me you have her!"
"Ummm... Can't. She's... in the bathroom."
"In the bathroom, really?"
"Uhh, she's eating something, mouth full of peanut butter. Can't talk."
"Oh, well...."
[imitating someone eating with a mouth full of peanut butter]"Mmmm. mmm.. Caunnyut mmm mmm tauwlk. Mmm mmm. Neooit... Mmm mmm... muilyk."
"Look, this isn't working, we're not believing it."
"Would you believe that she's on the phone with the President of Russia?"
"No."
"Damn."

And I find it funny that the White House is as well gaurded as CTU:Los Angeles. m Oh and that Tony apparently keeps a suit in Jack's size at the ready in the car. And that apparently Juma's men are savants when it comes to drilling holes (given that the drilled the hole between the sewers in about two minutes.

Agent Red has balls.

A blueprint of the White House would've been more belivable than the front elevation of it.

Oh! And, seriously. They're all pussy-footing around over, "OMG Where's the D.C. target going to be? We've no idea, where! Let's discuss and fret over it while standing in the single most imporant building on the entire fucking planet!!! As soon as the words "D.C." and "attack" were said in the same sentence the President should've been down in the Secret Super Bunker seen last season.
Old March 4 2009, 02:55 AM   #268
Archangel

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
I wish they had never created the Senator's character, because he is the kind of caricature that fits perfectly to any far-right wing view of a liberal politician.

I have noticed a LOT more blatantly political shots at the left this year than previously, which is not good. Despite the fact that I totally disagree with Bauer's methods throughout the series, I have enjoyed the show because it had not really (until now) started to hit you over the head with the producers'/writers' politics.

Between the Senator and Larry Moss, this is getting old. Same goes for the transformation of Agent Red from a normal person into a female Jack Bauer. Judging from the trailers for next week, Moss may end up undergoing a transformation as well. So far he has been totally by the book, but things like Sean's betrayal and the Vice President now refusing to act are setting it up for him to change. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that's where they are going.
But the hundreds of shows with a liberal bias that portray conservatives bible thumping authorative near-cavemen are A-OK...right?
Old March 4 2009, 02:59 AM   #269
Harvey
Admiral

So, the political bias of other, unidentified television programs excuses the neoconservative bias of this show how exactly?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 03:09 AM   #270
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

So, uh, how about Annie Wersching and Sprague Grayden?