Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
A+ 49 16.78%
A 66 22.60%
A- 56 19.18%
B+ 34 11.64%
B 24 8.22%
B- 16 5.48%
C+ 13 4.45%
C 9 3.08%
C- 5 1.71%
D+ 2 0.68%
D 9 3.08%
D- 5 1.71%
F 4 1.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2009, 06:13 PM   #826
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

You mean this?

Biggest and best version I can find with a quick look-
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2009...tchmen_056.jpg
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 11:09 PM   #827
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Why, yes, thank you!
Too bad its not in color.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 09:45 PM   #828
billcosby
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
I am more concerned about when the DvD comes out.
July 28th for the theatrical version and Director's Cut. The super-duper Ultimate Edition will be due some time in September, I think. Can't say for sure the exact date on it.
Are you certain? I can't find any evidence online of a Watchmen DVD release.

Oh, and per the discussion about the lineup image and a subsequent poster being needed, I am on board. I hope someone is able to licence one out. Fantastic. Perhaps a DVD screencap will do??

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 11:37 PM   #829
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
I am more concerned about when the DvD comes out.
July 28th for the theatrical version and Director's Cut. The super-duper Ultimate Edition will be due some time in September, I think. Can't say for sure the exact date on it.
Are you certain? I can't find any evidence online of a Watchmen DVD release.
It's either going to be July 21 or July 28th. Link

Personally I'm hoping for July 21st since it would make a good birthday present for me.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:42 AM   #830
billcosby
Commodore

Nice! July 21st. Happy birthday.
http://joblo.com/watchmen-dvd-deets

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 05:35 PM   #831
commodore64
Vice Admiral

I really enjoyed this movie. A- or B+
Old May 15 2009, 12:57 AM   #832
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I read where this first release is going to be fairly bare. Look for a double dip as early as the Holidays with more extras. That is what I'll hold out for. I'll not be a victim of the double dip if I can help it.
Old May 15 2009, 04:54 PM   #833
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Nice! July 21st. Happy birthday.
http://joblo.com/watchmen-dvd-deets
I know what I'll be watching on my birthday.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I read where this first release is going to be fairly bare. Look for a double dip as early as the Holidays with more extras. That is what I'll hold out for. I'll not be a victim of the double dip if I can help it.
Didn't you click on the link 2 posts above your post? In July we're getting the Director's Cut, which has 25 extra minutes of footage. As for the Ultimate Edition, all we know for sure about that is that the Black Freighter will be integrated into it, we don't know if will have any more cut footage put back in. That may mean it will have more footage of the newsstand people, but other then that we really don't know anything at this point. For all we know it will be the Director's Cut + The Black Freighter.

Personally I've never been a huge Black Freighter fan, so I think I'm just going to buy the standalone release of the Black Freighter with the Under the Hood documentary (which I'm personally more interested in seeing).

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 10:37 PM   #834
Dream
Admiral

I got the director's cut dvd last night. Watched the movie and really liked it. The 25 minutes really helped and I suggest fans to get that version over the theatrical cut.

The film felt much less rushed. During the first viewing I noticed a few things immediately.

The new Rorschach scenes near the start of the movie shows him more as a fugitive.
Nearly all the flashbacks during the Comedian's funeral were extended.
The Laurie running from the government storyline gave the character much needed screentime.
We had an added scene with Dr Manhattan teleporting the reporters out of the room before leaving for Mars showing off how angry he was.
Dr Manhattan's converstaion with Laurie on Mars was extended and included the puppets with strings line and his surprised reaction to finding out Laurie was with Dan.
We got more scenes with the newsstand and they actually showed two pages of the pirate comic!
The best new scene was Hollis Mason's death and Dan nearly killing the Knot gang member later on which I thought greatly develop both Nite Owls.

Overall it's an improvement. Looks like I gave the orginal theatrical cut an A- so I'll give the director's cut an A. It's still not perfect but I consider Watchmen to be a flawed masterpiece!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 11:25 PM   #835
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I got the director's cut dvd last night. Watched the movie and really liked it. The 25 minutes really helped and I suggest fans to get that version over the theatrical cut.

The film felt much less rushed. During the first viewing I noticed a few things immediately.

The new Rorschach scenes near the start of the movie shows him more as a fugitive.
Nearly all the flashbacks during the Comedian's funeral were extended.
The Laurie running from the government storyline gave the character much needed screentime.
We had an added scene with Dr Manhattan teleporting the reporters out of the room before leaving for Mars showing off how angry he was.
Dr Manhattan's converstaion with Laurie on Mars was extended and included the puppets with strings line and his surprised reaction to finding out Laurie was with Dan.
We got more scenes with the newsstand and they actually showed two pages of the pirate comic!
The best new scene was Hollis Mason's death and Dan nearly killing the Knot gang member later on which I thought greatly develop both Nite Owls.

Overall it's an improvement. Looks like I gave the orginal theatrical cut an A- so I'll give the director's cut an A. It's still not perfect but I consider Watchmen to be a flawed masterpiece!
Cool! I should be getting my copy tomorrow. Glad to hear that the flashbacks were extended because Comedian was, in my opinion, the best thing in the movie. Heard the stuff with Hollis Mason is really good too.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 11:31 PM   #836
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well i just saw the movie and i really did enjoy it, very dark but a good story, and it did its job of entertaining me for the entire length of the movie.

Good stuff.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 02:51 AM   #837
paudemge
Captain

I just saw the Watchman and I was very disappointed. It was obvious that Veidt was the villain, from almost the beginning, so much so that I was sure there would be some kind of twist. Rorschach was the only character I really liked, but I thought his voice was terrible because it just screamed Dark Night.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 04:43 AM   #838
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I liked the movie and debated getting it yesterday at Target.
As I'm unemployed I have to limit myself to such "luxuries" right now and I've already decided to get Dollhouse S1 this month so Watchmen will have to wait.
Old July 23 2009, 04:47 AM   #839
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I decided not to get it now either, especially if they are indeed going to come out with some sort of deluxe edition by the end of the year.

I did plan to rent it, but apparently the Director's Cut isn't available for rental, except on Blu-Ray. So I guess I'll just have to wait for now, and maybe see if I can borrow it from someone... Anybody here wanna lend me their copy?
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2009, 05:34 AM   #840
Dream
Admiral

Daneel wrote: View Post
Yeah, I decided not to get it now either, especially if they are indeed going to come out with some sort of deluxe edition by the end of the year.
I hope you know that the Ultimate Edition that's coming out this winter is the director's cut with the pirate cartoon added into the movie. I think that showing parts of the cartoon while the movie is going on will be horribly distracting so I'm not going to bother with it. The director's cut is the way to go for me.

I noticed that the Best Buy near me had nearly sold out of the Director's Edition when I went yesterday. I'm glad the movie is selling well.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote