Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Koenig Joins Captain Pike Project
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
A+ 49 16.78%
A 66 22.60%
A- 56 19.18%
B+ 34 11.64%
B 24 8.22%
B- 16 5.48%
C+ 13 4.45%
C 9 3.08%
C- 5 1.71%
D+ 2 0.68%
D 9 3.08%
D- 5 1.71%
F 4 1.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23 2009, 07:00 AM   #841
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Re: WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

paudemge wrote: View Post
I just saw the Watchman and I was very disappointed. It was obvious that Veidt was the villain, from almost the beginning, so much so that I was sure there would be some kind of twist. Rorschach was the only character I really liked, but I thought his voice was terrible because it just screamed Dark Night.
Yeah Vedit was much more villian like in the movie then he was in the comic, that was one of the major problems I had with the movie version.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 07:19 AM   #842
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Dream wrote: View Post
Daneel wrote: View Post
Yeah, I decided not to get it now either, especially if they are indeed going to come out with some sort of deluxe edition by the end of the year.
I hope you know that the Ultimate Edition that's coming out this winter is the director's cut with the pirate cartoon added into the movie. I think that showing parts of the cartoon while the movie is going on will be horribly distracting so I'm not going to bother with it. The director's cut is the way to go for me.

I noticed that the Best Buy near me had nearly sold out of the Director's Edition when I went yesterday. I'm glad the movie is selling well.
I agree. I felt that Tales of The Black Freighter was unnecessary and dragged the book down. I don't really need it integrated into the film. Plus I don't need a four hour version being the only way to watch the film for me. The Director's cut will certainly suffice.
Old July 23 2009, 09:41 AM   #843
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I plan on seeing the Director's Cut soon. I want to see Hollis Mason die, dammit.
Old July 23 2009, 01:53 PM   #844
Ethros
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I plan on seeing the Director's Cut soon. I want to see Hollis Mason die, dammit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVeg78Yfp7g
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 09:14 PM   #845
Dream
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Don't watch it on youtube. The scene deserves to been seen on dvd first!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 09:18 PM   #846
EnterpriseF
Commander

Did anyone have a problem with Doomsday device that was used in the movie? Why would Eddie kill himself over that? There is no way he could have known what he was looking at.
Old July 23 2009, 09:19 PM   #847
Daneel
Rear Admiral

^^^
Uh, Eddie didn't kill himself. Veidt killed him.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 10:02 PM   #848
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Don't watch it on youtube. The scene deserves to been seen on dvd first!
Yeah, I'm going to wait until I get the Blu-Ray. I really want to see this in pristine quality.
Old July 23 2009, 10:33 PM   #849
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Well, I don't have a Blu-Ray player, and I don't know when I'll be getting one any time soon. I still thought the movie looked terrific on standard DVD. Absolutely loved most of the new material. There were a couple of add-ons that weren't all that necessary, but the whole experience was as fantastic as when I saw the theatrical version for the first time at midnight, March 6th.

I'll emphasize a feeling I had back in March: Zack Snyder is 3 for 3 as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to see what he does for his fourth project!
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 10:39 PM   #850
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

First I didn't see the new cut.

Second, I gave it a high rating for some reason, when I originally psted on the thread

Bottom line, and I mihgt sound unfair, is that the film sucks. The characters and themes are so heavy handed its ridiculous. I feel bad for thinking Rorshack is my favorite character because I despise him. I only like him because he is proactive. So I like him on the same level that I like hurricanes because I believe they may be a way to test government responce time. There are good ideas in the film, perhaps two many. It doesn't play like a movie but a sequel to a movie I havent seen and the sequel existance is to simply tie up all the loose ends
Old July 23 2009, 11:58 PM   #851
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Daneel wrote: View Post
Yeah, I decided not to get it now either, especially if they are indeed going to come out with some sort of deluxe edition by the end of the year.
I hope you know that the Ultimate Edition that's coming out this winter is the director's cut with the pirate cartoon added into the movie. I think that showing parts of the cartoon while the movie is going on will be horribly distracting so I'm not going to bother with it. The director's cut is the way to go for me.

I noticed that the Best Buy near me had nearly sold out of the Director's Edition when I went yesterday. I'm glad the movie is selling well.
I agree. I felt that Tales of The Black Freighter was unnecessary and dragged the book down. I don't really need it integrated into the film. Plus I don't need a four hour version being the only way to watch the film for me. The Director's cut will certainly suffice.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't hate the Black Freighter but I didn't love it either, so getting the ultimate cut with it added in is unnecessary for me. I might just buy the standalone version though because I want to see the Under the Hood documentary with it.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 01:13 AM   #852
Dream
Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I'm in the same boat. I didn't hate the Black Freighter but I didn't love it either, so getting the ultimate cut with it added in is unnecessary for me. I might just buy the standalone version though because I want to see the Under the Hood documentary with it.
This week only Best Buy is selling the Black Freighter DVD (which had the Hood documentary) for $5 when you purchase of any version of Watchman. Target is also selling the Black Freigther dvd for $5. Good deals.

Caligula wrote: View Post
Well, I don't have a Blu-Ray player, and I don't know when I'll be getting one any time soon. I still thought the movie looked terrific on standard DVD. Absolutely loved most of the new material. There were a couple of add-ons that weren't all that necessary, but the whole experience was as fantastic as when I saw the theatrical version for the first time at midnight, March 6th.
I can't afford everything that's required for a blu-ray experience right now. Maybe someday so DVD will have to do for now.

The director's cut is now the definitive version for me. I don't know if I can watch the theatrical cut without always thinking that there are scenes missing or plotlines that had been trimmed.
Old July 24 2009, 01:29 AM   #853
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Here's another clip that convinces me that the movie makers don't get the graphic novel.

This scene in the graphic novel reads as a sharp contrast between the romantic "crime-fighting antics" of the past, and ugly reality of violence.

This clip makes it all seem like part of the same thing, like all violence is a ballet. Except for the crunching bit at the end, which is really weird.

The acting in front of the newstand is *terrible*. Fan film.

and this would give Hollis two scenes in the movie, instead of one...? why bother with the character at all?

I'm convinced not to try the director's edition.
Old July 24 2009, 01:44 AM   #854
Dream
Admiral

Yassim wrote: View Post
This clip makes it all seem like part of the same thing, like all violence is a ballet. Except for the crunching bit at the end, which is really weird.

The acting in front of the newstand is *terrible*. Fan film.

and this would give Hollis two scenes in the movie, instead of one...? why bother with the character at all?
Why have any minor character in the movie at all? Get rid of everyone except the main characters! But seriously Hollis Mason enhanced the film. Instead of having a cameo in the movie he gets an ending which I thought was really needed. The scene does a good job at showing how much chaos there is near the end.

I don't see how being beaten to death can be considered a good thing even with the music. It was pretty sad scene. The acting by the gang members isn't great. But it's only for a few seconds so it really doesn't bother me that much.
Old July 24 2009, 01:50 AM   #855
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile

I hope you know that the Ultimate Edition that's coming out this winter is the director's cut with the pirate cartoon added into the movie. I think that showing parts of the cartoon while the movie is going on will be horribly distracting so I'm not going to bother with it.
Bingo. Directors cut was great. 8.5 / 10 for me. I really enjoyed it, and I would've given it 9/10 if not for the.... choice.... of music during the Night Owl / Silk Spectre love scene.